The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 22, 2011, 10:17 PM   #26
c.robertson

I have been metallic reloading since 1965 and have had only two (2) stuck cases, .223, and they were the result of that worthless spray on lube. I just did not get them sprayed correctly. And both incidents were in 2009. I use RCBS lube, squirt a dab on the left hand, rub hands coating both palms, and rolling brass between. I do this on all cases requiring lubrication to size. I have NEVER had a stuck case with this system. I load .223 to .45-90, never use inside case neck lube on bottle necked cases.

Consercatively I load AT LEAST 10,000 rounds a year. And it is all for my own use. Love making holes in paper, enjoying the blast & recoil and reloading.
Do not hunt.
Old February 22, 2011, 11:52 PM   #27
Incognito

Although I haven't been reloading anywhere near as long as c.robertson, I would have to agree on the RCBS case lube. I use the pad technique and have yet to experience a stuck case.
Old February 23, 2011, 12:27 AM   #28
Hog Buster

I’ve only had one case stuck in a die. It was many years ago and it was using Lyman dies in an old Lyman press. I’m sure the reason was lack of lube. At that time lube pads were the only way to go, what a mess.

This said and after many years of reloading I have a theory about stuck cases. First, lack of proper lubing will stick a case in any press but..........., some presses are more prone to sticking cases than others.

Those presses which have a single ram that has a bit of sideways slop in it are more prone to stick cases than those that don’t. The case is pushed into the die, but upon pulling it out the press ram flexes to one side or the other, due to the slop, and helps to bind the case in the die, thereby causing it to stick. Much as a bushing does over a shaft with a very small tolerance. If it goes straight in and is pulled straight out, no problem. Cock it a bit and you can’t get it to fit. Combine the above with a bit of flex in a turret and you compound the problem....( And yeah, we’re still talking about reloading )

While this is only a theory on my part It’s seems to hold a bit of water. Presses like the old Bonanza or Forster Co-ax that have guide rails and not a single ram or turret seem to suffer stuck cases much less than others. The case goes in the die exactly straight and is retrieved in the same manner.

How much play in a press ram and/or turret before this happens? Who knows for sure, but over the years I’ve noticed this enough times for it to be plausible at least.
Old February 23, 2011, 01:05 AM   #29
Bamashooter

I have never had a stuck case when using rcbs case lube and the trusty ole pad. I dont know if spray on lube works better becouse I have never used it. When I lube my brass I do it one at a time on the pad. There has been a couple times when I forgot to lube and could tell the diffrence when I started to resize and stopped.
Old February 23, 2011, 05:29 PM   #30
Hog Buster

I rolled them on a lube pad for many years, about a year or so ago I tried Dillon Spray Lube (Lanolin and Alcohol). Dumped the empties in a cardboard box, sprayed a couple of squirts of Dillon’s on them, shook them around a bit and repeated the spray. It worked like a champ. The cases may have even sized easier than those rolled on the lube pad. Been using it ever since, easy, no fuss, no mess.