The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old December 11, 2012, 09:24 PM   #1
baddarryl

Browning Grades?

I am getting interested in Brownings specifically. Can anyone enlighten me to their 'grades'. I know it is stock quality, just not sure how the rating system works. Thank you.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Glenn E. Meyer

Shotguns? If so, this will be moved. More info please.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:43 PM   #3
baddarryl

Well right now I am looking for a BL22, but I have seen Grades talked about on these as well as shotguns and even X bolts, so I figured to ask here.
Old December 11, 2012, 09:53 PM   #4
Glenn E. Meyer

If it's general, then let's leave it here.

Thanks for the clarification.
Old December 11, 2012, 10:03 PM   #5
gaseousclay

Quote:
Well right now I am looking for a BL22, but I have seen Grades talked about on these as well as shotguns and even X bolts, so I figured to ask here.
if i'm not mistaken the grades for the BL22 denote one with an engraved receiver and one without. don't know about Browning's other firearms though
Old December 12, 2012, 07:07 AM   #6
baddarryl

As far as BL's I have seen Grade I and II's. The two's looked a little nicer and there was one advertised as maybe a 3 that was really nice. I am assuming the higher the grade the better. I wonder if it it is that way for all their stuff.
Old December 12, 2012, 07:23 AM   #7
Esox

As far as I know on all Brownings the grade 1 is the base unit, with little if any engraving etc. As the number gets higher, the better the grade of gun.
Old December 15, 2012, 06:34 PM   #8
bn12gg

Baddaryll-- There are essentially 3 BL22 lever action 22's. These petite lever action rifles date back to 1969/70-- the date is under the receiver rather than on the side of the receiver and the barrel is marked "patent pending." These older BL22's came in Grade I and II (the latter have an engraved receiver). The trigger on these early BL22's are thought superior to those made since and up until our day. The French walnut on the early rifles was also superior and lovely (like mine). Today's BL22's continue in Grade I and II (receivers engraved). They are a fine rifle and at least in my experience with a 1970 -- very accurate. A 3rd BL22 variant is the octagon barreled version. These turn up from time to time and look pretty cool. I've never handled one but if you come across one you might want to grab it, as they are rare.

All nice rifles!

Just my .02

David
Old December 16, 2012, 04:24 AM   #9
Hal

Quote:
Well right now I am looking for a BL22
I have one of the BL22's with the engraving. IIRC, it's a grade II.
Pretty little gun with a nasty trigger.
It's been back to Browning twice to have the trigger reworked to make it at half way decent.
It cost me an arm and a leg to buy it in 2000.
I disliked it enough that I tried to trade it back in on something else.
The dealer didn't want it back and said the only way would be if he really low balled me on the value.
I didn't want to take that bad of a hit so I hung on to it.

It's also got a funky weird way of cocking. The trigger moves along with the lever. At first I thought that was pretty innovative. The more I used it though, the more it irritated me.

To be 100% fair though....

MY wife had earlier picked up a Wincheter "Trapper" in .22.
That thing is to die for smooth, has a great trigger, "normal" cocking and cost less - a whole lot less.

FWIW - I picked mine up the day my grandson was born. It was my intention to buy him a nice lever action .22 that he could have when the time came.
I didn't want it to be a gift type of gun, I wanted it to be a "grandpa gun", something I shot and took care of then handed it off to him when the time came.
LOL! Best laid plans and all that eh?