The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old January 23, 2013, 02:33 PM   #1
Alabama Shooter

Who Are These People IFoA?

Is this a AHSA reboot light?

Independent Firearms Owners Association

http://independentfirearmowners.org/

First I heard of them was here:

http://www.csmonitor.com/USA/Politic...-entryNineItem

Quote:
But another gun rep in the room, Richard Feldman, president of the Independent Firearm Owners Association, reports progress. He has received word from the vice president’s office that President Obama’s FY 2014 budget will double funding for the National Integrated Ballistic Information Network. NIBIN is a ballistic imaging system that enables the capture and comparison of images of bullets and cartridges to aid in solving crimes and establishing links between crimes.
Isn't that the same guy that was the NRA lobbyist before he turned on them and trashed them in a novel?

Quote:
Feldman says he pushed for more NIBIN funding in the Jan. 10 meeting with Biden.

“This tells me they listened,” he says.
The largest planned gun control legislation in just about forever and he was asking for more money for imaging? Thanks bro, I think we will be better off if you keep quiet from now on.

Quote:
IFoA considers all firearms to be "assault weapons" when used by criminals while the identical firearms in the hands of police or civilians are mere defensive tools which can be effectively used to protect your family, your community and yourselves.
Because things are not confusing enough already?

Who are these people?

What level of membership do they enjoy?

Why is anyone listening to them?
Old January 23, 2013, 03:10 PM   #2
Tom Servo
Staff

Richard Feldman is a former NRA staffer who wrote a supposed "insider tell-all" book called Ricochet. So now he's got a website and an "association."

He's not our friend. The only anti-gun affiliation I've been able to find is a donation to the Heartland Alliance, a group funded in part by the Joyce Foundation.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:23 PM   #3
Alabama Shooter

Here is the board of Directors:

Abel, Daniel New Orleans, LA Civil Rights Attorney. Author

Constance, Joe Trenton, NJ NJ Parole Board (Ret.) Chief Detectives, Trenton PD (Ret.)
Johnson, Zak Portsmouth, NH Writer, PR consultant, Political organizer

McClaughry, John Kirby, VT Pres., Ethan Allen Institute (ret) former State Senator & White House Advisor

McCloskey, Pete Rumsey, CA US Congressman (Ret.) Environmental leader and Attorney

Sielicki, Mike Rindge, NH Police Chief, Law Enforcement Association Executive

Sullivan, Peter Suffolk, NY NYS Assemblyman (Ret.) Hospital Industry Executive (ret.)

Swanson, Chuck Ogden, UT Tactical Training Expert, Medical Relief Foundation Executive

I know McCloskey was the congressman who switched from (r) to (D) and tried to get Bush run out of office in 2004. I can't find his gun voting record anywhere.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:41 PM   #4
Tom Servo
Staff

I thought Daniel Abel's name rang a bell, and this book came up. I doubt he's much of a friend to us.

Joseph Constance has traditionally opposed gun control.

McClaughry has only spoken once on gun control. He seems to oppose bans but supports universal background checks.

All in all, a mixed bag, and an unpredictable one at that.
Old January 23, 2013, 03:50 PM   #5
Alabama Shooter

Gosh I wonder why they don't go ahead and just say what book he wrote on their website:

Quote:
Ours is a nation in the grip of a strange kind of mania. Why after President Reagan was shot was there virtually no handgun legislation? Why after the Columbine massacre in Littleton, Colorado, was nothing done to regulate the tools that children most frequently use to kill one another? Why was there no legislative response after a six-year-old in Flint, Michigan, shot a classmate with a .32 caliber "pocket rocket"? Tragedy follows tragedy, with twelve children shot dead every day in America, but guns remain less regulated than automobiles. Why? As authors Peter Harry Brown and Daniel G. Abel in this powerful book demonstrate, it is because of the terrible power of the gun coalition.
Quote:
Investigative reporter Brown and attorney Abel have chronicled the battle of the group of attorneys suing the gun industry and the NRA for "knowingly manufacturing and marketing lethal machines to criminals."
Who knew that the NRA manufactured or marketed anything? These are guys are even worse than the AHSA; straight up liars.

Sielicki surprises me, I thought he was on our side.

ETA
Ok, Able states multiple times in his book that Bob Ricker and Feldman provided him source material for his work. Feldman was Ricker's boss so this all starting to make sense?

Feldman comes off as a weird opportunist rather than a banner. I am sure he would sell us out for headline.

Last edited by Alabama Shooter; January 23, 2013 at 07:18 PM.