The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old February 19, 2010, 09:35 PM   #1
Cool_Hand

Glock refurbishing service

I actually posted this in one of the threads talking about glocks but on the website of my local gun store they talk of a glock refurbishing service that glock does.
They claim that glock will refinish the slide, spruce up the frame, replace any parts that may be worn, install new factory sights and upgrade any parts so that they meet current specs for a very reasonable fee + shipping. Give them a call for the current fee for this service. They also say you must specifically note you want the slide refinished when sending it in. Anyone actually ever done this and know the price? I know my pops was thinking about sending his glock in to have this done.

link is here http://fsguns.com/glocks.html at the bottom of the page
Old February 20, 2010, 02:48 PM   #2
Don P

Never used the service and personally I think I'll be dead before I get enough rounds down range to be in need of this service. Out of curiosity I am going to ask how many rounds do you thing have to put thru a handgun to be in need of such a service?
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 20, 2010, 04:24 PM   #3
johnwilliamson062

Glock slides are nitrided, correct? I know very little about this process, but i preiously thought it could not be redone exactly b/c it is a chemical reaction with the actual metal, not a coating.

Maybe I don't know what I am talking about.
Old February 20, 2010, 07:09 PM   #4
TXGunNut

Might be a good option for a newbie purchasing a used Glock. Haven't seen many Glock slides that need refinishing, that's a pretty tough finish IMHO. I guess abuse can wear off any finish.
My favorite recipes start out with a handful of used wheelweights.
Old February 21, 2010, 06:23 AM   #5
Sixer

Quote:
Glock slides are nitrided, correct?
Glock slides have a phosphate finish over the tennifer on the slide, that's what gives the Glock slide it's color and texture. It is three microns deep, extremely hard and rust proof.

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old February 21, 2010, 07:36 PM   #6
SouthpawShootr

I have 2 in my inventory that were factory refurbs. Other than being second generation (these are probably out of the system by now), they looked new. Niether came with night sights. I added those later. As far as sprucing up the frame goes, there's not much they can do other than smoothing out any scratches. They do go over the gun and update everything.
Old February 22, 2010, 11:45 AM   #7
hoytinak

What all does the upgrades consist of? I've got a G19 made in Apr. '89 that hasn't had anything done to it and I'd like to do it. I'd like to just get the parts and do it myself though as I don't want it re-finished (I like the character marks on it ).
Old February 22, 2010, 01:31 PM   #8
dabigguns357

I thought about doing the same to my gen 2 Glock 22 but decided to go the other way around and go for the 2 tone look,plus i rounded off that pesky trigger horn.So far no trouble with my finish or frame.If all you want to do is refinish the slide lone wolf can do this for $59.95

Old February 22, 2010, 11:02 PM   #9
Cool_Hand

To Don P the reason I ask is I live in the great ol' state Massachusetts where you can only buy glocks that were made before 1998, so since I would have to buy a glock made over a decade ago I would want to have that service done
Old February 22, 2010, 11:12 PM   #10
Don P

Understood and thats why I moved out of that hell hole 18 years ago to sunny gun friendly FLA.
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 23, 2010, 12:21 PM   #11
hagar

I sent my slide back to Crock for a refinish, and was pretty upset when I got it back. It looked like they dunked a brush in a bucket of tar, and just smeared it on, I am NOT kidding. Had to get a professional to refinish it for me in a teflon moly black.
Old February 23, 2010, 02:31 PM   #12
texagun

Quote:
I sent my slide back to Crock for a refinish, and was pretty upset when I got it back. It looked like they dunked a brush in a bucket of tar, and just smeared it on,
Did you take a photo of it when you got it back? Sure would like to see them.
Old February 23, 2010, 03:46 PM   #13
PeterGunn

Quote:
Quote:
I sent my slide back to Crock for a refinish, and was pretty upset when I got it back. It looked like they dunked a brush in a bucket of tar, and just smeared it on,

Did you take a photo of it when you got it back? Sure would like to see them.
I would as well...

I would also like to hear how Glock (Crock) responded to your subsequent phone call/email letting them know of your dissatisfaction. I would also love to hear what they did to make it right.

PeterGunn
Old February 23, 2010, 04:47 PM   #14
mchris80

Never had the finish messed with but have taken two in to have the insides updated. Several parts have been beefed up over the years and they replace all of it for free. They have also updated several magazines for me. I live a few miles from them so I always just go in and they have been great so far.
Old February 23, 2010, 09:16 PM   #15
hoytinak

I just don't understand how if you drive there, there'll do it while you wait in the lobby but for those of us that'd have to send it in I'll be waiting 6-8 weeks (that's what Glock told me yesterday). Why can't they have it back in at least 1 week?

Also for those that have sent yours in, do they pay the return shipping?
Old February 25, 2010, 06:14 PM   #16
greco

mchris, please tell me what the magazine upgrade is.. I have about 50 mags, and some are older, but not beat up...
Old February 25, 2010, 06:30 PM   #17
mchris80

They have chanced the follower a few times. I think the newest have a 6 on them, they also have a spot cut out on the front of the magazine for the ambidextrous safety that is supposed to come out. Never had a problem with any of the older followers but figured I might as well get new ones if it is free. I would call on the mags first, not sure if they just do that when you go in.
Old February 25, 2010, 07:04 PM   #18
shepherddogs

My Model 20 hit the pavement and got skinned up really bad. I sent it in to be refurbished by Glock. When I got it back it looked great. For about 3 days that is. After a few draws in and out of the holster the finish wore off like shoe polish in the exact places where it had been damaged. They also upgraded? some internal parts. Now when you rack the slide it makes a squealing sound presumably from the recoil spring. I ended up sending it to Robar for the NP3 slide refinish. I just live with the squeaky recoil spring.
Old February 26, 2010, 08:25 AM   #19
Skans

Why would I want to refurbish my Glock? The fun of owning it is to see how much I can abuse it and still have it function perfectly. I'm going on 20 years and countless thousands of rounds and I barely have any noticeable finish wear on the slide. The frame looks like it did when I bought it. And, the internal steel parts finally have a nice "polish" to them.
Old February 26, 2010, 11:48 AM   #20
lafd04

I bought one of the pd trade in's that was a factory refurb. I was told that the frame was replaced with a gen 3 frame (original gen 2) new springs, barrel and new night sights. If they didn't refinish the slide then this gun never saw a holster.
Old February 27, 2010, 02:41 AM   #21
big bug

glock

I love my glocks...if I ever were to wear one out it would just give me an excuse to buy another one.
Old February 27, 2010, 06:12 AM   #22
Sixer

Quote:
I love my glocks...if I ever were to wear one out it would just give me an excuse to buy another one.
yup

-There is no theory of evolution... Just a list of creatures Chuck Norris has allowed to live.
Old February 27, 2010, 07:09 AM   #23
1goodshot

You can buy a complete rebuild kit and do it yourself its not that hard. The refinishing of the slide I dont care about, I like the looks of my used gun.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:29 AM   #24
TimHedrick

Glock Slide Refurbishing - Take a Pass

I sent my 15 year old Gen 2 Glock 27 in to Glock for this with a request to refinish both the barrel and slide ($20 and $40 respectively). Obviously, after 15 years of duty use it had accumulated a good number of minor scuffs, scratches, and other blemishes. When it came back after about 5 weeks it looked flawless, perfect black slide with the old scratches and scuffs erased.

Unfortunately, within two weeks it sustained a two inch to-the-bare-metal scratch along the slide from rubbing against something in my gym bag. I mean, down to bare shiny metal. I carried that gun for fifteen years and never sustained an abbrasion like that through the factory glock finish.

Clearly, whatever Glock does when they refinish these weapons is strictly cosmetic and nothing like the original protective finish the guns ship out with. Knowing this now, I would have stayed with the original fifteen year finish with the minor scuffs and scrapes. This was a huge mistake and I'll now be shipping it off again to get a third party to put some kind of durable and more protective coating on that slide. This Glock deal is a big mistake.
Old January 5, 2013, 09:31 AM   #25
thedudeabides

I've never actually seen a Glock beat up from normal use.

I guess if you trash it with 45 Super you might need this...