The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 26, 2013, 06:45 PM   #1
balderclev

Powder funnel static

My reloading bench is in my shop that has no heat so recently it has been about 50 degrees. My powder funnel has so much static that I have to use my finger to scrape the rest of the powder into the case. Anyone had this problem and found a solution?
Old March 26, 2013, 06:47 PM   #2
david_r

Pull a drier sheet through it. pour 10 lbs of powder through it so the graphite coats it. Buy a metal one.
Old March 26, 2013, 07:10 PM   #3
MarcB

Mix up all solution of Joy dish washing liquid, clean but don't rinse, allow to dry, no more static.
Old March 26, 2013, 08:15 PM   #4
Misssissippi Dave

Many people have dryer sheets for the laundry in their homes. Wiping down plastic with one of those sheets will get rid of the static cling you are having. I put them in the tumbler as well to cut down on the dust. It makes my media last longer too. Wipe on a little graphite then wipe off works well for metal items.
Old March 26, 2013, 10:39 PM   #5
balderclev

Thanks so much for the info. This was driving me crazy.
Old March 27, 2013, 09:23 AM   #6
F. Guffey

I had the opportunity to purchase powder, I called to alert other reloaders in the area and determine if they were interested in becoming ‘VOLUME BUYERS’, they decided on 3 pounds between the two of them. I purchased powder and made arrangements for distribution, then came the cling. I used a straw to brake-up the clog, then like magic, no cling. The funnel was not a powder funnel designed to set on top of a case, it was a funnel type funnel. Back to ‘like magic’, the funnel took on the appearance of a soot covered funnel (on the inside). Again, no more cling.

IMR 3031 @ $15.00 a pound sounded like an opportunity that does not come along very often.

F. Guffey
Old March 27, 2013, 01:04 PM   #7
BigD_in_FL

Dryer sheets work (in case you didn't know) by leaving a film of wax - which is how it prevents static in your laundry, so if you do not have dryer sheets, applying a thin film of wax will do the same thing
Old March 27, 2013, 01:14 PM   #8
Beagle333

I spray the outside of my funnel with "Static Guard" and wipe it down. It won't have static on the inside again for days. My wife always has a can of that stuff sitting out somewhere, so it's always pretty handy to find.
picture, for reference
Have a Colt and a smile.
Old March 27, 2013, 01:29 PM   #9
eldermike

dish washing liquid is what I use.
Old March 27, 2013, 07:26 PM   #10
dickttx

Quote MarkB:
"Mix up all solution of Joy dish washing liquid, clean but don't rinse, allow to dry, no more static."

This has been working since at least the 60's.
Old March 27, 2013, 08:13 PM   #11
lll Otto lll

I use an aluminum powder funnel and don't have to mess with dryer sheets, Static Guard or Joy dishwashing soap.
Old March 27, 2013, 09:04 PM   #12
Jerry45

I've been using an RCBS funnel for 40 years (yes the same funnel) I load in my shop also. I've never had a static problem with it. I have had static problems whit other plastic and aluminum funnels. Recently I was using an aluminum funnel while poring/blending powder from two 8 Lb. cans and the static was causing the powder to stick to the funnel. (was blending to cans of the same powder. Not different powders). I stopped poring and got the RCBS. No static!