The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old February 21, 2006, 10:29 PM   #1
dsmaruska

Scope Question

Last weekend I mounted a Bushnell 1.75-5x32 shotgun / blackpowder scope on a TC Black Diamond .50 caliber using a two piece Weaver base and Leupold QRW rings. When I look through the scope on low power I see part of the barrel in the lower portion of the sight picture. As the power is increased the amount of barrel in the view decreases, but I can still see the muzzle. The barrel blocks a significant portion of the view, especially with the scope set on a low power.

Also last weekend I mounted the exact same make and model scope on a Remington 20 gauge 870 using a B-Square saddle base and B-Square rings. Same results.

The only constant is both firearms have the same scope. All the screws are tight, scope alignment in the rings is good and scopes are bore sighted. The firearms have not been to the range yet.

Has anyone had a similar experience? What gives?
Old February 21, 2006, 10:47 PM   #2
scottys1

I have a Leupold Vari-X II 1-4x20 mounted on a Mini-14 ranch rifle in the standard Ruger mounts.

I can see the barrel in the scope until I dial the scope up to about 2.5-3x or higher. Even at 1x the barrel never comes close to the center of the scope, but then my barrel is much shorter than yours. After some use including a 3-gun match, I find I don't even see the barrel any more. I'm sure this would be different if the barrel obscured more of the field of view.
Old February 21, 2006, 11:52 PM   #3
onlybrowning

It is because of the large field of view on low power. When you increase the magnifiication, you decrease the FOV. It is the nature of the beast. I would say mount the scope on higher bases, but that will make your shooting form deteriorate. It is good that you see the barrel, means you bought a scope with a good FOV. It takes some getting used to, but in the heat of the moment you won't notice it. I have a Winchester Apex stainless with a Leupold 1-4x20 that shows the front sight in the middle of the crosshairs. Weird, but ok.
Old March 23, 2006, 01:13 PM   #4
aminyard

Rings

Buy and install a set of "high" rings. Problem solved.

Al
Old March 23, 2006, 02:35 PM   #5
cntryboy1289

it's not a problem

Like the others have said, it is just the nature of the beast when using a low power setting on the scope. It's like that on most of the ones I mount on black powder rifles and shotguns. You won't notice it if you dial it up slightly.
Old March 27, 2006, 01:32 AM   #6
Ruger4570

I have only low power variables on all my rifles and seeing the barrel is normal at low powers. Onlybrowning's answer is the right one. High bases or rings forces you to raise your head off the stock.