The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Handloading, Reloading, and Bullet Casting

Old August 14, 2005, 08:45 AM   #1
roger1shot

7Mag. Noslers 140 gr.?

Hey,
I've loaded alot of 160 gr.Nosler Partition,with 64.5grains of 7828 powder. I've been thinking about the 140 Partition's. Maybe if I hit the front shoulders of a whitetail the bullet want blow both shoulders away,with the lighter bullet? What do ya'll think? Or would the 160 grain bullet mess up less meat?
I have a box of 140 grain Nosler Partitions,on hand.
Old August 14, 2005, 11:08 AM   #2
smedley

Hey Roger,
I went from 160grn to 140grn in my 7mmRem because I got better accuracy out it. Also by shooting a little lighter you are moving it a little faster which will give you almost the same energy out to 300-400yrds.
My suggestion it to shoot what shoots best out of your rifle, both will drop a deer if he is hit right.
I have, and know others, that have dropped dear with 100gnr's out of a 243win.
Smedley

Put it in at the bench sent it out through the barrel!!!
Old August 20, 2005, 03:37 PM   #3
bugmantrap

Rodger, I believe your a bit over gunned for whitetail with the partition bullet in the 7 mag. Great bullet no doubt will hold together through most anything. But I would go with the hornady interlock,ballistic silver tips,interbond and the like. I hope i am not being to bold but, Nosler gives 64.0 grs as maximum load with a standard bullet in 160 grs. They recomend reduceing the load considerately for the partitions or failsafes. Just a word of caution.
My two cents
Trapper
Old August 26, 2005, 01:25 PM   #4
virginia scout

Well after losing 20% of the meat on shoulder shots I have gone to 120G nosler balistic tips for whitetails. I use IMR 4350 65 grains and I get 3269fps.

I also shoot for the lungs, A BT will take out both and usually the liver and heart at the same time. Almost no meat loss and they drop like a stone or at the most go 20 yards with a blood trail that is 3 feet wide.

Partitions just make a small hole on both sides, whitetails have soft bones.