The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old February 11, 2007, 01:57 PM   #1
joevilla71

Les Baer Choices for Competition

If you had to choose one of these which would it be??

1. Les Baer TRS with Night Sites 100 rounds through it: $1450.00
2. Les Baer Premier II built 2000 by Les Baer Jr. 1000 through it: $1450.00

I am having a hard time with the choices.

Thanks,
Joe
Old February 11, 2007, 03:49 PM   #2
Jim Watson

What kind of competition?

Night sights are not much help unless you shoot at an IDPA or "tactical" range where there is a lot of low-light shooting done.

The adjustable sights on a PII will serve a lot of uses, though I would get a fibre optic front for IDPA or IPSC.

Since they are both used guns, try for a testfire.

Me?
I don't like the thin grips on TRS, would go with the PII. If it shot.
Old February 11, 2007, 04:22 PM   #3
joevilla71

Thank you for the reply.

I am shooting my first USPSA match this next month.

Thank You,
Joe
Old February 11, 2007, 10:36 PM   #4
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

The Premier II, hands down, Joe.

Other than the fact that the Premier II is designed more with competition in mind than the TRS (the Thunder Ranch model is primarily designed as a defensive weapon), all Baers come from the factory extremely tight. Out of the box, it's even difficult to pull the slide back the first few dozen times.

With that in mind, 100 rounds through the TRS isn't even close to being broken in, while 1000 rounds through the Premier is a nice start. Some say "breaking in" is a myth, but with most Les Baer pistols, it's a fact. The internal parts need to mate with each other, just as the slide needs to mate to the frame.

It took over 500 rounds before I considered my Les Baer Custom Carry reliable.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Old February 12, 2007, 07:27 AM   #5
Joe D

That price seems a little high for a used PII. You can buy a new one for about that. OTOH a $700 Kimber will do everything the LB will do.
As far as that goes a $400 RIA Tactical will do the same thing. I do understand the lure of a fine 1911 like the LB. I am just too cheap to spend the money.
There is a certain satisfaction associated with beating the guys using the high dollar 1911s with a $400 one.
Seems like the price I saw from one of the dealers was $1450 for a new PII. IMO the PII, if you want to spend that kind of money, is the best buy in a semi-custom 1911. I find it to be a much better gun than a Wilson or Night Hawk.
Old February 12, 2007, 09:45 AM   #6
joevilla71

I appreciate the postings and thoughts. I think I am buying the PII because everyone keeps pointing me in that same direction. I am not in a big hurry so I may try to find one that is used for a very good price before buying.

Thanks,
Joe
Old February 12, 2007, 10:56 AM   #7
HSMITH

The PII is the better choice by a good margin.

I also agree with Joe D that for a semi-custom the PII is about as good as it gets.

That all said, for that kind of money I would go full custom.
Old February 16, 2007, 05:04 PM   #8
evan1293

I own both a prem II and TRS... I agree that the price is a little steep for a used p II (unless its a 1.5" gun, then its reasonable)... I also prefer the standard grips to the thin, slippery grisps that are standard on the trp. One thing that was not mentioned was that for IDPA the trs is nice because on stages that require drawing from concealment, the sights are much less 'snaggy' as compared with the lbc adj. sights on the prem II. That aside, I will be using my prem II with a dawson fiber optic front sight for Idpa next season. either gun in my opinion is a fine choice... best of Luck!!