The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Closed Thread

Old September 17, 2009, 12:25 AM   #26
Dannyl

Your friend is right, go get a rock, now!

As much as this may dissapoint you, I have to agree with your friend.
You are better off with a rock than with your Glock.
The reason is that he obviously needs a good smack on his head as a last ditch effort to get rid of his stupidity, and you don't want to dirty a Glock for that, rather use a rock

In view of the fact that your choice of firearm is so poor, I have bravely volunteered to help you out of your misery, Please give me your bank account so that I can deposit the 1$ it is worth and you can send it over to me, I will add it to my collection of previously unwanted works of art

Now, seriously, if you are profficient and confident with your glock you are fine with it as a carry weapon.

My wife's cary gun is a Glock, no problem carrying with a bullet in the chamber. just keep your finger off the trigger if you are not actually shooting.
The only "problem" I can think of is that for her to practice how to deal with a stoppage I have the create one, it simply refuses to jam.

Cheers,

Danny

PS, this thread is even better than the one about the Mall-Ninja's

Last edited by Dannyl; September 17, 2009 at 01:09 AM.
Old September 17, 2009, 12:50 AM   #27
Mello2u

Carry what you shoot best.
You don't survive a gun fight you win.
You can't miss fast enough to win.

None of the above are original just appropriate.
" Frederic Bastiat
Old September 17, 2009, 01:07 AM   #28
Dannyl

deleted

deleted by choice
Old September 17, 2009, 02:03 AM   #29
drrpg01

To the original poster - ask the dude you were arguing with if he wants to volunteer to be the target and test how effective your 9mm is? I bet he will say no.

Last edited by drrpg01; September 17, 2009 at 02:12 AM.
Old September 17, 2009, 02:58 AM   #30
AZAK

Location: the object towards which the action of the sea is directed
Quote:
" wow you'd be better off throwing rocks"!!!!
Now is there a limit on how many rocks you can carry at a time? (California may just limit your rock bag.)

What about size of rocks? (Maybe a limitation on what a "rock" actual can be; e.g. military gets the boulders.)

Can you throw fragmenting rocks? Or more than one rock at a time with one hand? (Three rock burst? Or how about a whole handfull at a time, isn't there a form and tax stamp involved for this?)

What if the rocks are say diamonds or the like, and able to penetrate body armor? (Are these restricted?)

Can you use a Rock River with .223 size rocks? (Does that count?)

If your rocks are not in plain sight... (Do you need a CRL?)

If you use just one really big rock from above on a hill... (Isn't that rock and roll? And possibly subject to copyright infringement if someone else has already done it?)

Would using "sub-standard" rocks, possibly good for one or two throws... (Be considered a Saturday Night Special?)

I, for one, would take his suggestions very seriously and consult with a certified gemologist and/or a petrologist immediately! (You may also want an agent, most people who are seriously making rock professionally have one.)

And never underestimate a good rock throw... remember David?

Now, go figure...
Old September 17, 2009, 04:08 AM   #31
rauke

Wonderful thread with excellent posts!

Reading through this thread just reduced my blood pressure to normal!

With the permission of all concerned, I will have a comedian friend take a look at the material here. With any luck, he can do a stand-up routine at the next Shot Show (maybe in collaboration with a "not-so-smart" accomplice). That should do the trick!

But seriously, if you're good with your carry piece, and you've acsertained it to be 100% jam-free, by all means use it. In an actual encounter, I would personally dread getting hit---even with a .22 Short.

One of the previous posters here put it nicely---never teach a pig how to sing. It only frustrates you and aggravates the pig.

Cheers!
Old September 17, 2009, 05:47 AM   #32
tighty whitey

Did he suggest

Which rocks you should carry? Any specifics on diameter? Hardness? Portability?
Old September 17, 2009, 05:50 AM   #33
CajunBass

In situations like this, I like to just nod, knowingly, in wide-eyed awe, and say "Oh really? I didn't know that...thank you so much...well, nice talking to you...I've got to be going...You have a nice day now."
John 3:16 (NKJV)
Old September 17, 2009, 05:59 AM   #34
Nisei

Rock out with your Glock out. The only phrase I truly recognize with "rock" and "Glock" in the same sentence.

Polymer vs Steel, 9mm vs .45... doesn't matter what the topic is, a tool is a tool. It's not what it is, it's how you use it. Remember: "Amateurs talk hardware, Professionals talk software." People should be ranting about tactics and maneuvers instead of my gun is better than your gun.
Old September 17, 2009, 06:26 AM   #35
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

Oh crap. Now I need to start collecting rocks? My wife is not going to be happy. What am I going to do with all these guns?
Old September 17, 2009, 06:57 AM   #36
garryc

Look, all BS aside, I love my 45's and my 10mm's but the fact is one or two hits COM with a 9mm and the fight is over 90% of the time. The other ten percent only a CNS hit will do with anything. Put a 9mm in a brain case or a 45, I don't see much differance in effect.
Old September 17, 2009, 08:28 AM   #37
Skans

Seems to me like there are two kinds of gun folks out there:

1. Those that are perfectly fine with others shooting whatever works for them (majority).

2. Those who think that .45 is the only valid choice for self defense and that anyone who uses anything smaller than .45 are idiots (minority....I hope).
Old September 17, 2009, 09:11 AM   #38
Nisei

I dunno Skans... maybe here on the inter-tubez we may seem like a majority but out in the real world I feel as if we are a minority.

Y'know here is what I am going to do. I am going to go to Gander Mtn right now (closest major un-educated-gun-nut stomping grounds) and see what peoples' opinions are on Polymer vs Steel and 9mm vs .45

I will post back results soon.
Old September 17, 2009, 09:17 AM   #39
txbirddog

Well Ian is going to have to make Mr. Bond, James Bond change guns as he can't be eliminating BG's with his little .380.

Bullet placement is MORE important than caliber with the easily killed mammals.
Old September 17, 2009, 09:28 AM   #40
Uncle Buck

Shooting on the Run

We were taught to shoot, run, shoot and run. Learning to pray came natural for most of us.

I have to wonder about the people who are in the "If you are not shooting, you are moving, if you are not moving you need to be shooting" camp.

Have you ever heard of cover fire? Sometimes you do not have a partner to provide cover fire while you move to a more advantageous position.

I worked with a Staff Sergeant who could hit just about any target while he was on the move. We would set up gallon jugs (to simulate a BG's head peeking up from behind cover) and he would hit them more times than not. I think out of 10 tries I hit one jug and scared a few.

Your choice of weapon? Having to carry a heavy firearm on your hip all day can really be a pain in the, well, hip. Carry what you are most proficient with. (Unless you want to drag along someone with a bigger gun who you know you can trust to cover you all day long.)
Old September 17, 2009, 10:01 AM   #41
MLeake

Bond, James Bond

If you are referring to the literary Bond, as opposed to the movie Bond, Fleming's character started out with a .25acp Beretta, but in Dr. No was forced to give it up and choose either a S&W .38special snub (I don't remember which model) or the Walther PPK 7.65mm (.32 auto). Q described the .32 as hitting "like a brick through a glass window" in comparison to the .25.

(Quote may be slightly off; I'm going from memory, but I'll bet I'm at least 90% on.)

Point is, until the stories written by later authors with Fleming's heirs' permission, Bond never used bigger caliber handguns. The later authors had him using anything from a HK VP70 to a S&W ASP to a Walther P5, all in 9mm; plus a Ruger Super Blackhawk .44magnum (but that was only his car vault gun, to be used in an anti-vehicle mode on the road).

Given that Fleming was a British agent back in the day, it's interesting that he made his character's priorities conceability and reliability over power, and that Bond focused on marksmanship.

Actually, the American OSS trained its operatives the same way...

Cheers,

M
Old September 17, 2009, 10:10 AM   #42
Mike Irwin
Staff

You could have always invited him to throw rocks at you while you shot at him with your Glock 9mm.

I've found in the past that that normally shuts "Mr. I'm so uber .45 tacticool" up in a heartbeat.

Baby Jesus cries when the fat redneck doesn't have military-grade firepower.
Old September 17, 2009, 10:36 AM   #43
ECHOONE

Your Right ENOUGH!!!!!! Every person has the right to decide what caliber he feels does the job for his personnel preference,once you do,don't let what others say or suggest bother you,sounds what your doing is all right for you! So don't let him bother you,unless for some reason you really feel something he said is right?
I carry both a 9 and a .45 I'm a vet I personally swear by the .45 over the 9 hands down, that's not to say that the 9 wont do the job if you practice with it and can place the round were it's suppose to go! In my case both my handguns mags carry the same amount therefore the .45 definetly has the upper hand!
A few yrs back the 9 definetly had it's problems as a SD round but in the last year the technology of the round has improved to make it a reliable round,if it wasn't I wouldn't be carrying it!!! I bought one of those Sig P6's it's one heck of a reliable and accurate handgun,I for one never thought I would ever have anything but a 1911 .45 but after shooting this 9MM Sig I have to give the gun and the round it's credit!I feel safe with it,BUT if I know I'm going someplace I never been before or going thru a bad area,the .45 gets strapped on for sure!!! Sorry the 1911 is more accurate atleast it is for me and just as fast with my double taps.........
Old September 17, 2009, 10:38 AM   #44
A_McDougal

Shhh! Don't let the secret out, or the politicos will start banning rocks. We'll have ATF inspecting Home Depot records - "You sold how many tons of gravel, with no fingerprints?!" Cities will start rock mineral buy-back programs. Anyone found to be loitering in a field or yard will be presumed to be trying to find illegal rocks. "OK, you can farm your own land, but if you come across a rock, you need to report it IMMEDIATELY." Kids will be suspended for saying their teacher is dumb as a box of rocks.
Old September 17, 2009, 10:44 AM   #45
Nisei

Just got back from Gander Mtn as stated earlier.

7 out of 9 people agree: 9mm is for people who squat to pee.

Also, what's really hilarious is that someone actually said "might as well be throwing rocks" with regards to the Glock.

People... what a bunch of bastards
Old September 17, 2009, 10:56 AM   #46
TLeo

For people that are so sure that a .45 is the ONLY weapon and everything else is crap I have to respond. Just because you hit someone with a .45 round does not mean they will automatically go down or be killed. An officer with my old department just recently was involved in a shooting in which he was luckily not hit when the bad guy opened fire on him. He did however hit the bad guy 4 times in the chest/torso with a .45(glock 21) and the bad guy is going to recover just fine. One round was so close to the heart I don't see how it missed .... the doctor that worked on the suspect said that wound was large enough to put his finger deeply into and he could plainly see the heart right beside the wound.

It's all just a matter of where the round goes and if it hits a vital organ or not -- and not so much what caliber it is. Carry what you like and are able to shoot well and forget those bozos like that guy.

Last edited by TLeo; September 17, 2009 at 11:11 AM.
Old September 17, 2009, 12:00 PM   #47
Capt. Charlie
Moderator Emeritus

This is nothing more than another caliber war, and we've had more than enough of those. I see nothing productive coming out of this.

Closed.

I train in earnest, to do the things that I pray in earnest, I'll never have to do.

--Capt. Charlie
Closed Thread