The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The North Corral > Black Powder and Cowboy Action Shooting

Old June 26, 2000, 12:54 PM   #1
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

Went to another match last saturday.
Damn.
This is now going to cost me 4 new guns!

I'm going to get a pair of Thunderers for my pistols. I like the grips better.
The rifle will HAVE to eject to the side - I had 2 hot casings go down my shirt! OUCH!

A dual trigger box-locked double "Coach Gun" will be the ticket for the shotgun stages.

"Sweetheart - whats our account ballances?"
Old June 26, 2000, 01:04 PM   #2
Gunslinger

Damn George. I don't know whether to say congradulations or I'm sorry.
I think we all have a little cowboy in us. I have always liked the cowboy guns above all others. There is something about the balance and lines of a SAA and the rich case colors on an 1873 Winchester.

I almost forgot to ask. If and when you join SASS have you checked to see if anyone is using the name Kodiak?

------------------
Gunslinger

[This message has been edited by Gunslinger (edited June 26, 2000).]
Old June 26, 2000, 01:25 PM   #3
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I chose the handle Judge Kodiac...

Cowboy guns are pretty cool - but honestly I dont really like the feel of the SAA's grip.
I prefer the grips on the Lightning or Thunderer and am looking for a used on in .45LC right now. The Rugers are fine guns - but are big, heavy and feel awkward to me. The Lighting feels much more precise.
This is a grip angle issue with me... Dont say Bisely - because they still feel wrong and to my eyes LOOK wrong too. The Lighting is my choice and fits the Judge personna much better IMO.

Had a great time and got a terrific sunburn - which reminds me.

Need a good hat too.
Old June 26, 2000, 02:33 PM   #4
Gunslinger

Judge Kodiac. I like it!
I feel the same way about the Bisley's. Don't get me wrong, they are nice, just not for me. To each their own. I to like the feel of the Lightnings. Even though I have rather large hands the little grip frames feel good to me as well. Good luck in finding a pair and I will keep my eyes open as well.
The Marlin, in my opinion, is the way to go for a rifle.

------------------
Gunslinger
Old June 26, 2000, 03:41 PM   #5
Jeff, CA

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by George Hill:
The rifle will HAVE to eject to the side - I had 2 hot casings go down my shirt! OUCH![/quote]

Either a side-eject rifle or a hat with a bigger brim.

Old June 26, 2000, 04:06 PM   #6
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

I'm hat shopping this saturday...

Yeah, Its the marlin that I'm looking for.

Get this - I did see a Marlin in .45 LC that would have been PERFECT... but that MICRO GROOVE barrel it had KILLED IT. This was a custom build and SWEET. Everything honed and polished... but in MG rifling... [color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color][color=#FF0000]█[/color]?
Old June 26, 2000, 05:57 PM   #7
Bill Mitchell
Staff Alumnus

Howdy George,

As the enthusiasm levels goes up,the bank account goes down. You're smart in deciding what you want to shoot and sticking to it-I know a lot of folks that start with something,decide that they like another gun better,and then drop more cash to finally get where they want to be,equipment-wise.

The Marlin Cowboy has the ballard rifling. They are fine rifles and quite popular with CAS participants.

Bellicose Bill
Old June 27, 2000, 08:55 AM   #8
fal308
Staff Alumnus

Judge Kodiac
Welcome to one of the fastest growing segments of the shooting sports! Don't think you'll stop with only four firearms though. There are all those side matches; derringer, pocket pistol, and long range rifle.
Make sure you want to stay with .45 before you start buying. Quite a few shooters are turning to .38s though I like to ring the gongs with the big bores ( I use a pair of Vaqueros and an older Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag downloaded). Then of course for the single shot or long range rifle I have my Rolling Block. Though when Gunslinger is around the Rolling Block I have to keep an eye on him or my Rolling Block may get "lost"
Then there are the duds to be acquired. I'm still looking for a pair of batwing chaps. Plus another pair of pants and another shirt would be nice plus.....well, you get the picture.
Old June 27, 2000, 09:25 AM   #9
Ned Roundtree

Bug! What bug? I'm okay, it is everyone else that needs to be a cowboy. That's the great thing about cowboys is the fantasy and image of guns that you want for you are yours. Cimarron Thunderers are cool with the birdshead grips. I shoot the Vaquero Bisleys, the wife shoots Colts and her sister shoots Cimarron Lightnings (also, birds head grips). To each their own. Bug? I prefer to think that you have "seen the light".
Old June 27, 2000, 01:04 PM   #10
Gunslinger

That's right fal. That Rolling block is in serious danger of kidnapping when I'm around.

I'm still trying to convince (beg ) Terri I need the one you told me about. We already bought four guns this month so she is a wee bit reluctant. Maybe they will still have one next month. &lt;slober&gt;

------------------
Gunslinger
Old June 28, 2000, 08:23 AM   #11
terridarri

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial">quote:</font><HR> I'm still trying to convince (beg ) Terri[/quote] OMG isn't this just something, what you don't find on TFL, him begging, I don't think so, he usually just ask and if we got, he gets. Does anyone have a sympathy towel for Slinger and a pair of waist boots for me, its getting deep and I'm trying to wade out. LOL

------------------
WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDS THE SKY IS NOT THE LIMIT
Old June 28, 2000, 01:32 PM   #12
George Hill
Staff Alumnus

BWAH HA HA HA HA!!!!!

Heres a towel Gunslinger...
Old June 28, 2000, 02:18 PM   #13
terridarri

Thanks George, towels are getting short around here, well got to go do laundry so we can have some dry towels. LOL

------------------
WHEN IT COMES TO FRIENDS THE SKY IS NOT THE LIMIT
Old July 10, 2000, 03:44 PM   #14
Joey

Have you checked out the Single Action Shooters Society http://www.sassnet.com home page yet??

You should also check out the SASS form The wire. I've learned tons about CAS from the wire along with meeting lots of good people. They also have some excellent links for old timey clothes and gear.