The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old August 6, 2000, 12:30 PM   #1
Paladin1

Anyone keep a vest for home defense? If so, would like some advice on model, source, etc. Any other thoughts on subject would be appreciated as well. Thanks!

------------------
"I love to do things that scare me, for without fear there is no courage..."
Old August 6, 2000, 01:24 PM   #2
mnealtx

Bud, I know this isnt going to help a WHOLE lot, but if you do a websearch, you can find a LOT of info....as for owning one, I just took possession of a Safariland Level II vest.

------------------
Mike
[email protected]
Old August 6, 2000, 01:31 PM   #3
Paladin1

What prompted you to pick the Safariland II?

------------------
Old August 7, 2000, 02:16 AM   #4
G50AE

Second Chance makes the best vests.
www.secondchance.com

[This message has been edited by G50AE (edited August 07, 2000).]
Old August 7, 2000, 01:56 PM   #5
wakal

I'll second that "Second Chance" comment...I've owned/sold/traded most of the major brands and a few off-brand rubbish, and my own vest is a Second Chance. If other vest company CEO's took their products as seriously as Rich "I've Shot Myself Almost 200 Times" Davis, maybe I'd take their claims as seriously as I take his.

Alex
Old August 13, 2000, 08:59 PM   #6
Jake 98c/11b

I gotta agree with you guys about Second Chance vests, best in the buisness. Second Chance make the lightest, thinnest, mmost comfortable vests available and Richard Davis is a great guy. I was lucky enough to meet him at his 181st self inflicted gunshot injury, 6" nickled model 29 with Black Talons. Walked up and said "nice to meet you sir, I keep wanting to call you David Richards. I guess you know Mr Ross?" had a nice long conversation after that.
Old August 14, 2000, 02:12 AM   #7
YeeDude

Tangent questions for the Second Chance advocates: Second Chance (if memory serves) has a policy of generally not selling to the general public -how does a non LEO/military person buy one of their vests?
Old August 14, 2000, 01:35 PM   #8
Paladin1

Good question, YeeDude. I'd be interested in that answer as well.

------------------
Old August 14, 2000, 03:59 PM   #9
Banzai

Second Chance WILL sell to the general public, just that their greatest demand is from LEO and Military contracts, who not only pre order, but pre pay. Hard to get in front of need and money like that. Thus, you will wait almost forever, and pay a premium(almost three times what LEOs pay).
Then again, Second Chance has the BEST record in the industry. They will tell you everything that you want to know about each shooting, good or bad, as well as lessons learned from each. They keep a very extensive database of their products. Be wary of brands that have "No Complaints", and trust in brands that back up their products with published data.

Tom

------------------
A "Miss" is the ultimate overpenetration!
You can never be too rich, too skinny, or too well armed!
Wake up and realize that you have the moral imperative of action..!!!
Old August 16, 2000, 10:23 AM   #10
Sea Bass

To buy a vest from second chance, you need to go to a local dealer and fill out a form. This form has info on yourself etc. that is kept of file w/them. Only non LEO have to fill out the background form.
Old June 16, 2001, 04:14 PM   #11
Justin Moore

What about Safariland? Do they sell to the public as well? Thanks....
Democracy: A government of the masses, authority derived through mass meetings or any other form of direct expression; results in mobocracy; attitude toward property is communistic negating property rights; attitude toward law is that the will of the majority shall regulate whether it is based upon deliberation or governed by passion, prejudice, and impulse, without restraint or regard to consequences; its result is dem-o-gogism, license, agitation, discontent and anarchy.

Republic: Authority is derived through the election by the people of public officials best suited to represent them. Attitude toward property is respect for laws and individual rights and a sensible economic procedure. Attitude toward law is the administration of justice in accord with fixed principles that establish evidence with a strict regard for consequences. A greater number of citizens and extent of territory may be brought within its compass, it avoids the dangerous extremes of either tyranny or mobocracy. Results in statesmanship, liberty, reason, justice contentment and progress, is a standard for government around the world.
Old June 16, 2001, 04:52 PM   #12
Bulldog

I have an old Second Chance level II - That's a heavy SOB with my big-ole 8" x 12" K30 trauma plate and is not very comfortable. That said, Second Chance has come a long way since I got my vest from them, and they are producing some remarkably light (and remarkably expensive) stuff.

I also have a like-new 1995 Safariland IIIa that my roommate gave to me. Someone gave it to him, and the department he works for now issued him a new vest, so he gave me the Safariland. It's pretty nice and much more comfortable than my older Second Chance. I thought it was a II at first until I pulled out the panels and read the labels.

If you have the money and want the absolute best, go with a top-of-the-line Second Chance. You can't really beat them. If you can, get one custom fitted, because there's no real one-size-fits-all vest that'll be truly comfortable. But then again, you're looking for something for home defense rather than everyday wear.

In the end, Erick pretty much summed it up with "Any vest is a good vest when you need it." I guess my best advice would be to get the best vest you can afford. Anything from Second Chance, Point Blank, American Body Armor, Galls, etc should be just fine and dandy for your purpose.

As far as how to get a vest that is generally restricted to LEO, do a search on eBay (http://search.ebay.com/search/search...ery=body+armor).
Old June 16, 2001, 05:14 PM   #13
Bulldog

Hey Paladin - I just noticed you're here in Texas. I don't know if you're in the Dallas area, but if you are, you could give Regional Uniform & Supply in Plano a call. He's a Second Chance distributor and generally has decent prices. On occassion, he'll keep 2 or 3 vests on the rack for purchase.

1410 Summit Ave #2 - East of Ave K and the next street North of Plano Parkway.
Old June 17, 2001, 09:40 AM   #14
Double Naught Spy

Second Chance has the reputation for the best vests and certainly seem to have the lightest vests, but they are also the most expensive vests. Their lightest IIIA vest runs about $1300. If I wore all the time, I would consider the investment worthwhile.

Through www.Galls.com, you can get some decent prices. Galls' own vests are actually Safariland inserts inside Galls' carriers and you can save about $100 (depending on model) by buying Galls' version

Something to keep in mind, the weights given by Galls are for a size Medium in Regular length. My vest was listed at about 3.25 lbs, but I wear a large long and it is really closer to 5 lbs.

They are great insullation in the winter. Too bad I live in Texas.
Old June 17, 2001, 05:15 PM   #15
D-SEC

Do you think it is really necessary to wear body armour in your own home?It says alot about society these days. I don't know, I must be old fashioned or something.
Old June 18, 2001, 04:40 PM   #16
Double Naught Spy

It is not necessary to wear body armor in your own home any more than it is necessary to wear a gun in your own home. If your home is broken into by a gun weilding bandit, you are going to want to have both. You may or may not have time to put on the armor, but if you do have the time, then it is to your benefit. Having body armor to wear says nothing new a compared to having a gun and having a gun in the home has been around for a long time.
Old June 19, 2001, 07:29 PM   #17
SDforce

body armor

Check out the new Xtreme ZX and X from American Body Armor. They are by far the lightest and thinnest vests I have ever tried on. They are much cheaper than Second Chance. Aardvark Tactical carries them at http://www.swatgear.com