The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: Bolt, Lever, and Pump Action

Old March 16, 2007, 01:53 PM   #1
dairycreek

Ruger M77 Frontier Rifle?

I am intrigued by the new Ruger M77 Frontier rifle which is, for all intents and purposes, Ruger's version of the "Scout"rifle with a forward mounted scope. I sure would appreciate hearing from any and all that have experience/opinions about this rifle - particularly in .308 which would be my calliber of choice. Thanks in advance for any and all posts.

GOOD SHOOTING
Old March 16, 2007, 03:12 PM   #2
Jseime

I dont have any experience with that rifle in particular because they dont make the derned things in a left-handed version but I love my regular sized M77.

I think that would be about the ultimate coyote gun in something like .243 because its short, light and fast to point.
Old March 17, 2007, 08:57 AM   #3
W5IEI

I have this in 7X57,the ultimate left/right handed scout rifle,and the scope is pretty much where it belongs.
Old March 17, 2007, 07:40 PM   #4
Molasses

Had one of the Frontier rifles, mine was a .308.

Wasn't enamored of lugging the laminated stock's weight around. I also think the safety isn't arranged to make it quick and natural to take off "safe" while bringing the rifle from ready to the shoulder, which struck me as self defeating in a quick handling, natural snap shooting rifle.

Otherwise, very nice little rifle. Liked it a lot and it sold me on the forward mounted IER scope concept. Pretty decent accuracy, for a lightweight barrel factory rifle.
Old March 18, 2007, 09:32 PM   #5
Kestrel

The laminated stock looks nice, but does add some weight. I agree on the safety - they are too short and easy to fumble. I also think the rifle should have an 18" barrel. Also needs a new trigger or trigger job.

Sooo... A synthetic stock, with a Limbsaver recoil pad, an 18" barrel, a longer safety lever, a better trigger and you would have a nice rifle. (Of course, it would then be a different rifle.)