The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old March 4, 2014, 07:43 PM   #1
Shooke

new to forum

Been reading posts for a week now and the info ive gotten from this forum has been great. Couple observations and tell me if im on right track. Im going to go with a rock chucker feel i need to be proficient before i try and mass produce. Powder seems to be the hardest componet to find ill be loading mainly 9mm,40cal,38spl so maybe w-231,hp38,power pistol,and a couple others all will be fine to get started and develop my load based on what i can get. I have been to hornaday,alliant,and accurate online data sites how much faith do yall put in these #s start light and go from there. I did notice there if the type of bullet your using isnt listed how do you get a starting point. Manuals or books any recomendations there? I got plenty of brass from the range most was my factory loads i saved wich from what ive read shood be fine. I keep reading every night to try and gather as much info,tips from this forum any sugestions will be apreciated. By the way my spelling sucks without spell check.

Speak softly and carry a big stick!
Old March 4, 2014, 08:01 PM   #2
Nick_C_S

I've been waiting for almost a year now for my LGS to get in some W231/HP38 (the same powder, in case you didn't know). Good luck.

Right now, pistol powders are hard to get. Hopefully, they will become more available this spring. That's when the manufacturers turn their production to the pistol stuff.
Old March 4, 2014, 08:19 PM   #3
Jim243

Quote:
I did notice there if the type of bullet your using isnt listed how do you get a starting point.
Most weight/type bullets are about the same. Loading for the weight of the bullet/type is easy 124 grain JHP and FMJ take the same weight of powder, BUT.............. the OAL's are different, there is where you need to be careful.

I for the most part I use the manual of the bullet I am using Hornady for Hornady bullets, Speer for Speer bullets (makes life simple). But there are many bullets who do not have reloading books out on them, them I use Lyman's 49th edition which covers most generic bullet types for a starting point and work up from there.

Jim

Sorry, welcome to TFL.
Old March 4, 2014, 08:51 PM   #4
Forrest68

Wow, Nick thats terrible, another reason I'm never leaven Pa, I have 5 pounds of HP-38 and more than likely coudl got pick up a couple pounds tomorrow at my lgs. I picked up a pound of auto comp the other day, but haven't tried it out yet heard good things from a few guys at the club.
Old March 4, 2014, 10:03 PM   #5
Nick_C_S

Yeah Forrest68, the last time I saw 231 at my LGS was about a year ago - maybe a little longer - time flies by. And when they had it, they had both 231 and HP38. I took a moment to check the lot numbers, just for fun, and they were the exact same - proving to me that they are indeed the same powder.

But I digress. . .

After checking the lot numbers, knowing that I was sitting on close to 3 Lbs of 231, I chose not to purchase any. This was just before I realized how serious the shortages were becoming. Big mistake. Big big mistake. I now have just a smidge over a pound, and am rationing it solely for 45 ACP work (barring a rare exception here n there). I've moved to creating a bunch of recipes with AA2 and Bullseye as substitutes. (AA2 and Bullseye are fine powders - don't get me wrong.)

To the original poster (OP): Welcome to TFL. We're glad to have you. Sorry I hijacked your post there - droning on about my plight with Winchester 231. But in a way, it's pertinent, because it illustrates the kind of environment we're current in - and have been for well over a year now - with reloading components. It's been a challenge.
Old March 5, 2014, 06:29 AM   #6
Shooke

No problem nick, see I learned something again. Going to need manuals for the bullets I use, secondly buy powder for a year. Boy I thought I would start reloading because ammo is not available when you want it. Crap neither is reloading supplies.
Old March 5, 2014, 07:31 PM   #7
Forrest68

Yes, Welcome aboard Shooke. It can be difficult ya need to look roudn find all teh little gun shops and check out what they have and there prices. when ya find a deal grab it and as much as you can afford or as much as they will allow you to buy. Good luck and enjoy the ride.
Old March 5, 2014, 08:10 PM   #8
ghbucky01

Welcome Shooke.

I'm pretty dang green here myself. I started in on this for the exact reasons you are, which is the expense of ammo. I thought the shortage was starting to ease up on .45 ACP, but I was at a store that had literally pallets of it a few weeks ago and they are down to defensive ammo with some slim pickings of target stuff.

I got my hands on some 800x and SR 4756. I understand that neither of them are ideal for my round, but I'm just happy to be able to load something right now.

I'd love to get my hands on some Bullseye or W231. Sounds like you are doing pistol?

At least primers seem to be readily available now.

[edit] yeah, you did say pistol calibers.
Old March 5, 2014, 08:57 PM   #9
Gadawg88

Check http://www.gunbot.net/ multiple times per day and hope to get lucky. As soon as you see something you need, don't wait, jump on it ASAP.
Old March 5, 2014, 11:58 PM   #10
Shooke

ghbucky Yep im going to reload mostly 9mm&40. Currently trying to see what shops in my area carry powder,primers,bullets so far most dont. There is a shop in Va.Beach who might have some trying to get there this weekend. Hope to be up and running within the month. Big swap meet at the club this weekend to maybe ill get lucky. Got a lot of info from your thread thx.
Old March 17, 2014, 06:34 AM   #11
Shooke

Still no powder . Ive called every shop within a hundred mile radius. When I do finally get some im buying twice as much 16lbs at least.
Old March 18, 2014, 08:22 AM   #12
mnoirot64

Welcome from Tennessee. This is a great forum. I've learned a lot on here.
Old March 18, 2014, 08:48 AM   #13
David Bachelder

The RockChucker is a great place to start. Not only a good start but the RC will always have a place on your bench. Even if you go progressive the RC will always be able to do jobs the progressives wont.

You most likely will own and use it the rest of your life, not to mention your kids lives and your kids, kids lives. The RC will last several lifetimes.