The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old July 23, 2013, 01:18 PM   #1
Erikbal

Good first revolver for a decent price...

Hello guys. My Dad just got his pistol permit and is looking to purchase his first handgun. He's owned long guns in the past, but never a pistol. He's disabled and has had multiple back surgeries, knee replacements ect. I was thinking a revolver would be good for him so he wouldn't have to worry about racking a slide (although he racked the slide on my BG .380 pretty well). He also said he would like a revolver. I am thinking something DA/SA in .357 so he can also shoot cheaper .38 as well, and the rigger will have a nice easy pull in SA. Any suggestions? I am going to head to the local gun shop and take a look and see what they have. If it weren't for the recent gun craze I would recommend a .22 for him, but ammunition for that isn't very easy to find at the moment. Also I don't think he plans on carrying, but I would like him to have something he could carry if he decided he wanted to down the road. Any and all suggestions/comments are appreciated! As usual, thanks!
Old July 23, 2013, 01:22 PM   #2
P5 Guy

DA/SA Revolver

SP101 or GP100 Ruger. Look for a used one and follow the check list for buying a used revolver at the top of this page.
With that knowledge a fine handgun can be found just about anywhere.
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=57816
Old July 23, 2013, 02:04 PM   #3
Erikbal

Re: Good first revolver for a decent price...

Thanks for the info! Only problem I have is around here we only have a couple gun shops and the selection isn't the best. I'd be weary of him buying something online sight unseen. I told him not to rush into anything, to take his time and we'll do some research and find something that's right for him.
Old July 23, 2013, 02:15 PM   #4
csmsss

Buds gun shop frequently has a number of PD turn ins (lately it's been S&W Model 10's for less than $300) that are usually great values. They're sold out at the moment, but they seem to turn up fairly frequently.

Last edited by csmsss; July 23, 2013 at 02:43 PM.
Old July 23, 2013, 02:19 PM   #5
Erikbal

Just left the local sporting goods store that's just 5 blocks from my house. They had the most handguns I've ever seen there, but only 3 or 4 revolvers. I think they were all Taurus's and they were .44mag and a .22. I asked him why they only had a few revolvers and he said revolvers are hard to get right now. They have plenty of semi autos from .22's all the way up. Being that my dad is 60 years old and in pretty rough shape I don't think a .44mag would be the best choice lol. He can handle the recoil on my BG .380 and SR9c, but a .44 mag just isn't practical for him. I've got a couple more places to check yet before we have to order something...
Old July 23, 2013, 06:18 PM   #6
357 Python

If he is going to shoot 38 Special only in it then why not a good used S&W model 10 or 15. Police trade ins are still available for a decent price. The model 10 and 15 are also capable firing 38 Special +P safely so they are also good self defense revolvers.
Old July 23, 2013, 07:27 PM   #7
feets

I just picked up a nickel Model 15 from GunBroker. It was a whopping $355 and is in good shape.
I'm used to large frame guns (N-frame, Redhawk, Super Redhawk, Blackhawk, ets) and the little K frame was pleasingly light and still fit my large hands like a gun should.

A model 10 has a integral sight cut into the top strap. The model 15 has adjustable sights. For a basic no-frills gun, the model 10 is great. If you want real sights go with a 15.
Honestly, in a defense situation a 38 is probably a better choice than a 357. It'll be easier to make any necessary follow up shots and at defensive ranges the 38 has more than enough power to get the job done. It's an easy shooter too.

If you're not comfortable about buying one online, find someone on the forum who lives in the area and ask them to check it out.
Old July 23, 2013, 07:51 PM   #8
Obambulate

The Ruger LCR is pretty good. They have them in 5-shot .357 or .38 Special, 6-shot .22 Magnum, and 8-shot .22lr. Rugged, easy to operate, lightweight, reliable, affordable. About $400 except the .357 version is closer to $500.
Old July 23, 2013, 08:05 PM   #9
Colvin

My first and only revolver is a Smith and Wesson 686. Great weapon, I personally have a 6" barrel and it handles any magnum load I throw in it.
Old July 23, 2013, 08:10 PM   #10
BillM

One of my "everybody needs at least one" guns--a 4"
medium frame 357 magnum with adjustable sights.

Personally I like K frame S&W's, especially older pinned
and recessed model 19's--but they are getting a little scarce.

For a good solid gun, nothing wrong with the old Ruger
Security Six or GP100.
Old July 23, 2013, 10:27 PM   #11
s4s4u

If concealed carry is not the agenda I would stay away from snubbys. And yes, a 44 Mag might not be a good first. I would suggest a GP100, either 4" or 6". I hunt with mine so elected the longer barrel. It is quite shooter friendly and packs enough punch for deer, with reasonable range.
Old July 23, 2013, 11:02 PM   #12
ClydeFrog

good revolver choices....

A few good picks I'd suggest include; Ruger GP100 .357magnum, SP101(DA only), LCR in .357magnum, Smith & Wesson model 686+ 7rd L frame, Charter Arms Bulldog .44 DA only.

You or your dad can buy .38spl loads then use .357magnum for protection. You can get a Lasermax Centerfire or CT lasergrip. That can help with training & marksmanship.

Clyde
Old July 24, 2013, 12:40 AM   #13
JimmyR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erikbal
Hello guys. My Dad just got his pistol permit and is looking to purchase his first handgun. He's owned long guns in the past, but never a pistol. He's disabled and has had multiple back surgeries, knee replacements ect. I was thinking a revolver would be good for him so he wouldn't have to worry about racking a slide (although he racked the slide on my BG .380 pretty well). He also said he would like a revolver. I am thinking something DA/SA in .357 so he can also shoot cheaper .38 as well, and the rigger will have a nice easy pull in SA. Any suggestions? I am going to head to the local gun shop and take a look and see what they have. If it weren't for the recent gun craze I would recommend a .22 for him, but ammunition for that isn't very easy to find at the moment. Also I don't think he plans on carrying, but I would like him to have something he could carry if he decided he wanted to down the road. Any and all suggestions/comments are appreciated! As usual, thanks!
I will start by saying that, for a quality revolver, a used Ruger/S&W will serve your father well. Taurus has been producing a quality product as well for a while, though most revolver fans tend to turn their noses up to them.

I think your idea about the caliber selection is wise, giving your dad variety.

HOWEVER

I feel like a broke record saying this, but do not buy your dad a gun without him telling you that's what he wants. I don't just mean him saying "I want a revolver." Let him get a feel for what's out there, and make the decison himself. Talk to friends who own some of the revolvers on your short list, and let him get a feel for the trigger/cylendar manipulations, and heft of the gun. Let him decide what feels right to him. The first pistol i bought was a Ruger Security Six, and i bought it because I wanted a revolver. I didn't know jack squat. The first INFORMED pistol i purchased was a CZ-75, I went to my local gun shops, got a feel for what I wanted, and when that CZ hit my hand, I knew it had to be mine. (Full disclosure, I ended up selling the Sec Six, kicking myself, then making another informed purchase and buying another one ) If you give him the opportunity to pick out the weapon himself, he will appreciate it that much more, from my experience.
Old July 24, 2013, 07:59 AM   #14
lagavulin62

Great advice by all. Since this is a situation where it seems holding the gun beforehand is the wisest way to start my suggestion is to find a few gun shows to take your father to. Find the guys that sell all those boring guns none of us get excited about but that are always there, such as the new revolvers semis. Let him walk down the aisles handling everything that interests him, including that monster 500. lol You won't buy anything but candied peanuts but at least when it's all over you dad will have a better idea of what he want and you guys would have had a great day out. And if you live totally out in the sticks then plan a road trip. It will be worth it. Even in big cities if all we had available was what was offered at the local shops we would all be shooting Taurus Revolvers and Glocks.
Old July 24, 2013, 08:18 AM   #15
HALL,AUSTIN

My wife is from olean. Small town, I love it there. I'd say look at the ruger six line. The speed six is a gun with a smaller than GP100 but larger than sp101, has 6 shots compaired to the sp101s 5 shots.
Old July 24, 2013, 09:28 AM   #16
pilpens

Many choices:
If primarily used for fun/range shooting, adjustable sights are nice.
-- 4" S&W 15, 67, 66.
-- 4" S&W 686, 586.
-- 4" Ruger GP100
Mid-size
-- Ruger SP101
Small
-- S&W 60, 640 (no lock).

Top choice for me would be a S&W 67 or 15 (no lock).
Old July 24, 2013, 12:13 PM   #17
Erikbal

Wow, thanks a lot for all the replies guys! Yeah I went looking yesterday on my own, he was watching my niece so he couldn't go. I was just looking to see what kind of selection they had. I am definitely going to make sure he puts his hands on several different ones and picks one that HE likes. I do think a .357 is a good idea, even if he mostly shoots .38, at least he'll always have that option and if he DOES decide to carry I think .357 would be a good choice.

I get excited when it comes to buying a new gun (like all of us here do). He will be purchasing it with his own money he's been saving, I am just trying my best to make sure he makes an educated decision and would like to help him the best I can. I just recently got into guns myself, (especially pistols) within the last couple of years and only own 2 myself, and both are semi autos. I figured who better to ask revolver questions than you guys here! I would like to pick up a revolver for myself some day.

HALL, AUSTIN...yeah Olean isn't a bad little city. The only thing is it seems like the crime rate has been going up, and we get a lot of "thugs" coming down from Buffalo thinking they own the place lol. The Park n Shop just 2 blocks from my house was robbed at gunpoint a few weeks back. It used to be the kind of place where you didn't even have to lock your doors, unfortunately it's not like that anymore. I was born and raised here myself.
Old July 24, 2013, 12:40 PM   #18
HALL,AUSTIN

That's unfortunate. Well anyways I wish you the best of luck on your search.
Old July 24, 2013, 12:51 PM   #19
shafter

Suggesting a 357 magnum is hardly ever poor advice; there are lots of good options out there such as the Ruger Security Six. I would also suggest a 38 special for what you seem to need it for. Smith and Wesson Model 10's and 64's are pretty inexpensive for the quality you get. I love em.
Old July 24, 2013, 01:31 PM   #20
Erikbal

Thanks guys. I just checked out another local gun shop and they have a huge selection of semi auto's, and a better selection of revolvers than the last place, but they're just too damn expensive. Just for comparison, a new gen 4 Glock 26 is $515 at the place I was yesterday, this place wants $625. They have a Ruger SR1911 in stock that I got excited about because I've never seen one in person, but they want over $800 for it! They did have a 6" GP100, which was nice but that was on the high side price wise too. At least they have more so my dad can go and get a feel for a few of them.

I do appreciate all the advice guys. I also suggested the idea of a gun show to my dad and he really liked that idea. Problem is we don't have them around here too often but if will be worth the wait.
Old July 24, 2013, 01:37 PM   #21
P5 Guy

Are there any pawn shops that sell guns in your neck of the woods?
I've only bought three brand new in the box firearms in my life, only because they had just been released and I HAD TO HAVE ONE!
S&W 60-4 and S&W 696. All the others are from the used market. Reason being, most guns get shot very seldom if at all.
Old July 24, 2013, 02:52 PM   #22
BigMike349

Not the most practical but for a single action I would look into a ruger new vaquero or a traditions frontier model. Both have a transfer bar so you can safely load all cylinders. Personally I love the look of them. The traditions model does look better with the case coloring and walnut grip but I believe the new vaquero is more durable and will last longer. Both are about the same price around 600. In my opinion the new vaquero is a better investment. If you add custom munden style walnut grips for about 200 and a case color finish from Turnbull for 150 you will end up with a durable, reliable, beautiful revolver.
Old July 24, 2013, 06:55 PM   #23
Kreyzhorse

I'd suggest a used Ruger SP101, GP100 or a S&W 686.

Someone also mentioned that Bud's has police trade in guns and that is a great idea too.
Old July 25, 2013, 09:44 AM   #24
southjk

Quote:
Someone also mentioned that Bud's has police trade in guns and that is a great idea too.
Unfortunately they've been sold out for the past few weeks. I think I must have got one of their last Model 10's.
Old July 25, 2013, 11:35 AM   #25
Erikbal

Quote:
Originally Posted by P5 Guy View Post
Are there any pawn shops that sell guns in your neck of the woods?
I've only bought three brand new in the box firearms in my life, only because they had just been released and I HAD TO HAVE ONE!
S&W 60-4 and S&W 696. All the others are from the used market. Reason being, most guns get shot very seldom if at all.
Unfortunately we don't have any pawn shops around here that sell firearms. I asked around and from what I hear the next gun show in the area is in September. If we can't find a good deal on something by then, I'll take him to a gun show and have a look. I love gun shows, I just never have the money I wish I did when I'm there! Lol.