The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 24, 2000, 11:51 AM   #1
Joe Portale

hi folks,

A buddy of mine wanted to know what the specifications for the clearence between the barrel and bushing on his Sig P228. The knows that the bushing is built into to the slide. But feels that the bushing/barrel clearence is too great. Can anyone help?

Thanks,

Joe
Old January 24, 2000, 11:58 AM   #2
metro25

Joe,
Looking at my P226 the clearance on the barrel and slide is not of critical tolerance. It is the repeatability of the lock up of the barrel to slide when it goes in to battery that makes my P226 accurate. BTW I copied the lock up action to my 1911 frakengun and it keyholes 5rds at 25yds. HTH
Old January 24, 2000, 07:36 PM   #3
EQUALIZER

Metro 25,

What is you Frankengun like? Where did you find a barrel w/a locking block instead of link/pin/lugs for a 1911? I'd like to build a project like that from the ground up if the cost is comparibly reasonable.

Joe,

Metro 25 is right. All SIGS have a large barrel hole in the slide. They are made to cradle, direct, and allow enough space for barrel tilt when the locking block disengages. The block keeps the barrel and slide as solid as a single unit until the bullet leaves the muzzel. This is one of the reasons that SIGS tend to be more consistantly accurate as a group than most factory 1911s....exceptions noted.

robert

------------------
"But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip; and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." -Jesus Christ (Luke 22:36, see John 3:15-18)

[This message has been edited by EQUALIZER (edited January 24, 2000).]
Old January 24, 2000, 10:08 PM   #4
metro25

The frankengun is fitted with a Kart NM barrel, oversize link and a Kings NM stainless steel bushing. It was fitted very slooowly to duplicate the lock-up action of the sig. The frame is caspian and the slide is IMI TZZ topped with a Bomar melt. The internals are Chip Maccormik(sp). It came close to approx price of a Kimber.HTH
Old January 25, 2000, 09:10 AM   #5
Joe Portale

Thanks for the info, I'll pas this along to my friend.

Joe