The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 20, 2009, 10:44 PM   #1
Plaz

Cast bullets diameters

Question #1: If a 45ACP bullet has a .451 diameter and a cast 45ACP bullet is ,452 does sizing the lead bullet with a star luber sizer size the bullet to .451?

Question #2: Why do some people say that after casting a bullet with a Lee mould there is no need to size those bullets?
Old December 21, 2009, 08:53 AM   #2
Nate1778

Quote:
Question #1: If a 45ACP bullet has a .451 diameter and a cast 45ACP bullet is ,452 does sizing the lead bullet with a star luber sizer size the bullet to .451?

If your bore is .451 than you want a bullet that is going to be .452. I am not familiar with the sizer and what it kicks out, but if your throwing .452 than just lube them and load. If your bore is .450 then the .452 should still work. Load one and see if it chambers.

Quote:
Question #2: Why do some people say that after casting a bullet with a Lee mould there is no need to size those bullets?

What they are referring to is the Lee Tumble Lube bullet. Its a bullet that does not have a grease ring but multiple ribs for Liquid Alox to rest in. The reason the bullet does not need to be sized is those ribs are are thin and sized in the barrel. I use one in my 9mm and it does in fact need to be sized to chamber in my gun. Here are the two different bullets.

Normal bullet:

Tumble lubed:
Old December 21, 2009, 10:43 AM   #3
Cloudpeak

I'm assuming you're casting your own bullets? If so----

I put all my cast bullets through a Lee push through sizer (around $13.00). Every once-in-awhile, a bit of lead, sticky alignment pins, "lazy hands", etc. will not allow the mold halves to completely close and you'll have over-sized bullets. This can affect feeding reliability (fat bullet chambering problem) and will raise pressures. So, for uniformity, I put every bullet through the sizer.
Old December 21, 2009, 03:56 PM   #4
putteral

Me Too!
Old December 21, 2009, 05:33 PM   #5
Unclenick
Staff

The Star sizer, like any other, has sizing dies. You choose the diameter you want your bullet sized to by getting a die that size. IME, Revolvers and lever guns tend to do better with bullets 0.002" over groove diameter, while self-loading handguns and bolt rifles seem to like 0.001" over groove diameter. Slugging your bore to measure your gun's groove diameter is a good idea, so you are working with good information when you make your choices.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 21, 2009, 05:39 PM   #6
DiscoRacing

I size all mine... specially with autos... some of the chamber tolerances are tight....dont take much of an oversized diameter bullet to make it where the slide wont close all the way