The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old September 15, 2008, 03:41 PM   #1
Darimian

Hammer, Beavertail grip safety & trigger upgrades

Hi there,

I have a Springfield Armory Trophy Match which I have been customizing little by little as you can see from these pictures.

The next and last steps are parts I will not take any risk to change myself. I want an STI spur hammer, STI long aluminum (silver) trigger and STI beavertail grip safety.

I will have these installed by a competent gunsmith, BUT I was wondering if I should add other STI parts to these in order to match the three initial ones, especially the hammer? Usually, one sees hammers being sold as kits together with the sear, springs and strut. Is this absolutely necessary, or can I let the gunsmith re-use the Springfield internals with the new STI parts?
Thanks
Darimian

Before

After

Old September 16, 2008, 10:48 AM   #2
Unclenick
Staff

One of the great things about 1911's is broad part interchangeability. If you are happy with the performance of the SA internals, leave them be. The other parts will be fit to match them. Cosmetics will be your only interchangeability issue, and as long as you are happy with how they look, you should be good to go.

If you are not happy with the performance of the internals, make all the changes at once so any filing or other part matching is done with the final parts in place and so the gunsmith can check their performance together. That includes their functional safety, which is what makes it important that they be checked together.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old September 20, 2008, 11:01 AM   #3
HiBC

I just noticed you are combining a spur hammer with a high ride grip safety.You may discover the spur hammer will not work.The High ride grip safeties ordinarily require a commander style or bobbed spur hammer.