The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 25, 2006, 02:30 PM   #26
TexasCop

+1 on the small gun safe. Mine is from Cannon safes and uses a push button simplex lock that you can reprogram as you want. I'm not big into anything that has a battery taht can run down and malfunction, whether it's a personal safe or a big safe, all mine have key/combo locks.
Old July 26, 2006, 07:23 AM   #27
Jack Bauer

Quote:
I sleep with a concealed carry piece in a shoulder holster, a backup gun on my leg, while cuddling my shotgun. I have two trained dobermans on either side of my bed and four pit bulls on the other side of a 3-inch titanium bedroom door. The exterior windows are bulletproof and I have 6 moving spotlights illuminating the yard with nearly a dozen cameras and motion detectors which will instantly sound an alarm and release the dogs on an intruder. The neighbors think I'm nuts but no home invasions yet!
I have the same setup! Works well, don't it?

I started out with nothing and still have most of it.
Old July 26, 2006, 09:47 AM   #28
revjen45

I sleep with anywhere from 2 to 5 handguns where I can reach them plus a 1,000,000 candlepower spotlight. No, I have never drawn down on my wife when she goes to the restroom. She is the only other person living in our home. I would rather be ready than fumbling with a lock when faced with imminent harm.
Old July 26, 2006, 12:14 PM   #29
PythonGuy

Have we reached the point of total absurdity yet???
Old July 26, 2006, 01:47 PM   #30
pdkflyguy

I think we're getting pretty close to it.
Walther P22 .22LR
Old July 26, 2006, 04:01 PM   #31
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
My safety is my brain. It rarely fails.
Now that's a much more interesting statement than it might appear to be. The question is, what part of your brain?

In the seconds after being rudely awakened, are all of your cognitive abilities functioning fully? Very few can say that they are. While you're trying to shake the cobwebs out, your subconscious is in control, and the trouble with that is the subconscious isn't the sharpest knife in the drawer. It can act, but it simply isn't capable of making a complex, shoot/don't shoot decision.

This is a case in which repetitive training can actually cause more harm than good. When you're awake and thinking, the conscious mind governs the muscle memory, but when you're half asleep, there is no governor reining in on the subconscious, and it's free to do what you've taught it, which is draw and shoot, without constraint.

As Col. Dave Grossman put it, "you've taught a puppy tricks". His theory is that the subconscious mind has about the same cognitive abilities as a dog. The question is, when your wife walks through your door, do you want that dog in charge of your weapon?

So what's the solution? How about setting the conditions so that the puppy can't access the weapon, but the master can? My way of doing that is to secure my weapon in such a way that it takes two, distinct actions requiring conscious thought to retrieve it. Specifically, I must open a closed drawer and draw the gun from a level III retention holster. I can still access the gun in a hurry if need be, but it's highly unlikely that I can do it without thinking, as in half asleep.

If any of you ever get the chance, I strongly recommend Col. Grossman's seminar on "The Bulletproof Mind". He addresses a lot of this in an interesting and entertaining way.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old July 26, 2006, 04:52 PM   #32
springmom

Which would be quicker?

Our CHL instructor does the same thing, Capt. Charlie, and strongly suggests that. The hubster and I were thinking about a bedside handgun safe instead for two reasons. First, hubster has been known to sleepwalk and he has in fact been known to open dresser drawers, looking for things, while sound asleep. Second, it functions as an all-the-time place for the bedside gun, whereas if I leave a gun in a drawer, youngest son will run across it while trying to scrounge for batteries for his CD Walkman

Up until now what I've done is put the XD on the nightstand (next to ME, not Sleeping Beauty next to me, lol) at bedtime and then put it back into my purse (its daytime home) in the morning. Now that I have 3 handguns of my own, though, one is going to live bedside all the time, and that means either getting it in and out of our big safe every time, or getting a little safe.

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old July 26, 2006, 07:16 PM   #33
farmer-dave

I had a similar incident happen to me about 10 years ago in college. I had a knee injury and the doctor gave me some 800 mg ibuprofen tablets. My girlfriend came in (middle of the night)I freaked out thinking she was a burglar (no gun) according to her I got up fists clenched and was ready to beat her up like a burglar had just walked in. I woke up the next morning having a crazy dream and my girlfriend was terrified of me. I had no idea what happened was a real event. I no longer take large doses of ibuprofen and I make sure I keep the gun in a place that I hope I'd have to really be awake to get it and I also have a lock on the bedroom door, plus I'm married now so no middle of the night surprise guests
Old July 26, 2006, 07:27 PM   #34
John28226

Did I miss it?

Did anyone mention that cocking a revolver under stress might be a mistake in itself?

My wife does not know that you can cock her 637. All of our shooting is double action which allows for a slight "press" without firing.

In any event, everyone has a different situation at their home. Hopefully each will address it appropriately. What worked for me with small children in the house was a revolver loaded with Speer plastic ammo. Never had to use it in an emergency but if I had, I am confident that the intruder would have thought they had been shot with something more powerful.

Maybe I am wrong but I happen to believe that most house breakers are seeking an easy target and don't come ready to shoot me.

John
Charlotte, NC
Old July 26, 2006, 08:20 PM   #35
kenneth owens

you need to check out (gunvaults) I have the gv 1000 it is a very nice safe
Old July 26, 2006, 09:37 PM   #36
BobK

1. Training, training, and training.
2. Use a pistol lock box.
3. Never cock a double action revolver. They are meant to used DA only unless you need a precision shot at a moderate distance.
4. Have your girlfriend call before she gets home.
Old July 27, 2006, 10:37 AM   #37
Sport45

Maybe if you keep firearms out at night you shouldn't give house keys to everyone you know?
Old July 27, 2006, 10:51 AM   #38
Roberta X

Drill, drill, drill: I never, ever have a finger in the triggerguard until I am going to fire. Not at the range, not at home with a gun I unloaded that has never left my hands, not nohow ever.

It seems to work. When my ex was working nights and cheating on me mornings (nope, I had no idea. I'm a ijit that way), he started being very, very quiet when he came home -- even though I was begging him to be noisy, as he was getting home about the time I needed to get up anyway.

Well, sneaking in kept waking me up with adrenaline going (yeech), and sure enough, the little DAO would be the first thing I'd pick up -- but held at ready and finger off the trigger. Drill. My subconscious -- or whatever -- only knows the one way to handle a gun. (AFAIK, he was only aware of this once, when he'd done an exceptionally good job of sneaking in and caught me reholstering).

Living alone now, the little DAO is never far from me. And never unloaded.

Girl Gunblogger: The Adventures Of Roberta X

Last edited by Roberta X; July 29, 2006 at 10:55 AM.
Old July 27, 2006, 12:50 PM   #39
FRANK1669

Quote:
My wife does not know that you can cock her 637. All of our shooting is double action which allows for a slight "press" without firing.

Never cock a double action revolver. They are meant to used DA only unless you need a precision shot at a moderate distance.

Drill, drill, drill: I never, ever have a finger in the triggerguard until I am going to fire. Not at the range, not at home with a gun I unloaded that has never left my hands, not nohow ever.
The reason I cock a DA is my first shot I want the most accuracy possible for the number 1 reason. the Number 2 reason if someone is that close and get there hand on your weapon ( exactly they grab the cylinder) You cant fire a double action I live in a small house from my door to my bed is only 10 maybe 12 feet

Seriously, How do you drill for someone waking you? The time it took me to grab cock and point(aimed and ready to fire) from the door opening was probably less than a second defiantly less than 2 seconds she hadn’t finished opening the door or and was only half way in. I'm always looking for ways to improve my knowledge of firearms whether it is to shoot faster safer or how they work
Old July 27, 2006, 01:33 PM   #40
Ares45

Quote:
Have we reached the point of total absurdity yet???
Quote:
I think we're getting pretty close to it.
No, we're definitely there.
Old July 27, 2006, 09:36 PM   #41
tepin

Thanks for sharing. In my house there is a duty to announce even when it means waking up the other person. Plus, playing the odds, statistically, having someone invade your home would be like winning the lottery; well maybe a little better then winning the lottery. So, when I hear a noise in the middle of the night I grab the gun but assume it’s probably not an intruder.
Old July 28, 2006, 12:39 AM   #42
BobK

Frank, regarding shooting your revolver SA or DA.

Shooting a revolver DA only accurately is an art. It is possible but takes much practice.

Using the SA mode in self defense is not wise and could bring about a law suit or worse in getting someone hurt unintentionally. Decocking a revolver is also potentially hazardous. Yes, it's easier to shoot SA accurately. But it's also easier to make a mistake.
Old July 28, 2006, 12:56 AM   #43
raymond-

i dont see why one shouldn't cock the hammer to induce SA mode. after all,
we strive to become one with our firearm. we forge ourselves to become
a fighting machine. we train so our 'safety' is our brain -- it never fails.

whoa...i almost pulled it off w/o smiling. truth is, as Capt Charlie implied
above, we are human and comes with that, the ebb and flow of human
emotions, physical limitations and distractions. and if that hasn't sunk in,
then you're resigned to live in your fantasy world of "Keyboard Mercenary,
Super Hero"

There is no perfect answer for everyone. The tools are to be selected and
configured for your level of skill and discipline. the training should never
stop....and should be replenished on a regular basis.
Old July 28, 2006, 05:46 AM   #44
U.S.SFC_RET

I agree that having a loaded gun on a night stand can lead to a burglar picking it up and you staring at the barrel. I also agree that it being on the nightstand just leaves the gun too accessible when you are half asleep. I might have a solution for you. Buy the type of pistol safe that mounts into the wall and looks like a picture frame, all you need to do is swing open the picture and take out the gun. You have to stand up to do it and tha is a lot safer than picking up a pistol when you are half asleep. It's also serves as a hiding place in case a burglar decides to visit your home when you are not there or when kids are around, whether they are your kids or someone else's.
4. Know the target and what's beyond it.
Old July 28, 2006, 07:39 AM   #45
PythonGuy

You can buy the type of pistol safe that mounts to your bedframe and has a touch keypad that you can program to a code of your choosing. They are very well made and offer the peace of mind to get a good nights sleep, literally, but keep your weapon close. You can find them online for $75 to $100 and it's an excellent solution to this matter.
Old July 28, 2006, 06:29 PM   #46
Roberta X

You're going to need every second you have if someone breaks into your house. Struggling with a lock or standing to get at some complicated hiding place can get you killed.

If you don't have children (or child-like adults) running loose in your home, why get complicated? If you simply must hide your sidearm, why not just put it in the nightstand drawer? --Or admit to yourself that if push comes to shove you're not actually willing to defend yourself, and put the thing away in the safe, from which it is unlikely to crawl out and discharge itself.

...Last but not least, if you've not drilled yourself to never, ever stick your finger through the trigger guard until you're on target and ready to shoot, just what have you been doing? I see the trigger-sloppy most every time I go to the range. They worry me. IMO, it's no way to handle firearms.

Girl Gunblogger: The Adventures Of Roberta X

Last edited by Roberta X; July 29, 2006 at 10:56 AM.
Old July 28, 2006, 08:38 PM   #47
BobK

The pistol boxes are great if you have kids. But the problem I have with most pistol lock boxes is that most of them make some sort of noise when being opened such as a audible beep or mechanical click. This definately gives you away in a quiet house. I have one bolted to the top of my dresser. When I come home I put my gun in it. At bed time the gun is next to me on my nightstand.

I think the key to the whole situation is communication with family members and making it as difficult as possible for someone to break into your home. Give yourself every possible opportunity to hear your bad guy while he is trying to break in. The only way someone is going to get in my house is to break glass. I will definately hear that and have enough time for my motor skills to work and my head to clear.

Home security should not start and end with the purchase of a firearm. There is much more to consider.
Old July 28, 2006, 08:50 PM   #48
John28226

Well Said

Roberta, you said it very well. I agree with you and would suggest that, since each situation is different, anyone trying to use a broad brush method should rethink their position.

Frank, cock your revolver if that is your preference. I happen to think that double action is safer and just as accurate. I shoot that way up to 50 yards which is a little more space than from my bed to the door.

When I am home, my alarm is set; when I am traveling my gun is in my shoe beside the bed. The funny "latch" on the door is engaged.

Hopefully I will never have to shoot anyone but I have had occasion to think that I might need to do so and the available gun was quite comforting.

John
Old July 29, 2006, 01:43 AM   #49
choochboost

I am amazed that some of you are saying that you are not fully awake when "something goes bump in the night". When that happens to me...something that makes me want to go for my gun...I am VERY awake.

And there it is....
Old August 3, 2006, 11:24 PM   #50
The Texican.

Rio ------ We also have 5 house dogs. <<<>>> Why???
++++++

Home Security: Dogs, motion detectors and loaded weapons.

One or two dogs in the house that bark at anyone that approaches the house is your first alarm. We have two that have been trained with positive reinforcement to bark when someone approaches the house.

Our second alarm is a motion detector in the living area at the hallway to the bedroom wing.

Third alarm is two loaded S&W's, one on each side of the bed. I had my first weapon (a single shot 22 rifle) at the age of five and was raised with loaded weapons in the house. Our sons were rasied that way and our grandson is being rasied that way. Teach and children will learn and follow the teachings.

Get a motion detector (Cleaner than dogs, but not as fun especailly when they go off at 2:30 in the morning the detectors and the dogs.). Set the detector every time you go to bed. If it alarms, react as if your home has been invaded, until you know otherwise.

Having a motion detector or fire alarm that are not activated is like having a gun that is not loaded, you could potentially forfeit your life because of same.