The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > The Smithy

Old January 21, 2006, 11:22 PM   #1
Sam C

Trigger Bounce

What exactly does trigger bounce mean? My full size Kimber Stainless sometimes fires during recoil. It’s not just with me; I have had a few people including a couple of Police Officers shoot it and it happened to them too. This has never happened with my Kimber Compact. They are both series one guns. Is this trigger bounce and if so how do I fix it? Thanks
Old January 21, 2006, 11:54 PM   #2
DMiculek

trigger bounce

It could very well be trigger bounce (trigger moving rearward during recoil and tripping the sear), or a worn hammer/sear fit.
The fix could be as simple as adjusting the sear spring. (adding tension). Or you may need to have hammer and sear refit or replaced if they are damaged beyond repair.

To check for doubling or hammer bounce, With unloaded pistol and magazine drop the slide on an empty chamber a couple of times. If the hammer falls, you have a problem. Now drop the slide again this time holding the trigger forward, if the hammer stays put you have hammer bounce and need to increase pressure on th center "leg" of the sear spring.
Repeat above test, if hammer falls try increasing tension on the sear "leg" of the spring (left leg with the hook on the end).

Note: it is not recommended that you drop the slide on a empty chamber repeatedly as this can batter the sear and hammer fit. Since the pistol is doubling already, this is the easiest way to find what your problem is.

Or you can bring it to a competent 1911 smith.