The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Hunt

Old December 16, 2005, 01:13 PM   #1
Smokey Joe

Make a deerskin vest?

Any suggestions as to where to get plans, specs, and parts lists, for the making of deerskin vests for children?

I have several nieces, nephews, godchildren, etc, etc, that I think would like one.

I have a number of tanned deer hides saved up.

Thx in advance for the help.

--Smokey Joe
Old December 16, 2005, 01:54 PM   #2
DimitriS

I dont know exactly where you'd go to get them for deer skin but you can pick up templates and the like for making clothing at walmart in the Arts and Crafts section for vests that you can atleast get the sizes right.

PS how did you tan them ??

Dimitri

(\__/)
(='.'=)This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into
(")_(")your signature to help him gain world domination.

Firing Line ID 30083
Old December 16, 2005, 01:58 PM   #3
Ian2005

Deer Vest

Wouldn't wear it out in the woods - liable to get shot by desperate hunters this late into the season!!! !!!
Old December 16, 2005, 02:29 PM   #4
Smokey Joe

Tan hides

Dimitri--I tanned the hides in a very traditional way--I rubbed money on them! Locally we have a tanner who makes a business of doing your deer hides for you. Yes, you do get yr own hide back. Does a great job; doesn't cost an arm and a leg; all you do is thoroughly salt the hide and get it to the tannery. Then pay for the work. I've read up just a little on home-tanning of hides, and it's not something I want to get into.

About patterns from Wal-Mart--aren't there considerations because you're working with leather, as opposed to fabric, that a pattern has to address?

Ian2005--Agreed. But these vests would be for little kids, 4 to maybe 7 yrs old. When my #1 son was small we bought him such a vest, and he loved it and wore it to death, took him several years. The neat thing about a vest as a present is that it fits a growing child for some years of growth, so if they like it, they can wear it for more than just 6 months or a year as would be the case with a shirt or jacket.

--Smokey Joe
Old December 16, 2005, 06:51 PM   #5
springmom

No, you would size the vests the same regardless of the fabric.

However, as quickly as kids grow, you'll want to make them a bit large so they might get two seasons' wear out of them

Springmom

home on the web:
www.panagia-icons.net (my webpage)
www.nousfromspring.blogspot.com (Orthodoxy)

"I couldn't hear you. Stop firing the gun while you're talking!" Frank Drebin, The Naked Gun
Old December 16, 2005, 07:07 PM   #6
DimitriS

Joe,

lol on your method. I want to tan a couple of hids cant find sources of the chemicals they require seeing as they say "go to a durg store" but up there they dont carry them

Anyways as for:
Quote:
When my #1 son was small we bought him such a vest, and he loved it and wore it to death, took him several years.
I used to wear vests all the time too. I still do actually they are great. If its abit of a warmer vest like the one I got at Bass Pro not too thin and not to thick makes a great thing to wear in cold fall/spring as well as a good layer to keep you warm in the winter

Oh and I'll lisen to Springmom she probrobly knows more then me about clothes seeing as I hate clothes shopping. Plus a mother does know best

Dimitri

(\__/)

Firing Line ID 30083
Old December 16, 2005, 07:16 PM   #7
yorec

Try Tandy's too - I know they've got patterns and plans for all kinds of leather clothing... Probably something close to what you want. They also will have supplies like leather lace and sewing needles specially designed for leather and the patterns/plans will include things like decorative buck stitching and such.

http://www.tandyleather.com/
Old December 16, 2005, 07:22 PM   #8
Badreno

Dimitris^

Quote:
lol on your method. I want to tan a couple of hids cant find sources of the chemicals they require seeing as they say "go to a durg store" but up there they dont carry them.
Here you go.
Tanning Kit Link

This has all the chemicals and instructions you will need. They carry other tanning and mounting kits as well.
Old December 16, 2005, 08:50 PM   #9
DimitriS

Badreno,

Thank you vary much

Dimitri

(\__/)

Firing Line ID 30083
Old December 17, 2005, 10:57 PM   #10
beenthere

DimitriS Tanning hides

Checkout www.muzzleloadingforum.com and you'll find info there on brain talling and vegatable tanning and several references.
The weak, and those unwilling to make the struggle, soon resign their liberties for the protection of powerful men or paid armies; they begin by being protected, they end by being subjected. Louis L'Amour
Old December 18, 2005, 12:34 AM   #11
Smokey Joe

Thx!

Sprigmom and Yorec--Yr input is appreciated. Will make the vests a bit oversized; getting more than a season of wear out of it was the whole idea. Will look into patterns @ Walmart and @ Tandy.

I'm intimidated by a "real" fabric store; don't want to go into Northwest Fabrics for example--I can use a sewing machine for patching work pants and that's about it. The results are functional but not pretty.

And yeah, I hate clothes shopping, too.

--Smokey Joe
Old December 19, 2005, 11:18 PM   #12
DimitriS

Thanks beenthere

Dimitri

(\__/)

Firing Line ID 30083