The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 21, 2012, 08:08 PM   #26
Bob Wright

From all the foregoing, he might buy a Uberti.

Bob Wright
Old December 31, 2012, 11:41 PM   #27
El Bango

.4 5 all the way,accurate,hard hitting and you can shoot it without ear protection at a varmint and still have your hearing intact.
Old January 1, 2013, 09:03 AM   #28
Baba Louie

Quote:
...and you can shoot it without ear protection at a varmint and still have your hearing intact.
Huh? What did you say? Can't hear you... You can shoot anything without hearing protection... but I guarantee your hearing will be impacted.

As a stupid youth, I never wore plugs when out hunting because, you know, you only "hear" a small "pop" when the game is in your sights. (a relative truth IMO) But I am now 60% deaf in my right ear and about 30% in my left.

So please... WEAR HEARING PROTECTION... or speak up a bit, eh? Huh?
A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington, January 8, 1790, First State of the Union Address
Old January 1, 2013, 11:26 AM   #29
BerdanSS

EL BANGO:

How many times have you shot a .45 colt with open ears? My dad and I thought the same thing, and thought "just one or two will be okay" to test out the new 4 and 3/4" uberti's we had just picked up....

short walk to the backstop......250gr LRN cowboy reloads......KA BAM!!!!! NEVER again sir...never EVER again My relatively young 27 year old ears were ringing till after dinner that night.

When Dad and I first started looking into Cowboy action shooting, (I was 17 then) we were at the LGS looking over the single actions. Dad picked a Ruger in .357 so he could shoot .38s. The guy turned and asked me did I pick a caliber yet...I sternly told him that "it aint a '73 SAA unless there is a .4 someplace on the barrel" I've learned better now

If you reload or plan to start in the near future..get the .45 Colt, you won't be disappointed with it...ever. Great all around cartridge and a good place to start with learning to reload. Other wise...in these times I'd go with the .357
Cheap if you need it to be, but with that option of more than enough available power.
Old January 1, 2013, 08:00 PM   #30
357 Python

Are you looking at the New Vaquero or the Vaquero? There is a difference. The Vaquero is a larger frame and came in 357 Magnum, 45 Colt, and 44 Magnum. If you are looking at the Vaquero I can recommend the 44 Magnum. I have a 5 1/2" barrel stainless steel Vaquero in 44 Magnum and it is fun to shoot. It is my fun gun. It is just something about all that recoil being controled that bring a smile to my face. Which ever you choose you will be getting a fine revolver.