The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Lock and Load: Live Fire Exercises

Old March 11, 2009, 02:09 PM   #1
Wallabing

Idiot creates close call on range today

While I was on the range today, I was setting down my case to unpack my gun, until I heard frantic yelling all around me. I looked down the range and I

SAW A GUY WALKING DOWN THE RANGE WHILE THERE WAS LIVE FIRE

I stood there awestruck while stood there. There was a ceasefire for around 20 minutes after that incident, and to my suprise the guy just was joking and laughing around with his group of buddies like it was nothing afterwards with no ear or eye protection on the range.

*Face palm*
Old March 11, 2009, 03:01 PM   #2
dmickey

Yep! Some people don't have the sense that they were born with. :barf:
Old March 11, 2009, 03:22 PM   #3
Brian Pfleuger
Moderator Emeritus

It's fairly amazing that he was allowed to stay there to joke with his friends.
Old March 11, 2009, 03:27 PM   #4
rantingredneck

My thought too. Why didn't the RO or owner kick him off the range?

PCCA Member (What's PCCA you ask? <- Check the link)
Old March 11, 2009, 07:48 PM   #5
grymster2007

He would be shown the door (gate) on the range I favor. They might even ban him for life. What an idiot!
Old March 11, 2009, 07:50 PM   #6
TEDDY

safty

safty is every bodys responsiblity!!!!!I have been on range and saw a safty violation and had a talk with the person.It was settled right then.If the person had given me a hard time I would walk away and call police.
Old March 11, 2009, 07:52 PM   #7
gregjc9

This is why I've been going to the NRA range as of late. Dont have to worry about that kind of garbage. They dont put up with stuff like that.
Old March 11, 2009, 07:53 PM   #8
TEDDY

safty

as an add on there is to much "combat" style shooting,the new shooter wants to shoot fast and many why??learn to shoot acuratly then and only then move on to the next stage.
Old March 11, 2009, 07:55 PM   #9
MrNiceGuy

I hang a darwin award underneath the range rules.
Below the darwin award is a sign that reads, To be awarded to the next person who is stupid enough to break these rules"

Old March 11, 2009, 10:38 PM   #10
sdj

Perhaps a suicide attempt?
Old March 12, 2009, 12:15 AM   #11
Re4mer

That's the one thing I don't like about public ranges is that they tend to have the occasional crazy yahoo.
Old March 28, 2009, 01:37 PM   #12
scotsgun

Some people just ask for it.

I was once on a large range in the UK called Bisley. We were shooting at 600yds when a numpty from the 300yd range decided to take a short-cut to the food stall by walking right through our range - half way down!

My mate confessed to letting a round off just as he saw a dark blurr enter his scope picture.
Old March 28, 2009, 05:27 PM   #13
2amencw

safety

I had the exact same thing a few weeks back. Then the guy put 0/100 into the target but 100/100 into the dirt in front of the target. I gave a little free coaching and politely recommended a shooting class for him. He was absolutely green by his own admission. He was an eager student. He kinda ticked me off initially with his safety issues but he was willing to learn and had a good attitude. A promising shooter.

Last edited by 2amencw; March 28, 2009 at 10:34 PM. Reason: spelling
Old March 28, 2009, 11:55 PM   #14
LoneWolf22056

Quote:
I had the exact same thing a few weeks back. Then the guy put 0/100 into the target but 100/100 into the dirt in front of the target. I gave a little free coaching and politely recommended a shooting class for him. He was absolutely green by his own admission. He was an eager student. He kinda ticked me off initially with his safety issues but he was willing to learn and had a good attitude. A promising shooter.
each range has a different set of safety rules. new people can't be expected to follow everything exactly right, as they're programmed to act in the way they were previously told.

example:
At a range I visited in Geneva, the rule was "muzzle up" or downrange. At the range where I am a member, you are either pointing "muzzle down" or downrange. Which one is safer? They both have pros and cons.

Being ticked off at someone over a "safety issue" means you got way too personal. Let them know, and then let it go. There are only a few universal rules, but much of it depends on range rules and the environment.
Old March 29, 2009, 03:49 AM   #15
chemgirlie

People never cease to amaze me. I guess there's always going to be a crazy or two. If I ever committed a safety infraction I would probably be too embarrassed to ever show my face at that range again.
Old March 29, 2009, 04:14 AM   #16
Dingoboyx

Lonewolf

+100 on your post

People doing the wrong thing at your range, but is perfectly legal and correct at his home range is a fair mistake, and he/she be asked to conform to the range ruled at the range he is visiting.

But a clown doing something so stoopid as to walk on a live range...... well, as the saying goes.... You cant fix Stoopid!

That would be an instant "Get the flock out of here, and dont come back" at any range I have ever been to

I mean, what other basic safety rules would he forget to exercise?

Afraid he is an accident looking for a place to happen

Muzza
Old March 29, 2009, 07:04 AM   #17
THEZACHARIAS

Stupid people: #1 reason I keep quickclot in my first aid kit and range bag.
Old March 29, 2009, 08:05 AM   #18
2amencw

Ticked off

Hey Lone Wolf , If somebody pointed a condition one weapon at you two different times with their finger on the trigger and also constantly putting them in the dirt and the RO nowhere to be found.( If I do any rapid fire (10rnds/2 mins) practice or hit the berm too high I get stood behind by the RO) you would probably take it a little personally. Besides, the behavior of walking around with your pistol saying , "there's something wrong with this thing." and pulling the trigger. I am one of the most easy-going guys on the range. I have a pet peave about a condition 1 weapon being shoved, handed, pointed etc in my or anyone's direction. I am not a part time shooter. I have carried a CHL for over 15 yrs and competed for quite a while as well. I have no problem taking time out of my range time to help somebody else. I let people try out some of my interesting guns on a regular basis. There needs to be a minimum skills check off when you sign in a range if you havent been there before. I think you missed the point of my original post. His behavior ticked me off when it appeared to be stupidity but when it became obvious that it was an experience/ignorance of range etiquette issue it became a teacheable moment. Kinda like right now....CW
Old March 30, 2009, 01:41 AM   #19
standerson

I quit going to one particular range because of knuckleheads like that. I was shooting one day and heard a guy a couple of stalls down, shoot, swear, rack the slide, shoot, swear, rack the slide, over and over.

I stepped back to reload my mags and looked at him. He had a 1911, with his finger on the trigger, trying to rack the slide, all while pointed at me. I stepped back up into the stall and yelled for him to point the weapon down range and I'd help him with it.

The range master wanted to know what was wrong. When I told him, he just shrugged his shoulders and said "No harm, no foul, he didn't know any better"

I called him several choice names, packed up my gear and left.
Old March 30, 2009, 03:14 PM   #20
snowdog650

Moron.
Old March 30, 2009, 07:55 PM   #21
LoneWolf22056

Quote:
If I do any rapid fire (10rnds/2 mins) practice
that's rapid fire?

10 rounds... 2 min.... 120 seconds... 1 round every 12 seconds.

that's not rapid at all on a pistol range. it's not even moderately rapid on a normal rifle range either.... you must have some real range nazis where you shoot!
Old April 6, 2009, 10:04 PM   #22
2amencw

rapid fire

yes , I actually got talked to about that at this range?! can you believe that?
Old April 6, 2009, 10:11 PM   #23
SigSauerIsBetter

1 round every 12 seconds is silly. Find a new range or at least one with a qualified RSO. I practice double and triple taps. How would that work on that range? LOL!

Favorite posting is the guy muzzling himself because he forgot ear-pro, while rocking an ATF hat. Life is good.
Old April 6, 2009, 10:31 PM   #24
trigger happy

try a shooting range in Alabama or Mississippi, you would be amazed at all the things you may see. One time I saw a guy shoot himself in the leg with a Ruger Mark 2 loaded with hollowpoints
Old April 8, 2009, 06:59 PM   #25
Hellbilly5000

reds here in austin is like that you cant rapid fire you cant quick draw and fire
then again they had a comleate failer of a person get stupid there the other day

From what I heard they had a young lady come in pay to take to shooting lessons rented a gun bought ammo took the shooting course. When the instructor turned around she put the gun to her head pulled the trigger and missed. she did manage to take off a piece of her scalp and give herself a haircut. (im still trying to figure out how she missed)