The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Revolver Forum

Old November 15, 2019, 04:41 PM   #1
OhioGuy

New to the revolver fold -- J Frame

Just announcing that I've moved a foot into Revolver Land

I've been through two pocket-sized .380s and I just can't handle them well. Too small, too jumpy, too easy to fumble on the draw for me. So I found a used 442 for a great $300 price and I'm looking forward to learning to master the snubbie as a deep concealment gun.
Old November 15, 2019, 05:21 PM   #2
ThomasT

Welcome to the real world of shooting. You're gonna like that gun. Start saving your Shekels because this won't be your last revolver. Hint: S&W model 15s are about the best 38 Special you can own. And they made lots of them.

Last edited by ThomasT; November 15, 2019 at 06:02 PM.
Old November 15, 2019, 05:40 PM   #3
perpster

Congrats.

Suggest practicing keeping the sights on target during the double action trigger pull by dry firing with a coin on the top strap (and/or using laser grips or a bore sight laser).
Old November 15, 2019, 06:29 PM   #4
briandg

I think that adding some diversity to your arms collection was a good idea. the guy who will never have anything but a dodge isn't doing himself any favors.
Old November 15, 2019, 09:49 PM   #5
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioGuy View Post
Just announcing that I've moved a foot into Revolver Land

I've been through two pocket-sized .380s and I just can't handle them well. Too small, too jumpy, too easy to fumble on the draw for me. So I found a used 442 for a great $300 price and I'm looking forward to learning to master the snubbie as a deep concealment gun.
Coolness.

Now start on a search for just the right set of grips.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "
Old November 16, 2019, 06:22 AM   #6
jetinteriorguy

I agree, a nice Model 15 is a thing of beauty. I also have a Model 67 and it's my go to gun. I've been wanting a nice 4" Model 19, but I just recently picked up a Ruger 4" GP100 and am really liking it. The trigger pull while heavy, is smooth and consistent with a crisp let off. It is getting better with dry firing and I have a Wolf spring kit on the way. Once I get the trigger lightened up it may just well become one of my favorites. While I'm not a fan of full under lug barrels and have always been a Smith guy, I'm excited about the Ruger and glad I tried one out.
Old November 16, 2019, 08:52 AM   #7
OhioGuy

Haha, real shooting huh? As someone who routinely shoots semi-autos with red dot sights, I'm clearly not in Kansas anymore.

I picked up the J frame last night and put 50 inaugural rounds through it. I already shoot it much better than any pocket .380. Between the short grip, stiff trigger and tiny sights I have a definite tendency to hit high with it, obviously my wrist is breaking as I'm completing the pull. Was much worse toward the end and I could tell my finger was getting tired! Even with some orange paint, the sights don't qualify as sights vs. what I'm used to.

I've read that the Crimson Trace laser grips are kinda chintzy feeling plastic.

I've held the Hogue grips before, super comfortable but much larger and seem to negate the super concealability of the small revolver. I would be open to lightening the trigger pull.

I will definitely put a coin on the top rail and practice the trigger squeeze.

I will also have to learn how to draw and present without automatically taking a semi-auto support hand position, as I really don't want to burn my hand!
Old November 16, 2019, 09:02 AM   #8
briandg

If you want to have a truly accurate reading of what your trigger pull performance will be, tape a very small laser pointer either along the barrel or on the butt. It doesn't matter if it is aimed properly, you just want to see the movement. Set up a target and dry fire using the target and whatever sighting system you plan on using.

Set up your phone, tablet, whatever you own, to record a half hour or so of dry firing with the laser showing exactly what your trigger pull is doing to your point of aim all the way through the sequence. If there is a spot when you yank your gun off of point of aim by a few degrees, you will now know exactly what is happening.
Old November 16, 2019, 09:07 AM   #9
OhioGuy

While in the store, I held and marveled at a $900 Kimber K6 stainless revolver. Wow. That was a thing of beauty. I will say, something about a solid steel weapon with a cylinder on it feels more "real" than all the plastic guns I'm used to.

That said, my plastic gun carries almost 3x the rounds and is still lighter than the K6 revolver, so there's that...
Old November 16, 2019, 10:47 AM   #10
lee n. field

Quote:
Haha, real shooting huh? As someone who routinely shoots semi-autos with red dot sights, I'm clearly not in Kansas anymore.

I picked up the J frame last night and put 50 inaugural rounds through it. I already shoot it much better than any pocket .380.
That was my experience too. I actually picked up my first snub earlier, shot reasonably well with it. Then bought an LCP. Found that just wasn't as much fun to shoot, decided I'd rather have 5 of .38 than 6 of .380, and went back to the Taurus 605.

Quote:
I've read that the Crimson Trace laser grips are kinda chintzy feeling plastic.
I have 2, both larger grips, one for the Taurus small frame and one for the j-frame. Both acquired in the last 6 months. Love them. Maybe the smallest size boot grip is plasticy. These are not. Rubber, quite pleasant to use, even without the laser. And using the laser, I can make good hits quite a bit further out than with the iron sights.

Ignoring color differences in the grip and laser, CT has, I think, 4 different j-frame options.

Your Mileage May Vary. I have pretty big hands.

Quote:
I've held the Hogue grips before, super comfortable but much larger and seem to negate the super concealability of the small revolver.
I like larger grips, but never cared much for the Hogue rubber grips. Just always found something else I like better. Right now, the above mentioned Crimson Trace grips.

Quote:
I would be open to lightening the trigger pull.
Shoot it a bunch, dry fire the crap out of it, before you muck with the trigger.

Quote:
will definitely put a coin on the top rail and practice the trigger squeeze.
"Meh." (Lasergrip helps a lot with this. Just keep the dot steady.)

Quote:
I will also have to learn how to draw and present without automatically taking a semi-auto support hand position, as I really don't want to burn my hand!
You'll get used to it.
"As was the man of dust, so also are those who are of the dust, and as is the man of heaven, so also are those who are of heaven. Just as we have borne the image of the man of dust, we shall also bear the image of the man of heaven. "

Last edited by lee n. field; November 18, 2019 at 03:27 PM.
Old November 16, 2019, 12:43 PM   #11
dyl

Congrats. After you shoot well with a double action revolver, you are going to have to keep yourself from scoffing at people who jump on purchasing the newest semi-auto with a marginally "better" trigger, saying that the last trigger "sucks".

Crimson trace grips - I have a set on a j frame, the boot grip style that extends no further than the revolver's frame. It's thinner than a lot of grips, so not a lot of meat. I don't feel the plastic is cheap. I filed a tiny bit of a sharp edge off where the plastic lets the backstrap protrude through the grip, before the grip transitions up to the rubber cushion in back. The plastic feels solid, has a fine matte texture, and doesn't have a greasy feeling like worn police trade-in Gen 3 Glock starts to have. Crimson trace can be had in different styles. There's a full 3 finger grip that accommodates your pinky if you want or the small boot grip style. Even if you do get it, I'd practice with and without laser on.
Old November 16, 2019, 05:49 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by lee n. field View Post
Coolness.

Now start on a search for just the right set of grips.
I have several revolvers with Altamonts. A combination of combat grips and rubber with wood inserts. Very reasonably priced and nice looking. Just my two cents.
Old November 17, 2019, 10:27 AM   #13
Real Gun

With a gun that size, going to grips you like will probably negate the conceal-ability. Since it is not a target gun, maybe just learning to shoot it as-is at close range, point and shoot, is the way to think of it. Ergonomics comes more into play with that Model 10 someone mentioned, but it is not easy to conceal without controlling what you wear, let alone to put it in a pocket.
Old November 17, 2019, 02:23 PM   #14
JimCunn

Which revolver you referring to?
Old November 17, 2019, 08:18 PM   #15
OhioGuy

The guy I bought from included three speed loaders with it. They seem to get hung up on the grip and aren't easy to actually use. What am I doing wrong?
Old November 17, 2019, 08:27 PM   #16
lee n. field

Quote:
The guy I bought from included three speed loaders with it. They seem to get hung up on the grip and aren't easy to actually use. What am I doing wrong?
What speedloader (make and model), and what grips do you have?
Old November 17, 2019, 09:27 PM   #17
tallball

When you're practicing, load four instead of five. Spin the chamber and then close it without looking.

When the gun doesn't move when you pull the trigger on the empty chamber, you know you're on the right track.

It's an old Indian trick my friend from Bombay taught me.
Old November 19, 2019, 05:35 PM   #18
perpster

There are a number of Crimson Trace models that fit J-frames. Some are hard plastic, some are soft rubber. Some are full length, some are shorter lengths.

Personally, I like Crimson Trace grips. Am not familiar with other brands.

Very good for dry firing and trigger squeeze control.

ETA: the one (or more) empty cylinder technique is also very good for exposing your deficiencies, such as recoil anticipation.
Old November 21, 2019, 09:42 AM   #19
gnystrom

Good choice but think carefully about the words "deep Concealment" My theory is, if you don't have it in hand, you better be able to draw in under two seconds.
Old December 1, 2019, 06:21 AM   #20
perpster

Highly recommend "The Snubby Revolver" by Ed Lovette. Paperback, good and easy read, lots of accurate and useful info. Paladin Press.
Old December 2, 2019, 07:08 AM   #21
OhioGuy

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnystrom View Post
Good choice but think carefully about the words "deep Concealment" My theory is, if you don't have it in hand, you better be able to draw in under two seconds.
True -- I was thinking more along the lines of "buried more deeply below the belt in a belly-band or "smart carry" type of holster, so that I can tuck my shirt around it and still reach it easily.

I've tried to carry a variety of semi-autos in that manner and they print badly under a tucked shirt unless they're pushed down low, and then it's very hard to get a grip on them to draw. The revolver's hooked shape makes it possible to keep it down low and still grip it.
Old December 2, 2019, 07:09 AM   #22
OhioGuy

I found a set of LG-405 (the rubber over-molded) laser grips for a good price and should have those soon! I've had lasers before and know them to be very effective training and dry fire tools.
Old December 2, 2019, 08:20 AM   #23
rodfac

That laser attached via tape or as an integral part of your grips, will teach you things about your trigger manipulation, and to a degree, your grip uniformity that are difficult to learn in any other way. Extensive dry firing from the leather is the key.

By way of example, I taught a friend's wife the basics of revolver DA shooting in just about an hour with a set of Crimson Trace's on her Smith M637. She went from holding the unloaded gun like a dead rat, to a fairly accomplished DA shooter in short order. We used .38 Spl wadcutters for the introduction with a fair amount of time just dry firing first. It was an eye-opener for me...truth be told.

She was motivated by an attempted home invasion that she successfully thwarted by slamming the door in his face. Later he was apprehended AFTER attacking a neighbor. Her political stance vis-a-vis the NRA and all things gun related changed abruptly.

YMMv, Rod
Cherish our flag, honor it, defend it in word and deed, or get the hell out. Our Bill of Rights has been paid for by heros in uniform and shall not be diluted by misguided governmental social experiments. We owe this to our children, anything less is cowardice. USAF FAC, 5th Spl Forces, Vietnam Vet '69-'73.
Old December 3, 2019, 09:30 AM   #24
lee n. field

Quote:
Originally Posted by perpster View Post
Highly recommend "The Snubby Revolver" by Ed Lovette. Paperback, good and easy read, lots of accurate and useful info. Paladin Press.
Good luck with that. Paladin Press has been gone for a while. Amazon copies are high to astronomical. (He can't have mine.)

Word on the "I'm With Roscoe" BookFace group is that they are working with the author on an updated version.