The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old August 13, 2001, 03:12 PM   #1
9mmMike

870 action - how loose?

Well now that I have my 870 and I'm trying to learn as much as I can, I have another question.
How loose or free should the action be? I'm talking about racking the slide here. Should it drop fairly easily if I hold the shotgun upright and press the release?
I was reading something on fine-tuning that sort of implied that it should almost drop by itself with perhaps just a hint of a downward jerk.
Mine is a bit stiff but I figured that is because it's new. Should I put any effort into stripping it and trying to smooth the action or will it "break-in" after a few million rounds.
Thanks,
Mike
IF YOU LIVE IN PA AND DID NOT VOTE, YOU DESERVE TO LOSE YOUR GUNS!
Old August 13, 2001, 03:37 PM   #2
johnbt

I'd say a bit stiff is normal. Unless you're talking about an 870 Express and then I would think it would be even stiffer.

If you hold the release in on yours, with the muzzle up, and shake it down once, will it open? Will it open if you bang the pad on the floor? Don't worry, it'll get better.

My Exp. Mag. took a thousand or two cycles to smooth up, but it still wasn't a Winchester Model 12. I did help it along some with some Flitz polish used sparingly on a few of the moving parts. It would have smoothed out eventually without the polish, but I needed it for duck season and didn't have time to break it in by shooting it every other day for a couple of weeks.

John
Old August 13, 2001, 06:05 PM   #3
S.F.S

I have an 870 Express and a gunsmith recommend putting some rem-oil on the action bars and just keep working the action and thats what I did and mine smoothed up pretty good. I also like the sound of the action being racked
I recently started using some stuff called Slip 2000 and after the first time I used it I noticed a difference in smoothness.
Old August 13, 2001, 07:47 PM   #4
Dave McC
Staff In Memoriam

Make SURE it's empty and...

Sit in front of the TV .Use a good oil or CLP, put one drop on each action bar where it meets the receiver when the action's closed.Hold the slide release down and rack it until you're tired.Switch hands, repeat.

A few sitcoms or gameshows later, it's smoother...
Old August 13, 2001, 10:37 PM   #5
HarryB

there's a good joke in there, somewhere...