The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: General Handgun Forum

Old April 11, 2013, 08:51 PM   #1
papadork

Keep handgun in car

Is it ok to leave a loaded handgun in my car even on a hot summer day?
Old April 11, 2013, 08:55 PM   #2
arizona98tj

I wouldn't....but then, I wouldn't leave it in a car on a cold day either. IMO, a vehicle is not a secure place to leave a firearm. No doubt others will disagree.
Old April 11, 2013, 09:25 PM   #3
Bob Wright

Not a good idea. Cars are too easily broken into or stolen.

But the heat won't affect your gun, if that's your main concern.

Bob Wright
Old April 11, 2013, 10:05 PM   #4
Jkady

My gun is going to have hard time doing it's job if it's locked in my car...

Will the heat effect it? No. That doesn't mean it's a good idea to leave it there if you have any other choice.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:48 PM   #5
Old Grump
Member in memoriam

Takes 290 degrees to start cooking off 38 spcl ammo and you will have other problems with your car long before you get to that temp. Like others stated heat or cold is not the problem, security is unless you have a car safe.
Good intentions will always be pleaded for any assumption of power. The Constitution was made to guard the people against the dangers of good intentions. There are men in all ages who mean to govern will, but they mean to govern. They promise to be good masters, but they mean to be masters.
--Daniel Webster--
Old April 11, 2013, 11:51 PM   #6
Water-Man

Yes. The heat won't bother it.
Old April 11, 2013, 11:54 PM   #7
Doc Intrepid

If you intend to do this, look into something like one of these...

www.consolevault.com
Old April 12, 2013, 01:14 AM   #8
Buzzcook

Moisture is what you have to worry about. Cars can be humid environments. Depending on your location you could see rust develop in short order.
Old April 12, 2013, 06:08 AM   #9
JimmyR

First off, check the legal requirements of your state. AFAIK, no states have mandated any locking mechanism for car storage, but that don't mean squat.

Personally, I leave my gun in my car when I go to work (a psych hospital- guns are kinda frowned on ) or when I am entering a GFZ. I carry the gun out to my car when I get in the car to leave for work, and I take it inside when I get home. Personally, I try not to leave a gun in my car longer than my work day, since I can't control who has access to it if my car gets stolen.
Old April 12, 2013, 07:02 AM   #10
carguychris

Another potential consideration is that the federal GFSZA only exempts LEOs and persons with a state firearms license or permit, and then only within the state that issued it. State laws allowing accessible, loaded, no-CHL vehicular carry are meaningless so far as the GFSZA is concerned.
Old April 12, 2013, 07:10 AM   #11
carguychris

One other thing...

Quote:
AFAIK, no states have mandated any locking mechanism for car storage, but that don't mean squat.
Agreed. AFAIK every American jurisdiction has some sort of "catch-all" law allowing prosecution for non-specific stupid and dangerous acts- typically termed "reckless endangerment." Inadvertently leaving a loaded firearm in an unlocked glove compartment with the passenger-side window open would probably qualify. Mistakes happen.

I prefer to avoid the risk by never leaving a loaded firearm in a vehicle. If I leave the firearm, the magazines and ammo go with me. There is usually no prohibition against taking magazines into schools, post offices, or hospitals.
Old April 12, 2013, 07:33 AM   #12
Kreyzhorse

The heat will not cause any harm to either the gun or ammo.
Old April 12, 2013, 07:35 AM   #13
kraigwy

Quote:
AFAIK, no states have mandated any locking mechanism for car storage, but that don't mean squat.
The feds has such a mandate. The Safe School Act which says if you take your pistol/revolver on a school grounds it must me unloaded and locked in some sort of container.

For example when I attend my granddaughters volleyball or basketball games I lock my 642 unloaded in the blue box it comes in.

Other then that I don't lock my handguns in a vehicle.

Use too, or should I say had too. Way back when. I was in LE and on call for our bomb squad. We went to a dinner party. Took my patrol car but used the "wife carry" meaning my gun was in my wife's purse.

Sure enough, got a call out. My assistance was requested on a drug raid where the bad guys were suspected of booby trapped their set up.

Of course I didn't take the wife, nor her purse with my revolver. So here I am heading for a drug raid with possible armed bad guys, not to mention possible booby traps AND NO GUN.

At the time I was also shooting for the guard and always had a bunch of shooting stuff in the trunk so I pull over and start looking, hoping to find a gun. I did, I found my Model 18 and two "22 shells",

Turned out I didn't need it, but it scared me. After that I put a revolver in my glove compartment and kept there until I retired.

But now, I have my gun in my pocket and see no reason to leave one in the truck unless as mentioned above, The Safe School Act.
Distinguished Rifle Badge 1071
Old April 12, 2013, 08:02 AM   #14
reloader28

I always have a pistol in the glove box of the car.
The pick-up has one in the door (and usually some kinda rifle and/or shotgun).
It dont matter if we're at work, in town or its just setting in the driveway.

I ALWAYS have a pistol on me. So no matter what, when I go somewhere I have at least 2 guns at my disposal.
Old April 12, 2013, 08:21 AM   #15
papadork

Quote:
Personally, I leave my gun in my car when I go to work (a psych hospital- guns are kinda frowned on ) or when I am entering a GFZ. I carry the gun out to my car when I get in the car to leave for work, and I take it inside when I get home. Personally, I try not to leave a gun in my car longer than my work day, since I can't control who has access to it if my car gets stolen.
This is my strategy as well. I can't take my little monster in the workplace with me. I'm just concerned that .40 caliber slugs will start popping off in the parking lot on a hot August afternoon. I will take it in the house with me when I get home.
Old April 12, 2013, 01:37 PM   #16
Cesure

Quote:
I'm just concerned that .40 caliber slugs will start popping off in the parking lot on a hot August afternoon.
If that starts happening, call the fire department, because it means your car is on fire.

Ammo is just not that unstable.
Old April 12, 2013, 01:39 PM   #17
kilimanjaro

At least lock it up in the trunk if you have to leave it for work.
Old April 12, 2013, 02:05 PM   #18
Evan Thomas

If you park somewhere that's generally visible and doesn't have good security, don't just get out of the car with the gun, open the trunk, and put the gun inside. Thieves aren't stupid; if they see someone do that, they now know that there's something in the trunk that's worth stealing. Same goes for being obvious about putting something under the seat, etc.

Look into some sort of lockbox that can be secured to something like a seat post, and discreetly put out of sight.
Old April 12, 2013, 02:42 PM   #19
TeamTurpin

That's what I have. I have a small, "personal" safe that holds my Nano perfectly. It has a cable that's attached to a seat bracket, yet I can get to it quickly if needed. When I'm running around, the Nano lives in my console. But overnight or when parked for a while, the gun goes in the little safe. That safe/cable would not stop a determined thief, but it would prevent a gun loss during your average smash and grab.
Old April 12, 2013, 07:24 PM   #20
BigD_in_FL

Leave a gun in my door map pocket all the time - it is NOT visible, and there is never an issue as I lock my car even at the gas station if I need to go inside. Most of these folks' paranoia about their car being broken into because they have a hidden gun inside is WAY overblown. If you leave your gun on the dashboard or on the seat - that is something different and you deserve the idiot of the week award. If you are a normal gun owner that takes reasonable precautions, then don't worry
Old April 12, 2013, 09:13 PM   #21
bamaranger

not a fan

I can't in good faith recommend that a handgun be "kept" in a car. Your handgun needs to be on your person. Unless you are entering a location where you can't legally carry.

People get separated from their guns, then need them. The worst example of that was the FBI Miami shoot out where two agents lost their sidearms in the preceding collsion. The weapons were loose on the seat supposedly.

Or....you bail from the car for an errand and run into trouble, and the darn gun is under the seat.
Old April 13, 2013, 05:30 AM   #22
spacecoast

Yes, it's fine, I have done it for years (center console). Use nickel cased ammo though, brass will corrode and turn green in a hot and humid car. Been there, done that.

Last edited by spacecoast; April 13, 2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old April 13, 2013, 06:05 AM   #23
ejfalvo

I believe the OP was interested in the weather impact of leaving a firearm in the car, but if you do, please lock it up securely. I keep my Sig P220 in my car when I cant carry it with a Gunvault clamshell type safe screwed to the trunk floor and attached with its cable to the frame. Its not going anywhere. Cheap insurance against theft.
Old April 13, 2013, 08:47 AM   #24
papadork

Sounds like the hot car is not going to be a problem. Thanks.
Old April 18, 2013, 04:55 PM   #25
imthegrumpyone

The solution is the right to carry where ever, when ever and or just do it.