The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old December 11, 2019, 03:51 PM   #26
Rapidrob

It has to be accurate at 25 yards. If it is, it will be at any defensive distance.
All other factors are there as well.
Old December 11, 2019, 05:36 PM   #27
pete2

My test is the same for revolver or semi, it has to go bang every time the trigger is pulled. It's been a gimmie with the revolvers but some of the semis never make it.
Old December 12, 2019, 09:38 AM   #28
USNRet93

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMK View Post
I searched the forum and surprisingly couldn't find a thread on this, probably my bad search-fu.

So you buy a cool new (or new to you) revolver for concealed carry. What is your process for testing the gun and what does it need to accomplish for you trust it enough to bet your life on it?
Well, you test it with range ammo and then test it with carry ammo...but your post kinda implies, once you are satisfied, you carry it but don't 'shoot' it much after that. For my 2 'carry' handguns, I shoot them as much as I shoot my 'range' gun..why?
-Cuz it's fun
-It makes sure the gun is STILL reliable(occasional mag of carry ammo out of carry magazines)
-ensures I get better with it
-Cuz it's fun

BTW-A Youtube video I saw once recommended cleaning the gun 'before' you go to the range with it but NOT cleaning it before you carried it..'assuming' the chances of gooning something up is higher with cleaning it than with shooting it.

YMMV, IMHO and all that.

"Tools not Trophies”
Old December 12, 2019, 02:41 PM   #29
DMK

Quote:
...but your post kinda implies, once you are satisfied, you carry it but don't 'shoot' it much after that...
That is definitely not the case with me. I shoot my carry guns.

In fact, a few times a year, I like to pull one of my carry guns (or HD guns) out of its holster and shoot it exactly as I've been carrying it, SD ammo, dust bunnies and all.

Quote:
BTW-A Youtube video I saw once recommended cleaning the gun 'before' you go to the range with it but NOT cleaning it before you carried it..'assuming' the chances of gooning something up is higher with cleaning it than with shooting it.
That's kind of weird advice. If one is screwing their gun up by cleaning it, maybe they are doing it wrong. I have never, ever made a gun malfunction by cleaning it. I have however gotten guns pretty filthy from range practice.

- Homeland Security begins at home: Support your Second Amendment -
www.gunowners.org - www.grnc.org

Last edited by DMK; December 12, 2019 at 03:08 PM.