The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old February 21, 2011, 03:13 PM   #1
jeepster11

44 mag and titegroup question

Well I just got my press set up for 44 mag and I checked 3 manuals for 200 grain hollow points and tite group I'm surprised I haven't used titegroup before but the manuals only call for 9.7 and 10.8 grains. Doesn't fill up much of the case. Is this right is tite group that powerfull? That it only takes so little.
Old February 21, 2011, 03:23 PM   #2
COSteve

TiteGroup is a very hot powder designed for low to mid-range loads, not max loads. Yes, a max charge of TiteGroup is not much powder. In all honesty, it's a poor choice for a 44 mag load as even at max charge, it doesn't produce very high velocities. Also, it can be spikey at max charge amounts.

“Remember, no matter where you go, there you are.” - Confucius
"When you find a find a big kettle of crazy, it's best not to stir it." - Dilbert
Old February 21, 2011, 03:28 PM   #3
DiscoRacing

If you look on a container for Titegroup powder it says

A LOW CHARGE WIEGHT POWDER
A LITTLE GOES A LONG WAY

thats how it was designed..
..and i use it for three 44s with good results.
Old February 21, 2011, 04:07 PM   #4
jeepster11

yes

i appreciate your info i was just wondering. as long as they work and shoot great i dont care if their max loads i loaded the minimum anyways to start out and see what kind of results i get.
Old February 21, 2011, 04:12 PM   #5
Don P

Good stuff that Titegroup is. I use it on my 38 spl, 357 mag, 9mm, 40 S&W, and 45 acp
As you are, I once was, As I am, You will be.
Old February 21, 2011, 04:55 PM   #6
mavracer

Quote:
as long as they work and shoot great i dont care if their max loads
works great til it doesn't
http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=441686
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old February 21, 2011, 08:44 PM   #7
jeepster11

that sucks

i wonder if it was the max load he was doing caused the blow up or something else? i definitly am not going to load near the max on any load i use.
Old February 21, 2011, 08:52 PM   #8
Bernieb90

I have used quite abit of Titegroup with 240gr plated bullets in my 7-1/2" Redhawk. I use a medium load, and try to be very carefull not to exceed max even though the gun is very strong.

Titegroup is a fast burning powder so a little goes a long way. Pressure builds very quickly so small overchargesd can lead to big pressure spikes.

I think there are better powders out there for target loads in large cases. I actually find Universal (NOT CLAYS) to be a bit bulkier, and more forgiving than Titegroup in bigger cases.
Old February 21, 2011, 09:01 PM   #9
Doodlebugger45

I have used Tite Group and cast bullets for some of my plinking loads in .44 mag before, but I kinda got away from it for whatever reason. I just like True Blue or Universal a bit better for that round, even for the lower power loads. I used to use a whole lot of Tite Group and it has some very useful applications. But I just got to where I found better combos.
Old February 21, 2011, 11:36 PM   #10
mavracer

8 to 10 gr of good old unique has been working for like 50 years. It's very forgiving and kinda bulky (no room for doubley and it's a buck a pound cheaper than most others
My handguns are are for one purpose only, though...
The starter gun on the "Fat man's mad dash tactical retreat."
Old February 21, 2011, 11:51 PM   #11
Sport45

The real problem with fast powders (except Trail Boss) in magnum cartridges is that a double charge can be hard to spot. That, and the lower performance because the peak pressure hits too quick and doesn't last long resulting in lower velocities. I don't like to use anything slower than Unique in my magnum loadings.

I have used Titegroup for cast plinking loads in rifle cartridges. But I weighed every charge into a case that was previously upside down in the loading block and it went straight to bullet seating. (For the loads I was using a double wouldn't hurt anyway.)
Old February 22, 2011, 11:39 AM   #12
BigJimP

I use TiteGroup in all my handgun calibers from 9mm, .40S&W, .45 acp, .38 spl, .357 mag and .44 mag .....

Its a very good powder / even in large volume cases - because it was designed to perform even when you have a lot of room left over in the case in a .44 mag.

It meters well / shoots pretty clean ...

The downside - is you do have to be careful with it / so you don't double charge a case. Personally, I have a press with a "powder check die" so it gives me increased security ...and if you don't have a powder check / powder cop ....maybe you ought to consider a different powder.

I have five .44 mag revolvers ( S&W model 29's and 629's ...) and I've used TiteGroup and Montana Gold bullets in them for many years....with no issues.
Old February 22, 2011, 11:56 AM   #13
madmo44mag

I've been shooting the 44mag for over 30 years and have tried all kinds of powders in the 44.
The old tried and true Alliant 2400 is the best choice IMHO.
It fills the case well, has great velocities, clean, and does not require mag primers.
18gr with a 240 bullet is a solid load and not even top end.
Keep in mind that this is a large straight wall case and if you don't have enough powder to fill the case good then you will get spotty ignition.