The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 31, 2013, 07:19 PM   #1
virg

Speedloader carry ideas?

Hello everyone. I would like to know how you guys conceal your speedloaders when carrying them in summer type attire? I love to carry my SP101 and two extra speedloaders when I'm out and about and now that it is winter it's easy to do since I can carry them in my jacket pocket. But they are harder to carry concealed in my summer clothes. I read about this one guy who carries his in a Leatherman sheath. I was just wondering how you guys carry yours concealed?
Old December 31, 2013, 08:02 PM   #2
Bultaco

I switch to speed strips. Flat is much easier to conceal.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:25 PM   #3
SansSouci

I resolved this problem by switching to a P-229.

I do have a Model 60 that I used to carry off duty. Not only did I not have much faith in a .38 Special to save my life, I have to figure out a way to make a small speed loader available. And a revolver is much more difficult to reload in darkness and under stress.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:36 PM   #4
Dfariswheel

Safariland holsters sell "Split Six" speedloader pouches.
The pouch is designed so three rounds are behind your belt and three are in the front.
This makes for a much less bulky way to carry and conceal loaders.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:54 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

My CCW revolver is a 7-shot.

I live in a town with better than average police coverage. I figure, it's highly unlikely the cops will be more than 7 shots away. So I don't carry a speedloader.

But the above-mentioned speed strips are a good idea. I'm gonna give that some serious thought.
Old December 31, 2013, 08:59 PM   #6
DannyB1954

I have a leather and a nylon belt carry bag. I like the nylon better.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old January 1, 2014, 10:08 AM   #7
wogpotter

Quote:
Safariland holsters sell "Split Six" speedloader pouches.
The pouch is designed so three rounds are behind your belt and three are in the front.
This.
It works till you grow a keg from the original six-pack , but then they stick out at an odd angle.

Elderly Hunter: “That's dashed unsporting. Probably Belgium.”
Old January 1, 2014, 10:33 AM   #8
ClydeFrog

Speed-loaders....

I agree that for concealment & for practical use, speed strips are better.
I'm left handed & used a few 6rd Bianchi strips with my Ruger GPNY revolver in the 2000s.
Speed-loaders like HKS or Safariland aren't bad, but you need to get the technique down for them to use it quickly.
Tuff Products new bright orange strips are impressive. They come in a wide # of calibers(.38spl, .44spl, .45acp, 10mm, .41magnum, etc) & have 5/6/7 round strips for newer revolvers.

As for speedloader carry, Id look at the gear from Galco, Safariland, El Paso Saddlery, Don Hume, and DeSantis. Some shoulder rigs offer off-side speedloaders.

Clyde
Old January 1, 2014, 12:33 PM   #9
s4s4u

The likelyhood of having to shoot a single round in self defense is minute. That said, I also carry a speed strip JIC.
Old January 1, 2014, 01:55 PM   #10
Bay Mule 45

I use a Don Hume model that is a single for my J frames. It is unobtrusive and mine is in Black. Some times I also use 6 round covered cartridge slides and they are flat against the belt and very concealable. I have four and they are made out of leather and mine are from DeSantis, Don Hume,and Galco (2). And the colors are black and or tan.

They require practice to use whether it is speedloader or speedstrip or cartridge slide. But one should be proficient with something you're going to depend on to save your life.
Old January 1, 2014, 05:34 PM   #11
KyJim

I use a speed strip and ammo pouch from Simply Rugged -- http://shop.simplyrugged.com/ecommer...170&parent=671
Old January 1, 2014, 06:12 PM   #12
Deaf Smith

Virg,

Carry an airweight S&W .38 as the spare load.

Deaf
Old January 1, 2014, 11:17 PM   #13
ClydeFrog

Tuff Products; holsters....

FWIW;
Tuff Products also markets a well made pocket rig that holds a snub revolver & a Tuff Products quik-strip(5rd).
That's a handy combo.
I read a tip on a gun forum a few years ago that I still like; put 02 speed strips/quik-strips in a Altoids mint tin.
You can put it out without any strange glances or problems.

Clyde
Old January 2, 2014, 01:36 AM   #14
bamaranger

split six

I occassionaly sally forth with an old M28, and will carry a speed loader on the aforementioned "split-6" type carrier, 3 behind/3 ahead of the belt. Thinking that the single loader type I have was made by Bucheimer. I also have a "2x2" pouch that sees use and is very flat.
Old January 2, 2014, 06:19 AM   #15
OxyGuy

Quote:
I resolved this problem by switching to a P-229.
That's just creating another problem. LOL

A couple of speed strips disappear in a pocket.
Old January 2, 2014, 09:51 AM   #16
JERRYS.

if I have to dress so light that a J frame is the biggest gun I can carry, I carry two of them. if I can conceal a K frame its with safariland comps and split six.
Old January 2, 2014, 10:15 AM   #17
Grant D

I wear loose fitting Wranglers, so if I'm carrying a K frame, I carry a speedlaoder in my right front pocket.

When I carry a J frame, I put two speedstrips in the watch pocket.

And always have my LCP in my back pocket for a back up.
Old January 3, 2014, 09:52 AM   #18
Viper225

When I belt carry my 442 Pro Moon Clip: I have a pair of California Competition Works "Shoot A Moon" single post moon clip carriers designed for the 5 shot J Frame. I carry either one or two infront of my holster strong side.

When I carry my 2" Model 15, 3" 66, or my 315 Night Guard: I carry my Safariland Comp II speed loaders in Safariland CD-2 spring steel belt carriers strong side infront of the holster.

When I carry my 310 Night Guard: I carry my moon cliped 10mm ammo in a "Shoot A Moon" single post carrier infront of the holster strong side.

When I pocket carry my 442 in a Jacket Pocket I normally carry Tuff Products Speed Strips. I like them in Orange, and I normally carry one that should hold one more than a full reload for a better hand hold on the strip. For a 5 shot I would carry a 6 shot model down loaded to 5. For a 6 shooter I would go with a 7 shot model down loaded to 6. I have a couple pockets sewn in a Dennim Jcket to hold a pair. I also have the Tuff Products Nylon Belt Carriers for them. OR just slip them in a pocket.

I some times carry speed strips for my K Frame revolvers depending on what I am doing. I have a Tan Bianchi Double Flap belt pouch I have owned for almost 40 years that still works fine. Infact is lives on my dresser when not on my belt.

Lots of options.

Bob
Old January 4, 2014, 11:43 AM   #19
bedbugbilly

My carry is a Smith M36 - I have a single drop pouch that I can carry rounds in a speed strip in.

Reading this thread - I have a question. I've used speed strips and speed-loaders. Does anyone make a loader for revolver that is like a semi-auto magazine? Something that would hold, say, six or so 38/357 that could be carried in a pocket or pouch where the rounds could just be "thumbed" into the chambers of a cylinder? I'm not sure if it would be any quicker but it seems like it would be an easy carry in pocket or a belt pouch and would work just fine. I've just never seen one and I'd certainly try one if they were out there.
If a pair of '51 Navies were good enough for Billy Hickok, then a single Navy on my right hip is good enough for me . . . besides . . . I'm probably only half as good as he was anyways. Hiram's Rangers Badge #63
Old January 4, 2014, 11:40 PM   #20
tomrkba

The best solution is a combination of Safariland #371 split speed loader holder for the Comp I speed loader (for SP101--the only one available) and at least one speed strip in the front pocket (in a protector to prevent the bullet noses from taking a beating). Carry two #371's on the strong side. I put the speed strip on the alternate killing hand side.

Coonan makes 1911 style magazines for their guns chambered in 357 Magnum.

Last edited by tomrkba; January 5, 2014 at 12:15 AM.
Old January 5, 2014, 08:27 AM   #21
prm

Speedloaders are nice, but are bulky when your trying to conceal them. I went to loose carry several years back. That's all I carry in my right front pocket are loose rounds. I can reload pretty quick from the pocket. Most SD incidents don't involve reloading anyway.

Quote:
at least one speed strip in the front pocket (in a protector to prevent the bullet noses from taking a beating). - tomrkba

I don't keep them long enough for the rounds to get beat up. :-)
Old January 5, 2014, 10:27 AM   #22
tomrkba

Quote:
Speedloaders are nice, but are bulky when your trying to conceal them. I went to loose carry several years back. That's all I carry in my right front pocket are loose rounds. I can reload pretty quick from the pocket. Most SD incidents don't involve reloading anyway.
I have tried everything. I even went to moonclipped guns and built a dual IWB moonclip holder for the eight shot 357 Magnum revolvers S&W offers. That worked pretty well, but the best compromise is the Safariland #371 holder. It splits the loader on the belt and has the smallest profile. It could be improved by reducing the height as much as possible and fitting it specifically for the Comp loader you are using.

Loader pocket carry prints extremely badly except in pleated pants. Even then, you can tell. I mitigated this slightly by stuffing a small rag into the pocket. Overall, belt carry is best because it provides consistent orientation of the loader and least profile.

Quote:
Most SD incidents don't involve reloading anyway.
Don't count on that at all. We train for the worst case, not the best case. We're already handicapped by the low capacity of the revolver; don't bet upon the bullet's performance for an instant stop even with the best of hits. We should be very good at reloading the gun and using a backup weapon with the support hand.

Last edited by tomrkba; January 5, 2014 at 10:41 AM.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:12 AM   #23
prm

Quote:
We train for the worst case, not the best case.
Well, we all do what we feel is necessary. I currently have 42 years service with the military, 8 active, 6 in the Reserves, and the rest National Guard. During that time I have had multiple deployments and I am well aware of the difference in offensive and defensive environment. In addition, I've got 36 years experience as a LEO. I never said I didn't carry reloads - just don't see the need or particularly care for speedloaders unless I am in uniform and carrying them on a duty belt. Which is pretty much a thing of the past in the age of semi-autos.

If you have personal knowledge of required reloads in a civilian self defense situation, I'd be interested in hearing about them. I'm not saying a person shouldn't carry extra rounds (I do) - just that your shot placement with your initial load should trump how fast you can reload.

Last edited by prm; January 5, 2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:20 AM   #24
tomrkba

prm...look at what Tom Givens has to say about it. I carry reloads for the worst case. Odds are I won't ever have to draw my gun again, much less shoot. I influence those odds by "protecting the permit" and religiously following the "3 S Rule". Doing the above offers no guarantees that Al BooBoo Official Terrorists(tm), Cartel Numbnuts or Advanced Tactical Machinegun Ninjas won't attack! I am more worried about the homeless guy approaching me for change.

Quote:
I currently have 42 years service with the military, 8 active, 6 in the Reserves, and the rest National Guard. During that time I have had multiple deployments and I am well aware of the difference in offensive and defensive environment. In addition, I've got 36 years experience as a LEO.
I have seen too many guys in class with similar resumes who cannot deliver a shot on demand from a concealment. I have no idea if you can do so or not, but will assume that you can. A friend of mine in the Philly PD is the only one who trains and/or competes on his squad. He tells me the rest of them want nothing to do with it. I'm sure you're familiar with the type who thinks the gun is just a "thing" on the belt that they could do without.

My neighbor was a cop who carried a non-functioning Colt Gold Cup for a year between qualifications. I sold him my SIG P220 so he'd have something that worked. I watched other officers miss a steel plate at 15 yards 13 times because they didn't know how to correct their sight picture. I have many other stories like that, though the worst one is the cop who started shooting at the 50 yard steel plate while I was downrange checking a target at 25 yards!

Last edited by tomrkba; January 5, 2014 at 11:40 AM.
Old January 5, 2014, 11:40 AM   #25
tomrkba

BTW...prm and I are having fun!! No worries.