The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old October 11, 2011, 05:24 PM   #1
Savage32-20

Group buy of powder/primers

Not sure if this topic has come up before or not - But here goes!

1st are there any legal issues with doing something like this. I would buy the stuff and have it shipped to me and then we could meet and disperse the powder to those that ordered. Hazmat fee could be cut because the order would hopefully be large enough to make it worthwhile for all involved.

My idea would be to get people that are close enough to the Greentown/Newfoundland PA area and willing to meet locally to get the items from me. I'm planning on placing an order anyway, just figured someone else may need some powder/primers as well and there's no sense i can think of for everyone to pay a hazmat fee.

Most places have a $25 hazmat fee and you can order as much or as little as you want in that 1 fee, primers and powder all fall under the same 1 time fee. So if I'm ordering 10lb of powder and your ordering 2lb and a box of primers we could figure something out to evenly split the fee.

I know in my neck of the woods it is limited as to what you can find to buy at the store and most are charging double what powder valley is charging ($40 or so for h414 or varget) or close enough that it would make a big difference.

Not looking to make any money doing this, just maybe save some.

Last edited by Savage32-20; October 11, 2011 at 05:35 PM.
Old October 11, 2011, 05:35 PM   #2
res45

It's a good way to save money me and several friend do group buys a couple times a year. I buy all the powder and primers from PV,on my order of 5K primers and three lbs. of powder even after splitting the hazmat and shipping fees I save over $80 from what I could have bought the same components local.
Old October 11, 2011, 06:09 PM   #3
serf 'rett

Quote:
are there any legal issues?
I sure hope not, because we've done the groupie thing.

Problems may crop up with a "high volume" order; i.e., you are getting a 15 yard dump truck load of power. I would think someone might ask questions.

You will need to check to see if there local or state regulations, fire code, etc. My brother in law just moved to CA, had to leave a pile of firearms behind, and I suspect the CA folks would croak and squawk at the thought of a group buy, but what do I know? I would think folks at Powder Valley, Graf, etc. could let you know if there is some shipping/legal issue.

If you broker the order, you definitely will want to be confident one of the other parties doesn't plan on doing something stupid with their components. This helps you avoid the someone asking questions.
Old October 14, 2011, 06:46 PM   #4
A_Gamehog

Graf and Sons has FREE HAZMAT and FREE SHIPPING!

But you must buy at least 32lbs of powder...

Grafs.com

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Free Handling & Insurance with $100 or more purchase

Purchase $100 or more and we’ll waive the handling and insurance fee, $4.95 value (excludes closeouts and target loads). In-stock product only. Offer expires Fri., Nov. 18, 2011 at 11 p.m. CST. UPS or Fed-Ex Ground shipping only.

Freight is ALWAYS prepaid to the 1st 48 states on regular ground service only except for target load ammo (see terms of service for details).

call 800-531-2666 for any questions.