The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Harley Nolden Memorial Institute for Firearms Research

Old May 23, 2000, 02:43 PM   #1
Alex Johnson

I've got an old Colt Officers Model Target in 38 special. The gun is in great shape with one exception, it has no grips. Until I have the time (and that's limited at the moment) to build myself a set of walnut grips I will need to find some temporary substitutes. I have taken a fancy to the reproduction hard rubber grips that Brownells is offering, but I have a problem. I don't know what frame and grip style the Colt officers model has. Is it the Police Positive? Or is it the Official Police? Any information you can give me would be greatly appreciated and a definite help to get this fine old gun back on the range.
Old May 23, 2000, 03:28 PM   #2
Daniel Watters

The Officers Model Target and the Offical Police are both E-Frames.

BTW: If you want a set of grips for general range use instead of display, grips designed for the Python (I-Frame) should also fit.
Old May 23, 2000, 06:33 PM   #3
K-9

Agreed.Mr.Watters is correct that Python grips will fit.I do believe it is an I-Frame,though.(Heavy sucker,ain't it?)I have Pachmyr Presentation grips on mine.

------------------
"Until that time,Eustus,until that time."-from Soldier In The Rain
Old May 23, 2000, 08:58 PM   #4
Alex Johnson

Thanks guys, I ordered a set of grips for the Official Police this afternoon. I guess I'll find out whether they fit. In any event I'll make a set of correct walnut grips for it before too much longer.