The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old April 16, 2015, 11:06 PM   #1
bamaranger

Moss 835 loose action bars....?

Bought an 835 for bamaboy a couple of years back, he's busy with school, I'm hunting the gun this spring (gobblers). The action bars seem to have gotten "sloppier" over the course of time. The gun rattles like a loose muffler. The nut for the forend is tight. The pins that hold the bars to the forend assembly seem the issue. There seems a need for some vertical play in the action bars in the design.

Is this a characteristic of the Mossberg pumps? Can the action bars be tweaked to reduce the rattle?? The gun shoots wonderful tight patterns, better than my beloved 870, but I fear the clanky forend is liable to spook gobblers up close.
Old April 17, 2015, 08:21 AM   #2
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

Is the back ring on the action slide tube, that the bars connect to, a casting? I can't remember right off, but that may be the culprit. I think they are held in those slots with a pin, and it is easy to get slop in those, as the forearm is worked more. You may be able to tighten the slots, that holds the arms, by pressing the slots slightly together in a vise, while leaving the rods in it.
Old April 17, 2015, 03:38 PM   #3
dylank0723

My 870s and my BPS have gotten some rattle after a lot of use
Old April 17, 2015, 04:25 PM   #4
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

dylank0723,

About all pumps do. My Winchester model 12's have a rattle, but I like the easy action movement that comes with it. You can hold them up in the air, depress the action lock button, and they will wrench themselves open. I like that at shooting matches, when loading a single round by the other hand.
Old April 17, 2015, 09:51 PM   #5
Slopemeno

In my experience, most Mossbergs are that way- if you take the forend assembly off the mag tube, and remove the wood forend- you can see the action bars are held into the action slide by one pin, in some rather generous slots- you can probably move the action bars up and down 1/4" at the ends.

If it makes you feel any better- the low end Mossbergs and all the Mavericks have the action bars pinned directly into the nylon forend.

Don't sweat it- it doesn't hurt their performance in the least.
Old April 18, 2015, 06:57 PM   #6
dylank0723

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dixie Gunsmithing View Post
dylank0723,

About all pumps do. My Winchester model 12's have a rattle, but I like the easy action movement that comes with it. You can hold them up in the air, depress the action lock button, and they will wrench themselves open. I like that at shooting matches, when loading a single round by the other hand.
Yeah the action in my bps is smooth as silk, along with the rattle lol
Old April 19, 2015, 12:42 AM   #7
bamaranger

not all

Well, all pumps may rattle some, but my old 870, bought new by me in 1981 and shot plenty, rattles little if at all. The action bars and the sleeve that attach them to the forend metal are one piece.

The 835's bars are pinned to forend assembly, and the vertical play is considerable. Still the dang thing does shoot....tight, but what a racket.
Old April 19, 2015, 04:26 AM   #8
Dixie Gunsmithing
Moderator Emeritus

One thought that came to mind, might be in applying black silicone sealant to the slots. It has give to it, which would allow the rods to move a bit, but it would hold them from rattling as much.

To do it, it would be best to remove the forearm, then put the tube back on the gun, and wrench the action open, so the rods would be back as far as they could go, to align them. Next, apply the black silicone into the slots, and allow it to dry for a day. Then try the gun, and see how it works. Worst comes to worst, it can be removed easily.
Old April 19, 2015, 04:49 PM   #9
bamaranger

well

Now that's a thought. Kind of like rubber mounting or a boot of sorts.

We'll see.
Old April 20, 2015, 12:54 AM   #10
Slopemeno

That'd work. I'd probably go with some E-6000 instead of silicone, but that's just me.