The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old May 8, 2019, 05:52 PM   #1
308Loader

Lapua .308 palma brass

Hello all. Found some .308 Palma cases in the discount cave for $30, couldn't pass 100 new Lapua cases at that price. Quick loogle search showed me that they are a small rifle primer .308 case. What should I be looking at as far as load data goes. Same as normal book data? what primer? Read that small rifle mag or BR primers should be used? Should avoid hard to ignite ball powders?

I have on hand some IMR4064, Varget and IMR4895 that would seem to fit the bill. Also have some CCI 450 Mag primers. 308 bullets from 125 to 208 on hand. where to start?

Rifles are Savage 10-t-sr and Rem 700P. Local range only goes to 200M but 45min drive to a range that goes to 1K. Not a member at the 1k range yet but could shoot as a guest or join a match that I will most certainly loose (no experience past 300yrds). Not that loosing would be a bad thing, just don't want to embarrass my host, might be a good experience for me.

Sorry for the plethora of questions, I have a habit of jumping into the unknown if only to find a grain of knowledge to keep.
Old May 8, 2019, 06:11 PM   #2
308Loader

Side note, flash hole looks smaller than a 223. decapping pin must be special?
Old May 8, 2019, 08:23 PM   #3
Bart B.

I used Rem 7½ small rifle primers in Rem 308 BR cases with 45.3 grains if IMR4895 under Sierra 155's.

I think IMR4064 is too slow for bullets under 165 grains in 308 cases.

IMR4064 good for 165 to 190 grain bullets. IMR4350 for 200 to 220 grains.

Update.....

Ball powders seldom, if ever, produce best accuracy. "Best" being smallest SD or ES of at least 25 shots.
NRA Smallbore Prone Master

Last edited by Bart B.; May 9, 2019 at 06:39 AM.
Old May 8, 2019, 10:54 PM   #4
hounddawg

use your normal load, do a test of as many different primers as you can get your hands on to see which performs best. Normal decapping pin will not work. Redding and Mighty Armory have the undersized replacement pins available. Lee does not and I am not sure about RCBS and Hornady

I like the Mighty Armory decappers, I remember they have had some issues with their other dies according to their emails but the decapper is nice.I bought extra pins but so far have never been able to break one but @$2.99 a pair what the heck

https://www.mightyarmory.com/collect...ade-in-the-usa

these are the pins you need https://www.mightyarmory.com/collect...d-and-tempered

or just save money and use a Lee Universal and sand down the end of the pin in a drillpress till it fits all the way to the shoulder of the pin
Old May 19, 2019, 01:56 PM   #5
chiefr

Good stuff!! You got a good deal.
Old May 21, 2019, 06:53 PM   #6
308Loader

Hounddawg is it the .057 pin? Mighty Armory decappers look pretty cool, kind of spendy. Might try to sand down my lee, have several extra pins.

Bart, haven't seen you post in a while. Just wanted to say thanks. It was you that gave me my first advise loading .308 Win several years ago. That got me started down the reloading rabbit hole.
Old May 22, 2019, 09:06 AM   #7
Unclenick
Staff

That sounds right. Officially, the two flash hole sizes are 2 mm and 1.5 mm. Those numbers convert to 0.0787" and 0.0591". U.S. makes are rounded to the nearest whole thousandth. A 0.057" pin should slide through the 1.5 mm flash hole just fine.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old May 22, 2019, 12:29 PM   #8
hounddawg

yep .308 the .057 pin, I like the MA anodized ones just for the purty colors and they seem to be unbreakable

here is a link for the Redding small pins if you like to depin and size in one step

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Redding-Spe...frcectupt=true