The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2017, 11:21 AM   #1
lantern2814

Question about the trigger on the Ruger lc9s

My wife decided that the Ruger lc9s was the gun that was small enough in 9mm that she liked the feel and looks of over all the other sub compact offerings. So, I bought one for her and over the last few weeks we've hit the range and she still loves it. Not one word about the trigger.

Well, I HAVEN'T been shooting her gun on our trips as I wanted her to get as much time with it as possible while I worked on my own guns.

Yesterday I went alone and since she wasn't using that one I took the Ruger with me. Here's the question. Is the striker supposed to just surprise you the way this one does? Meaning there's no real stop and then break of the shot during the trigger stroke. The stroke itself is fairly smooth, but there's just a easy take up then creeeeeeeeep BANG about 85% into the pull. For the life of me I couldn't get used to it.

Now, what I COULD do is hold the gun steady and pull the trigger as if I were firing a DA gun and got pretty good results with it. If the gun is supposed to break in the way that I've described then this is the best way I've found to be accurate. It makes sense that my wife hasn't mentioned it since she usually shoots as if she's firing a DA trigger no matter what she's shooting. Got a little bit of Rob Leatham in her style. LOL

In short(or not so short). Is this how the trigger usually is on the LC9s? Not really a problem, unless it's SUPPOSED to have a solid stop and then break.

Last edited by lantern2814; February 19, 2017 at 11:27 AM.
Old February 20, 2017, 07:02 PM   #2
Colorado Redneck

The LC380 that I have has that kind of trigger pull, exactly. This gun by Ruger is an LC9 chambered in 380. Google LC9 reviews, and you will find the same info.
Old February 23, 2017, 06:12 AM   #3
jetinteriorguy

Yes, that's pretty much the way mine is. I just basically pull through very similar to shooting a revolver DA. This is why I love my Lc9s since I'm an old revolver guy.
Old February 23, 2017, 06:53 AM   #4
Hoppy

Same on mine. Its a great trigger. My wife can manipulate the controls and slide easily too.
Old February 23, 2017, 11:37 PM   #5
Southrnshooter

That gun scares me. My sons father in law has one and let me shoot it. My first shot was way before I was ready. Trigger is way to easy and no wall to it. Just take up and then boom.

I'm not sure I would want it as a carry gun. I have a J-frame with an Apex kit that is much easier to stage. I like my sons Shield in 9mm or mine in 45 much better.
Old February 24, 2017, 01:15 AM   #6
lantern2814

I'm glad that it's normal. I see other folks are using it the same way I was and that's to treat it as a DA gun. Shooting it this way I could easily fire decent groups.

Also......glad there was at least one other person that was "scared" by the gun. A lightweight gun going off while you're searching for a wall that isn't there can be a heck of a surprise. LOL!
Old February 24, 2017, 05:41 PM   #7
greyeyezz

Quote:
I'm not sure I would want it as a carry gun.
Not without a safety, which it has. Thats why I think the lc9s has a lighter trigger than the pro.
Old February 24, 2017, 06:44 PM   #8
Hoppy

Do the specs say it has a lighter trigger than the pro model? I've never tried a pro model trigger so I can't compare.

I don't think this gun should be scaring you, it's not that light of a trigger. Have you guys ever shot a nice single action? Your finger was on the trigger so it shouldn't be firing before you're ready. The fact that you can't predict the break will allow for accurate shooting if you are focused on the front sight and a proper trigger pull. I've seen it with people shooting my LC9s.

I have a j frame that I can stage right up to before it breaks so it's similar to shooting single action. I happen to think it needs a trigger job to make a smooth double action trigger.