The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Art of the Rifle: General

Old December 10, 2011, 04:09 PM   #1
WildWilly

Custom Savage

I want to build a custom rifle and I want to run it by some more people before I proceed. I want to take a Savage Model 10 FP-SR in .308 and remover the synthetic stock. As we all know you cannot get a plain wood stock to fit a heavy barrel savage, so I want to take a plain wood stock and re-channel the stock to fit the heavy barrel gun. This would give me a heavy barrel, wood stock gun, which is what I want. Brownells sells the tools I need to do the wood work, I just want to know if there are any unforeseen implaecations before I proceed with purchasing the wood stock and the smithing tools.

Below are pictures of the gun and the stock I want to put on the gun.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gun1.jpg (80.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Stock.jpg (65.0 KB, 91 views)
Old December 10, 2011, 05:14 PM   #2
hooligan1

It can be done, it's alot of work, I haven't done that myself but it's something that a good quality craftsman could undertake just go slowly and be carefull,,,, and most of all enjoy the work you put into your rifle.
Pillar-bed the action and float that barrel only if it really makes it shoot better, sometimes floating doesn't make it shoot better, but it can most times.

Good luck and have fun dude!! (oh and by the way do not get rid of the synthetic stock)
Old December 10, 2011, 05:33 PM   #3
blacksky

Savage Arms Custom Made Stocks

http://www.accurateinnovations.com/s...fle-stock.html
Old December 10, 2011, 07:55 PM   #4
tobnpr

Check out Richards Microfit.
They have a huge variety of styles, and will open up the barrel channel to fit your contour. Might have to wait though- but that'll be with anyone. I'm going to order a Boyds stock (I have an older staggered-feed action) and open up the barrel channel myself.

http://rifle-stocks.com/available_inventory.htm
Old December 10, 2011, 11:15 PM   #5
Txhillbilly

Enlarging the barrel channel on a wood stock is very simple. Just take a piece of PVC pipe and wrap it with sandpaper.It works fast,and easy.
I modified a Boyds LH thumbhole stock to fit my Savage 12-223 in a couple hours.

Tags
308 , gun , savage , sniper , tactical