The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old December 15, 2009, 06:45 PM   #26
whipper

Try some Flitz in with your tumbling media. It makes your brass shine in half the time
www.flitz.com
Old December 17, 2009, 01:33 AM   #27

what does ammonia do to brass?

I was looking at brasso in a store tonight and saw it had ammonia listed so i left it there. (remembering that someone in here said it was bad) so, i'm wondering why is it bad and if it is, why would it be in brasso and many other brands of cleaners and polishers sold for brass? I found this stuff called nevr-dull, no ammonia listed, it works great on the outsides of cases. Anyone ever try it?
Old December 17, 2009, 02:33 AM   #28
Sport45

Quote:
i'm wondering why is it bad and if it is, why would it be in brasso and many other brands of cleaners and polishers sold for brass?
Ammonia is in so many brass polishes because it makes polishing brass much faster and easier by etching the surface. Of course, most brassware you see in the kitchen doesn't ever have to contain upwards of 60,000psi. So they don't worry about effects the cleaner my have on the mechanical properties such as brittleness. Same goes for brass trim on boats or stair railings.

I don't look for my brass to come out shiny. Clean is enough for me. The OP asked about the insides and about all I look for there is no loose stuff inside.

Last edited by Sport45; December 17, 2009 at 08:28 PM.
Old December 18, 2009, 02:55 PM   #29
Unclenick
Staff

The problem is what was originally called season cracking, from the fact British colonial troops in India observed that case necks on loaded cartridges would crack during the monsoon season. The cause was traced to ammonia fumes in the air from composting animal manure, which increases at that time. This is because composting matter gets "hot" and makes ammonia in the presence of air and moisture.

Since season cracking is a form of stress cracking, and since the most constant stress in a cartridge is the neck tension on the bullet (where the cracks appeared), the solution to the problem was case neck annealing. The concern with reloads is the brass work hardens with reuse, making it potentially vulnerable to weakening by ammonia exposure again.

There are plenty of fellows using Brasso who claim they've never seen a problem. That is possible. Season cracking tends to happen in cases that have been loaded for awhile, and if your loading and shooting cycle is short, you might not experience any issue. I would expect, if anything is to be observed, it would show up first as premature neck splitting in roll-crimped cartridges.

Personally, I don't see any benefit from using an ammoniated cleaner that justifies potentially shortening the life of some brass or making it more vulnerable to splitting in any way. Normal polishes work fine, if less aggressively.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle
Old December 18, 2009, 05:23 PM   #30
5R milspec

stainless steel for cleanng brass

hey if ya'll are still interested in the stainlees steel stuff you can fine it at sniperhide.com.there is a gent their that uses it and has pics to show just how good it works.and the pics show the brass looking new inside and out.
Old December 20, 2009, 09:06 PM   #31
ShootUmUp

how about primer pockets?

I see that a lot of folks are ok with clean out side and kinda clean inside, but how about the primer pockets? Just clean if the crud is real bad? That's kind of what I do.
Old December 21, 2009, 01:57 PM   #32
Unclenick
Staff

That's mostly what people do. Especially on progressive presses, where no opportunity exists to clean primer pockets unless you size separately. Then when the crud builds to the point the primers no longer seat below flush with the case heads (a major cause of slam fires in military gas guns) they then have to do a separate size and clean session.

This may have unfortunate consequences for barrel life. See Humpy's post #25 in this thread on the Shooter's Forum.
NRA Benefactor Member and Golden Eagle