The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Tactics and Training

Old July 31, 2009, 03:37 AM   #126
JustDreadful

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blaster_(flamethrower)

"Life being what it is, one dreams of revenge."
Old July 31, 2009, 08:49 AM   #127
Steve1911

A mini gun and a really fast dirtbike...
Old August 1, 2009, 10:24 PM   #128
Michiana1

It sounds like you'd have time to flee. I'd try that first just incase they maybe armed. But if I couldn't flee I'd take cover try to take a reating braced shooting position and get ready to take out the front guy after a verbal warning. If they are dead set on hurting me I'd leave out the verbal warning and take as many as I could at as far away as possible.
Old August 2, 2009, 09:05 AM   #129
BigCheeseStick

Yell one of the following until the focus of attention turns.

"It was like that when I got here!"

"He did it!" (With the obliged finger pointing)

"I've got a scorching case of herpies, and wear braces!"

Old August 2, 2009, 10:26 AM   #130
Gunforall

Join em!!
A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it.
Old August 2, 2009, 11:14 AM   #131
Glenn E. Meyer

Last night, they reran The Mummy. In it, the mummy sends a mob of zombie like folk to capture Rachel Weisz and some magic artifacts. They chant Imhotep-Imhotep. One of the good guys falls in with them and starts chanting Imhotep but walks slowly and passed out the back.

This is your strategy for mummy mobs. Later, one guy just throws himself at the mob as a sacrifice for his buddies.
Old August 11, 2009, 11:40 AM   #132
Poseidon28

Quote:
How do you defend yourself against an angry mob?
This is one low probability-high risk event that does happen and is not out of the realm of imagination. Examples of these occurrences are the following:

- Security contractors and soldiers getting attacked by angry mobs in Iraq and other parts of the middle east.

- Citizens being attacked during the LA Riots.

- Citizens being attacked by roving gangs during various hurricanes and other natural disasters.

Lets say you find yourself on the street and there is a group of 20 loosely organized males moving your way at a medium to high rate of speed. They are about 300 feet away. Under your shirt is a Glock 17 and you have 3 extra magazines stuffed somewhere on your person. You might be able to outrun them, but some of the group appear to be healthy 18 year old males and seem to be coming fast. Some of them appear to have clubs and pipes. They are yelling and charging in a hostile manner. No one appears to have a firearm.
JohnH1963 is offline Report Post
Do everything you can to get away from the mob. Now, if it's the LA riots, and you are white, you know what color the mobs where, and, you AREN'T going to be able to fit in.

What did happen was as soon as the verdict came down, everyone got out of the city, and, headed to their different areas. Citizens banded together, put up barricades, and turned back everyone that did not live in their area.
They used any, and every firearm they had present: Rifles, shotguns, etc.

The police gave up, pulled out as did the firefighters, since they were great big bullseyes for the rioters, who shot them.

Another lesson is if you live in an area where the rioters are coming after you, always shoot from cover, so the press helicopters can't get film of you protecting yourself, your family, and your property.

Remember: the media has to have a bad guy with a gun, so they can discredit firearms at all costs. So, if your Korean, and you want to protect your life savings, store, and family, do not shoot from the roof of your building.
Old August 28, 2009, 07:02 AM   #133
akamdg

Here's an article I found about a lone police officer who held off an angry mob of 60 individuals with his sidearm.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Quote:
Officer, dog square off against Modesto mob of 60

EVENING UPDATE - The lone Modesto police officer who confronted a hostile crowd early Sunday morning was punched in the face and forced to dodge glass bottles that were thrown at him, according to new details police released Tuesday. The case is receiving nationwide attention.

According to witnesses and police, some in the crowd taunted the officer, shouting, "Shoot me, shoot me!" Another said, “You know you’re not going to make it out of here.”

Residents on the 1700 block of Pelton Avenue described the scene as “horrifying” and “like something you would see on Cops,” the TV show that showcases confrontations between police and criminals.

The officer and his canine companion were both slightly injured during the struggle, said Police spokesman Sgt. Brian Findlen.

The office was alone with the crowd for five to eight minutes.

The case has been featured much of today on the Drudge Report Web site.

A Modesto police officer had to pull his gun to keep a hostile crowd at bay early Sunday.

The officer sustained minor injuries in the southwest Modesto incident, said police spokesman Sgt. Brian Findlen. Police are not releasing the officer's name. The officer's dog was assaulted but not seriously injured, Findlen said. Police arrested several suspects in connection with the incident. A loaded assault rifle was found later at the scene of the struggle, which unfolded about 2 a.m.

Findlen said the officer pulled his gun only after other deterrents, including his police dog, failed to keep the crowd under control. "In a situation where you really feel that your life is in imminent danger, your options become very few," Findlen said.

Some members of the crowd told the officer that "he was not going to leave the scene alive," according to police.

The crowd of as many as 60 people included some known gang members, Findlen said. Police believe the group was gathered for a party in the 1700 block of Pelton Avenue. The officer happened upon the group when he was responding to another call in the area.

The officer saw several people assaulting one man, Findlen said. As the officer tried to break up the fight, the crowd's attention shifted from the assault victim to the officer. The crowd surrounded the officer. The officer sent his dog into the crowd in an attempt to stop the group.

The dog apprehended one suspect, who police later identified as 18-year-old Alfredo Espinoza of Modesto. As the officer tried to arrest Espinoza, the crowd pulled Espinoza away from the officer.

According to police, some in the crowd then challenged the officer to a fight. One suspect attacked the officer, police said.

Officer's radio broken

The officer's two-way radio was broken during the struggle. The officer then used his gun to hold off the crowd as he tried to tell neighbors to call 911. Someone in the crowd had a police scanner, Findlen said, and told the rest of the crowd that other officers weren't responding to the scene. It was then that the officer was told he wouldn't be leaving the scene alive, according to police.

Backup units responded after calls from other residents.

Other officers responding to the scene stopped a vehicle and found Espinoza inside, Findlen said. The driver, 20-year-old Modesto resident Andrew Mitchell, and the passenger, 19-year-old Modesto resident Matthew Reyes, were arrested on suspicion of resisting and delaying a police officer, assaulting a police dog, and "lynching." Lynching is a law enforcement term that means forcibly removing a suspect -- in this case, Espinoza -- from police custody.

Two police scanners were found in the vehicle.

Two other suspects were arrested at the scene of the struggle. William Rodriguez, 29, of Modesto was arrested on suspicion of assaulting a police officer, false imprisonment of a police officer and lynching. Junior Suarez, 19, of Modesto was arrested on suspicion of resisting and delaying a police officer and lynching.

Assault rifle found

Officers reportedly found a loaded assault rifle magazine near the scene of the assault.

During a follow-up investigation later Sunday morning, police said, officers found a loaded, banned assault rifle that police believe was used at the scene of the party. Gabriel Avila, 21, of Modesto was arrested on suspicion of possessing an assault rifle.

Detectives are continuing their investigation. Anyone with information is asked to called the Modesto Police Department at 572-9500 or Crime Stoppers at 521-4636. Tipsters also can text information to 274637. Type "TIP704" with your message.

Bee staff writer Leslie Albrecht can be reached at [email protected] or 578-2378.

http://www.modbee.com/local/v-print/story/648161.html
Old August 28, 2009, 07:42 AM   #134
TailGator

I would love more details, but what is apparent to me is that this officer managed to escape an extremely dangerous situation without firing shots. While I would not have faulted him for firing in that situation, his restraint and professionalism may have saved his life; I admire his cool head and hope that more of us can emulate it.
Old August 28, 2009, 11:29 AM   #135
zxcvbob

Quote:
Residents on the 1700 block of Pelton Avenue described the scene as “horrifying”
...and yet none of them came to his aid (maybe they didn't have a rifle, being good Californians). I wonder if anyone even called 911? Too busy popping popcorn.
Old August 28, 2009, 11:36 AM   #136
pax

zxcvbob ~

Yes, they did.

Quote:
Backup units responded after calls from other residents.
Safest thing to do. 60 to 1 is horrifying odds. 60 to 2 isn't much better.

pax
Old August 28, 2009, 11:51 AM   #137
zxcvbob

Thanks Pax, I missed that (subconsciously probably wanted to miss it.) If I witnessed something like that in my neighborhood, I'd call 911 and then watch from the safety of my window -- through a rifle scope aimed at the head of whoever looked like the leader. Wouldn't shoot tho' unless it suddenly got pretty bad.
Old August 28, 2009, 11:57 AM   #138
Skans

If someone hasn't already said this..............RUN!:
Old August 28, 2009, 12:23 PM   #139
AmmoSphere

Do zombies count as a mob?
Old August 28, 2009, 07:54 PM   #140
MLH

Dust off and nuke from orbit.

Leave no witnesses.

"There is no distinctly native American criminal class, save congress." Mark Twain
Old August 29, 2009, 12:30 AM   #141
Dannyl

calling in a fire mission from 81mm mortars seems like a reasonable thing to do
Old August 29, 2009, 12:45 AM   #142
greywalker

run if possible, myself, I have less than great lungs from a bout of walking pneumonia that left me with lung scarring- so I would retreat to the side and away, hoping they were not fixated on me in particular- if followed, I would attempt to preserve my life by any means available- and hope that if it came to it I took a lot of them with me If I did go down.....
Old August 29, 2009, 03:10 AM   #143
Regular Joe

300 yards you say. If they haven't started shooting at me, I have no reason to shoot them, yet. If they're that far away, I have scared people running toward me, trying to outrun them, so it may be hard to just rain a few rounds of buckshot in their direction. Yea then. I have the Glock 17 ready to rock (always) and jump in the car.
If they're closer than that, and I don't have time to scoot, I just use loaded mags. 30 of them, armed with pipes, against 250 rounds..... OK.
Old August 29, 2009, 09:28 AM   #144
Rich Keagy

.. just the noise alone

I've seen surveillance video showing crowds react when shots are fired.
It's like a great wind just blows everyone away.
Once you've fired, you won't see anything other than people running away.
Everyone knows stray bullets kill. It's on the news all the time.
Everyone runs as fast as they can.
Old August 29, 2009, 01:58 PM   #145
obxned

Conan the Barbarian was always polite to the mobs and would ask "Who dies first?"

I'm a proud member of a North Carolina Committee of Safety
Old August 29, 2009, 02:52 PM   #146
Edward429451

Mobs are fueled by numbers and loudmouths. The large numbers of people give them security to follow the loudmouths direction. So it's simple, speak louder then the loudmouths, at the loudmouths (with a gun), and the crowd will listen to you instead and disperse.

Any questions?
Old August 29, 2009, 06:23 PM   #147
Moloch

1. be sure that they target you
2. run, if you cant outrun the mob take cover
3. wait until they are close enough to make 100% kill shots
4. shoot till you run out of ammo or the barrel melts away
5a. when the first few members catch the flying lead the rest runs away or
5b. you shoot and drop all attackers, or
4c. you run out of ammo and die kicking and stabbing the sob's with your knife taking as many as possible with you.
Old August 29, 2009, 07:24 PM   #148
Lee Lapin

Trainer John Farnam is fond of saying- "When it's least expected, you're elected." It's not possible to predict what is going to happen were, when, or why. A news story from the small town that's the county seat of the place I grew up is an illustration of that from earlier this week:

http://www.tuscmoms.com/article/2009...Riot-in-Marion
August 24, 2009

Alabama State Troopers say at least eight people have been arrested and four injured in what is being called a full-scale riot in the town of Marion. Perry County officials say a long-running feud between the Moore and Sawyer families erupted into a fight Monday morning at a high school.

One parent said it started when her son was jumped Sunday night after a basketball game. Cynthia Walter says he was threatened by a family in a gang. The windows were also shot out in another person’s car Sunday night. Marion Police say some of the people arrested for the riot Monday were responsible for shooting into that car. Walter says something more should have been done to protect the students at school. She says, “the school called us and told us not to let the kids come to school because some threats had been made on their lives. However, she says when they got to school the people who threatened her son carried out their threats.

Two people were arrested at the school, but another disturbance broke out at Marion City Hall. Compared to the four police on duty, Chief Tony Buford said the police were stuck in the middle of the riot – outnumber. “We called in outside resources right away because there was no way the four police officers… and the deputy sheriff here on the scene could control 110 people.” The mob grew to about 175 people, according to police. At least six more people have been arrested.

Chief Buford was hit in the head with a tire iron and the mayor was also assaulted. Law officers from throughout west Alabama were called in to the area to help. Some are staying in the area to maintain peace.
========================

So, what do you do?

Best answer is, don't be there.

lpl

Attitude and skill will get you through times of no gear, better than gear will get you through times of no attitude and no skill.
Old August 31, 2009, 01:23 AM   #149
procopper7005

I have faced an angry mob more than once in my career. The best bet is to retreat to safety and call as much backup as possible.
We were serving a drug search warrant in a large section 8 apartment complex and while inside the house doing the search the officer pulling security in the front advised us of a large crowd throwing rocks at our raid van which was parked out front. We had to call the entire patrol shift, 14 officers (one of which had a patrol dog), and the 5 state troopers who were on duty in our area to the scene. The troopers ended up having to pop smoke in the street out front (we didnt use tear gas becuase of children in the area). Our raid van had half of its windows broken out and we made 4 arrests from the crowd in addition to the 2 coke dealers inside the apartment. There was also several shots fired from about a block away into the air.
Why were they so mad? The guy we had raided had a safe inside with about 100 grand in drug money. He was holding the money for 2 other dealers who operated in the complex. All of their relatives, girl friends, children, etc lived off of their drug money and didnt want to see their lifestyle go down the tubes with the seizure of this money and the drugs.
This is the crap cops deal with which is why we now carry large canisters of crowd control pepper spray foggers.
If for some reason we had no back up we probably would have got into the van with our two prisoners and the small safe and just left in a hurry.
Old August 31, 2009, 10:37 AM   #150
zxcvbob

Quote:
Trainer John Farnam is fond of saying- "When it's least expected, you're elected."
I just figured out where I'd heard that before (it's been bugging me) "...You're the star today. Smile! You're on Candid Camera!"