The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 21, 2017, 01:53 PM   #1
rt11002003

M&P Shield .45ACP

The Shield is not my ideal pistol. However, I wanted something with a little more knock down power for a new carry gun. Decided to try the Shield in .45ACP.

Boy! Was I surprised? It has amazing recoil control and is accurate beyond belief. I've had it to the range three times. Everytime it seems better.

My last string of shots, before leaving yesterday's session, was with the Shield. At 7 yards, 13 out of 13 rounds found their way into a five inch target.

It's a keeper!
Old January 21, 2017, 05:27 PM   #2
Technosavant

It's a nice little gun. My father bought one and I got to compare it directly to my XDS .45 (he saw my XDS, wanted something similar, and got a great deal on the Smith).

I think I prefer my XDS, but the Smith is a great little shooter too (and it holds one more round and does it all at a lower price). Quite the nice little gun, that Shield.
Old January 21, 2017, 08:35 PM   #3
DMK

The Shield has amazing ergonomics. A lot of reviewers say these gun shoot like larger guns than they actually are. I agree with this.

I have two of them, one in 9mm and one in 45acp. Shooting them back to back, the nine is unsurprisingly easier to shoot and I will continue to carry it as my EDC, but the 45 impressed me. For such a small gun it is easy to shoot accurately with all the 230gr ammo I've tried so far.

I've also noticed that with my examples, the 45 Shield has better trigger feel.

S&W really did a nice job with these guns.
Old January 22, 2017, 11:00 AM   #4
Rogervzv

I agree. I have the Shield 9mm as one of my carry guns. It is a lot of fun to shoot at the range. At 8.5 yards I get very tight groups with it.
Old January 23, 2017, 02:12 PM   #5
rt11002003

I forget to mention, the 13 round group was shot single handed. And, the time before, I was shooting a new STI Edge .45ACP and the Shield.

I can't claim the Shield shoots softer than the Edge, but it shoots softer than several 9mm guns I shot, including a Kimber SOLO.
Old January 23, 2017, 02:34 PM   #6
KennyFSU

I love my Shield, S&W nailed it with this one.

-Boris the Blade, on guns.