The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old March 25, 2012, 07:27 PM   #1
Gunner112

Benelli Supernova Tactical accesory questions

So I just purchased a Benelli Supernova...and I was wondering if any owners of this shotgun in particular or any others have any "must have" recommendations for add-ons etc...

also looking for some links on best prices etc for shell carriers and extensions on it...

any help would be appreciated...it's just a stock gun right now...i have no case, no carrying strap...nothing...haven't even bought ammo yet, since i'm still in waiting period to pick it up next week...

Thanks!
Old March 25, 2012, 10:18 PM   #2
mattz357

I'm in the same boat right now. I've found the +2 mag extension from Nordic Tactical (about $75) and the Sureshell sidesaddles from Mesa Tactical ($50-100). Cactus Tactical seems to be the best place to get the extension, but I'm still searching for the best place for the Sureshell. Good luck and I'll be watching this thread too!
Old March 26, 2012, 01:45 PM   #3
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Guys, must haves for you are cleaning supplies and ammo......

You both have darned good shotguns, just as they set.Benellis aren't my first choice, bu the Supernova has proven to be a serviceable shotgun.

What you need now is ammo, range time and adding a few wear marks to those fine shotguns. Not Cool Stuff from the catalogs.

Learn to run the gun. Learn it until you can operate it in near total darkness 15 seconds out of a deep sleep, because you may need to very, very badly.

Shoot the thing. Shoot starlings, barn pigeons, landfill rats, steel plates or evil little clay frisbees. Shoot until you can obliterate two of those frisbees moving on different trajectories at different speeds and then shoot some more.

Once the software is up to speed, then focus on the hardware. You'll be in a better place to decide what's Cool Stuff and what can aid you in hitting targets in comfort.....
Old March 27, 2012, 11:42 AM   #4
wildfowl4444

A flashlight is a decent add-on.
Old March 28, 2012, 12:07 AM   #5
arizona98tj

A couple of SuperNova write-ups here.
Old March 30, 2012, 05:44 PM   #6
tAKticool

the #1 must have would probably be the Nordic Components +2 magazine extension, just gotta have it for the Benelli SNT.

And next , for me at least, would be the tritium night sights for the Ghost Ring Sights, absolutely.
Old April 1, 2012, 09:30 PM   #7
Sheikyourbootie

I have a supernova that I use for waterfowl. VERY reliable gun. As was said above....practice practice practice. I will say that it is NOT forgiving of a short stroke. I have done that a few times in the duck blind...once to the point I needed my leatherman to pry the empty hull out. NOT what you want in a moment of excitement at o-dark thirty...so practice.

I use my Ithica for HD, as it's lighter than the benelli, easier handling (shorter barrel), and I don't feel the need for 3 1/2" magnums for H.D. BUT, I'd feel perfectly comfortable with the Benelli too. The only thing I'd do to get the gun all "tactical" is to stoke it with some buckshot and call it good.
Old April 1, 2012, 09:34 PM   #8
oneounceload

OP - you don't even have the gun yet, let alone fired it in its "as-is" condition - perhaps you should follow Dave's sage advice before shopping for doodads