The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old April 5, 2019, 10:31 PM   #26
zeke

Maybe repeatedly fired/reloaded from 357 maximum? Or what ever they used to call it.
Old April 6, 2019, 12:16 AM   #27
Sevens

Quote:
Both are straight wall (non-bottle-necked).
Non-bottle-necked, okay. Straight wall --not! The .30 Carbine is tapered, very much so, and anyone that has spent time sizing .30 Carbine brass won't forget it, and wouldn't mistake the work involved with sizing .357 Mag brass.

.351 Win SL is "as much" or more like either round than either case is like each other!

As for "what kind of gun did this?!", cross a Coonan off your list. The Coonan can lose your .357 Magnum brass as well as any semi-auto can lose brass, but it absolutely doesn't damage it. And I've run plenty of .38 brass at .357 Magnum levels, so it's not a 'length of chamber' issue either.

FWIW, my Ruger 77/357 bolt action rifle is also kind to my brass and doesn't bork it like what is shown in the picture.

I don't know anything about lever guns except that I'm unlikely to ever own (another) one.
Old April 6, 2019, 03:24 AM   #28
44 AMP
Staff

Quote:
The Coonan can lose your .357 Magnum brass as well as any semi-auto can lose brass, but it absolutely doesn't damage it.
Brass works fine in the Coonan (and Desert Eagle). DO NOT USE "BLAZER" ALUMINIUM cases in those guns.
Old April 6, 2019, 12:12 PM   #29
buck460XVR

Quote:
Originally Posted by totaldla View Post
I'm wondering what a guy could've done to stretch the frame on a 357 Mag levergun enough to produce that.
Has nuttin' to do with the frame. In .357 lever guns, the bolt locks at the rear, allowing it to flex a bit when shot with heavy loads, thus stretching the case. Speer recommends only using virgin or once fired brass when loading heavy loads for use in levers because of this.
Old April 30, 2019, 12:44 PM   #30
TRX

If they've been through a Coonan or Desert Eagle there'll be an extractor mark somewhere on the rim. And I think someone makes an autoloading carbine in .357 now.

I'd bet my quatloos on a levergun, though.