The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 25, 2012, 10:13 PM   #51
dacaur

Its not like you cant do batch on a turret. In fact you can have the best of both worlds. Remove and insert new primer, drop powder, then put it in a loading block, still way faster than a single stage

Quote:
Rifleman1776 - Comparing Lee with Lee is like searching for the world's talled midget.
Comparing loses is always an exercise in frustration.
Its obvious you havent used any of the current lee presses, because every time I have seen someone write stuff like that, it always turns out they have either never used a lee press or perhaps formed an opinion 25 years ago when they tried one of lees first metallic cartridge presses way back when and for whatever reason dont think a company can improve their products....

Opinions are valuable only when they are formed from first hand experience. Listening to opinions based on color bias, price bias, secondhand reports or products that are no longer in productions is always an exercise in frustration.
Old April 25, 2012, 11:05 PM   #52
Lost Sheep

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wile
(edited for brevity)
I would think one could do 50 rounds faster on the auto-index turret press than I can do with a single stage press. While you would only put each case in the press once, you would still have the same or near-same number of handle cycles to do the same number of finished rounds.
I am between two to three times as fast with an Auto-Indexing Turret vs a Single Stage. If I had to do manual indexing I firmly believe I would still be faster than with a single stage, but not as fast as with auto-indexing. I estimate 50% faster up to 100% faster. (1.5x to 2x for the math-challenged)

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Wile
(edited for brevity)
If I want to make a significant change in my throughput speed of reloading, I would skip the auto-indexing machine and go to a true progressive.
I had a true progressive and switched back to the turret for two reasons

1 It unnerved me trying to monitor multiple simultaneous operations.

2 Caliber swaps are much easier and cheaper with the turret than a progressive.

I found that my speed with my autoindexing turret was as fast as my speed on my progressive (totally because on the progressive, I was stopping all the time to check those pesky unnerving simultaneous operations) and at the end of each reloading session I was relaxed instead of rattled.

Lost Sheep
Old April 30, 2012, 09:54 AM   #53
jekemi

Turret Press

I am new to this site (It's great). I use both the Lee Classic Turret press and the Lee Loadmaster (with many modifications). I have reloaded thousands of rounds on my Lee Turret press and it's the best Turret press on the market from a value standpoint - most features for the least $$.

While the Lee Loadmaster basic press is a great press the accessories are cheap, unreliable, and require constant tinkering to get the whole process working correctly. Therefore, I have completely modified the primer mechanism, build an automatic case feeder, use a Hornady bullet feed tube, and use the Hornady LNL case activated powder measure. Now it's a thing of beauty, extremely reliable, and durable. Even with all the modifications it was still less expensive than a comparably equipped Hornady, RCBS, or Dillon progressive.

If I were starting out I definitely would get the Lee Classic Turret press.