The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old May 11, 2013, 07:54 PM   #1
AL45

Locktite on firearm screws

I was inspecting my Ruger Blackhawk today and noticed the front grip frame screw was missing. It has had around 1600 rounds fired through it and I have no idea when it fell out. I checked other screws but none were loose. Is there a problem using locktite on the screws or is there a better product? Ordered another screw from Numerich at a cost of $4.45 for parts and $4.95 shipping.
Old May 11, 2013, 07:59 PM   #2
Nathan

A small dab of blue is fine for most things where loosening is annoying. It might be worth asking yourself why the clamp load isn't holding it in place.

I say that because low dollar scope rings are notorious for losing clamp load due to flexing and coming loose. Adding locktite keeps it tight, but the scope is still not clamped. Better rings are sometimes Loctited, but for no reason or to cover poor assembly and Murphy's Law.
Old May 11, 2013, 08:36 PM   #3
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

It was most likely a case of the screw not having the proper torque applied when it was installed, and simply worked its way out over time. I have seen this on a few new guns out of the box. I guess the guys just forgot to snug them up when they were being assembled.

The only other thing I can think of, is to ask if you have took the gun down, to make sure the head hasn't broken off the screw, and it's shank still threaded in the hole?
Old May 11, 2013, 09:31 PM   #4
AL45

The entire screw is gone. I will make sure to snug the new one up tight and periodically inspect all of the screws.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:08 PM   #5
Wreck-n-Crew

There are different kinds of lock-tight. Someone mentioned the blue but my memory fails me as to witch color red/blue is for which application.

If you plan on removing it for some reason in the future (that is when you find a replacement for the lost one) I would find out which one is more for long term more permanent applications and which is not.

Great wishes..
Old May 12, 2013, 02:37 AM   #6
natman

If you need loctite on a gun screw, blue is what you want. Red is higher strength but may cause problems when you want to remove the screw again. Blue is plenty strong for gun use.
Old May 12, 2013, 06:50 AM   #7
thedudeabides

I put blue on all of my grip screws.
Old May 12, 2013, 07:41 AM   #8
Nathan

I like this guide.

When I say blue, I mean that the typical auto parts store blue is best. It is low strength and easy to buy. As you will see in the chart, it is best to go by number, but most are not available at a local store. I do find Ebay has most any number in small single use tubes.
Old May 12, 2013, 09:43 AM   #9
hdbiker

lose screws

I was shooting my Super Blackhawk at the range a while back,when trying to unload the emptys ,I found the ejector rod housing,rod,screw, and spring were gone.In a panic I began looking for parts.I found the housing with screw still in it right away.After a couple minuts also found the rod and spring.Happy Camper to say the least.Some cleaning with a old tooth brush and some light oil and I was back in business.Later cleaning the Blackhawk at home I found the gripframe screws also somewhat loose.Moral to my story,ckeck your gun screws once in a while.hdbiker

Last edited by hdbiker; May 12, 2013 at 09:44 AM. Reason: misspelled word
Old May 12, 2013, 10:22 AM   #10
2ndsojourn

I used 'Blue' Loctite on the decocker screw on my S&W 659 and it stopped it from coming loose. I did a test a couple days later to see how hard it was to remove and it wasn't easy. When I re-assembled, I put less on and it's still holding.
Old May 13, 2013, 06:39 PM   #11
oneoldsap

Location: I live in the foot of the Green Mountains of Vermont
A little dab of clear Fingernail polish on the threads will hold them in place ! I use it for scope mounting too .
Old May 14, 2013, 07:40 AM   #12
Rifleman1776

I have been using Loctite Red on my guns for decades. It holds and will come out. Not easily but that is the point.
Don't use much a very tiny drop is all that is necessary.
Old May 16, 2013, 08:10 PM   #13
Harry Bonar

loctite

Surs;
Stay away from it! You do not get fit or strength from a can or bottle!
Greywolf