The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old March 1, 2012, 05:13 PM   #1
ccSnoopycc

Coyote Hunting???

Hey Everyone,

I know coyote hunting is pretty huge everywhere but I have never really gotten into it. I have hunted most anything from deer to elk to javelina and thought I might finally try my luck at coyote. My question is "what do you do with your kill". I have made great roast and stakes with deer/elk and awesome sausage with javelina but I am guessing coyote is way too lean for any good meat. How about the hide? Tanning? I would have figured this topic was already covered somewhere on here but the search results turned up nothing.
Old March 1, 2012, 05:19 PM   #2
rickyrick

You can skin em, mount em. I imaging coyote is pretty unappetizing.

Many are just dumped, as a pest. Many are mangey, but I haven't killed one with mange. They have beautiful coats when you pick them up.

It's a fairly challenging animal to hunt, but its pretty fun and exciting.
Old March 1, 2012, 08:13 PM   #3
Hansam

Skin and tan the hides that are in good shape. Sell them at shows, re-enactments and fairs. Touristy city-folk love them!

If the coyote were healthy before meeting my bullet I feed the meat to my dogs. If they looked diseased I just bury the carcass.

On a dare I tried eating one once. Didn't taste bad - I cut it into small cubes and cooked it up in a stir fry. Not something I'd eat on a regular basis though. I served the stir fry to my friends and family too - not telling them what it was. They all thought it was good till they learned it was coyote.
Old March 1, 2012, 10:01 PM   #4
Discern

^ I can understand that reasoning. I would not eat dog either.

Watch out for the lice, fleas, etc. You don't want to become their new host and take them home with you.
Old March 1, 2012, 10:55 PM   #5
Art Eatman
Staff in Memoriam

I usually just cut off the tail, skin it, salt it, and tack it to a post on the front porch.
Old March 2, 2012, 06:40 AM   #6
HALL,AUSTIN

If you skin them, you want to dip the hide in white gas or coleman fuel... It sounds odd but it kills the fleas and ticks and all the other bad bugs.
Old March 2, 2012, 10:44 AM   #7
L_Killkenny

Depends when and why you're killin em. I hunt em mostly for the fur so I hunt em in the late fall and winter when there fur is prime. But I don't have any problems with hunters shooting em in the spring, summer and early fall for control reasons and leaving them lay where they drop. If the fur is good though I believe you really should take am and sell em or at a minimum give em to somone who will sell em. There's always a trapper around who will come pick em up take em off your hands.

LK
Old March 2, 2012, 03:13 PM   #8
603Country

Hmmm, if the OP made, ate, and liked Javalina sausage, then coyote meat might taste Ok to him. I've never eaten coyote, but I have observed mother nature disposing of their carcasses. By that I mean buzzards. Buzzards love Raccoon and squirrel and skunk, and I think pig must be their favorite. Coyote is apparently not in their top 5 for lunch. If a buzzard barely tolerates it, then I'm guessing that it isn't that tasty.

Back to Javalina for a second. I have a buddy from south Louisiana and he can really cook. He has tried and tried to make Javalina edible, but finally gave up. If there's a secret to it, give me the info and I'll pass it on to my friend.
Old March 2, 2012, 03:35 PM   #9
rickyrick

I've seen buzzards choose skunk and raccoon over coyote also. I'm trying to think of a time when I've ever seen them eat a coyote, but I'm drawing a blank.
Old March 2, 2012, 03:41 PM   #10
Wyoredman

Early Wyoming skins were worth upwards of $60.00 this year. Pretty hard to sell them now, as they have begun to rub and breed. You can still get $10 -$15 bucks for them. Not worth the trouble for me, I hate the stink!

Pretty much just target practice after February 15th round here.
Old March 3, 2012, 11:18 PM   #11
Win73

Quote:
I've seen buzzards choose skunk and raccoon over coyote also. I'm trying to think of a time when I've ever seen them eat a coyote, but I'm drawing a blank.
I shot a coyote with my .30-06 a few years ago while deer hunting. Hit it just behind the rib cage. Nearly cut it in two. A few days later I went back to the same spot. Buzzards or something had completely cleaned out its insides.
(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.
Old March 4, 2012, 10:48 AM   #12
tahunua001

the hides are about the only thing of use on a coyote or just about any predator besides bear. I knew a guy that just for poos and goos decided to cook up some coyote as a little prank for the family... he claims it was the absolute worst game he had ever eaten.
Old March 6, 2012, 04:10 PM   #13
BIG P

Coyotes aint for eaten,theyre just for shooting no good for anything else
IMO!!!