The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 21, 2009, 01:37 AM   #1
enfield777

I reload 303.british I found some strange casings.

The casings are what look like steel im sure they are new or damn close to it.
So are there casings made of steel a guy can reload or is it a coat of something around the brass for looks??
Old December 21, 2009, 02:32 AM   #2
moose fat

Try a magnet to see if the cases are steel. I don't know about reloading steel. I think it would be awfully hard to remove a stuck case in a die if it got stuck.

Ask this question on the C&R Forum and or PM tikirocker. He is a mod on some other C&R Forums, specifically Enfields.

Here is a link that may help:

http://www.303british.com/
Old December 21, 2009, 02:39 AM   #3
troy_mclure

wolf makes alot of steel cased rounds. as far as im aware they are NOT reloadable.
There is only one tactical principle which is not subject to change. It is to use the means at hand to inflict the maximum amount of wound, death, and destruction on the enemy in the minimum amount of time."
Old December 21, 2009, 07:26 AM   #4
SwampYankee
Registration in progress

I've never seen .303 in steel but if it is, it cannot be reloaded. If you do, there is a good chance you'll damage your dies. As thin as the steel may be, it's a lot harder than brass. I'm also not sure about it's elasticity. I don't think it work hardens a fast as brass but I don't think it's as elastic to begin with. I used to do a lot of metal work so I should know but my I can't remember.
Old December 21, 2009, 07:33 AM   #5
Uncle Buck

There is a video on you tube of some guy reloading steel casings. He lists a couple of problems doing it, but it can be done.

I just reuse my brass and figure the crap I would have to put up with if I tried to reload steel casings is not worth it. I had a friend who said he reloaded some .223 brass and it actually started to rust on him.

Even if the steel casings are free, I do not think I would bother to mess with it. It is much harder to work when compared to brass casings.

I take the steel cases and toss them into the recycling bin when they accidentally get mixed in with the other range brass we pick up.