The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Competition Shooting

Old March 6, 2007, 11:53 PM   #1
FM12

NRA Action Pistol

Any body shoot the NRA Action Pistol courses? I'm thinking about starting a club in sw Alabama, and would like some feedback...how does it compare to IDPA and IPSC? Thanks for any input...Man, I LOVE this forum! FM12
Old March 7, 2007, 12:41 AM   #2
eerw

NRA action is different than IPSC and IDPA.

NRA action has four courses of fire.
plates, mover, practical and barricade
it is shot from varying distances out to 50 yards.
0n each stage there are 48 rounds fired for a total of 192.
Each stage is string on each stage is fixed time.

more info:
NRA Action
Old March 7, 2007, 12:50 AM   #3
FM12

I'm looking for something more "practical" and realistic than the other "run and gun" formats, such as ipsc...may have to develop my own courses...Then I could be the BOSS (my wife told me I could say that)
Anyone else see the problem I have with ipsc, idpa, or is it just me? Maybe I'm confused...no wait, maybe I'm not...
Old March 7, 2007, 02:32 PM   #4
JRD

I dont see how you can get much more practical than the IDPA style myself? Maybe I dont understand what you are wanting though? Personally, I enjoy shooting steel more than any cardboard cutout.
Old March 7, 2007, 04:40 PM   #5
Jim Watson

I see the "problem" you have with IDPA and IPSC - and as said Acton Pistol is even more formalized. But putting on your own outlaw event with your own rules will distance you from every other similar competition. You might look into TSA and IDSA, they are small but a lot of the work has been done for you and you can have at least a little communication and comparison.
Old March 8, 2007, 12:26 AM   #6
FM12

I'm not familiar with them, I'll google and see what I can find...besides there are no other clubs within 100 miles.
Old March 8, 2007, 12:41 AM   #7
capbuster

Steel city sports shooting association in the Birmingham area conducts regular practical handgun matches. The club has a web sight. You may find this type match to your liking. You may want to participate. The schedule is listed on the web site.
Old March 8, 2007, 01:19 AM   #8
FM12

Thanks Cliff and Jim...checked out the two websites, and am intrigued by the TSA...Cliff, its about 200 miles to Bham to shoot, cant afford the time or gas, thanks, however, for the info...still looking and thinking (plotting)...I'm thinking more of a tactical/pratical ( I'm career LEO, firearms instructor) with realistic scenarios where you have to think about tactics more than you do about saving seconds, etc...not really trying to "trash" other disciplines and styles, just want to be more realistic. Hope you can understand where I'm coming from, FM12
Old March 9, 2007, 07:52 AM   #9
1911ONR

NRA AP can be very rewarding yet challenging. Accuracy is more important than speed as the time limits are somewhat generous. The COFs are as eerw listed. A lot of run & gunners are humbled at the Bianchi Cup. On the speed vs. accuracy scale, here my list:
Bullseye
PPC
NRA AP
IDPA
IPSC
Steel Challenge

There's an NRA AP sub-forum on the Brian Enos web site if you are interested in more information.
Old March 9, 2007, 10:26 PM   #10
FM12

Thanks, 1911onr, I'll check it out! FM12