The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > Hogan's Alley > Handguns: The Semi-automatic Forum

Old January 24, 2017, 04:10 PM   #1
Onidracs

EAA Witness Pavona opinions?

Looking for some opinions preferably from women that are experienced with the EAA Witness Pavona. Looking for a handgun for my wife to keep around the house. Just started teaching her gun handling basics and safety. She hasn't actually fired any firearm before. Going to ease her into shooting with my 22 rifle then revolver. She is very petite and something easier to rack, with a little weight to it, firing 380 acp seems like a good combination for her.
Old January 24, 2017, 08:42 PM   #2
HistoryJunky

I am not a woman or a Pavona owner but

The Pavona is a CZ-75 style pistol. They have the slide riding inside of the frame, and there is less gripping area. A lot of people have issues with this. I'd have your wife try racking a similar pistol in a gun shop first.

Just thought I'd chime in. I own 2 CZ pistols and my wife has a pretty hard time racking them. The .380 Pavona might have a slightly easier to rack slide due to a weaker recoil spring, but the slide gripping area would still be minimal.

I employ an overhand rack of the slide on CZs and find it to be the easiest way for them. YMMV. It doesn't work for my wife.
Old January 24, 2017, 09:36 PM   #3
railroader

From what I have read the 380 version is a fixed barrel gun while the 9mm gun is locked breech. Something to look into. Fixed barrel guns tend to have stronger recoil springs and they tend to recoil more than similar guns in the same caliber.
Old January 24, 2017, 10:17 PM   #4
Onidracs

HistoryJunky, railroader, thank you I appreciate information and opinions. She will definitely hold and fire several different models before we purchase. That way we can get an idea of what characteristics feel comfortable to her as a shooter. Fortunately my cousin works at range that has loaner firearms and I know people with various models that will loan them to us. This model interested me because it's said to be designed for femal shooters.
Old January 25, 2017, 12:01 AM   #5
Onidracs

@railroader I haven't taken into consideratin the 380 version being a fixed barrel gun while the 9mm gun a locked breech. That may make the recoil difference not worth the slightly smaller round. Definitely something to consider.
Old January 25, 2017, 08:02 PM   #6
tallball

This is a Colt Government Model 380. It's larger than the little Mustangs and whatever number the Sigs are called. It is steel and fires from a locked breech. The recoil is the lightest I have ever felt on a 380. My daughter doesn't like recoil, and I think she started shooting it when she was ten years old. The slide has always been easy for her to rack - I think the spring is lighter on the locked-breech guns. They made them from the 80's into the early 90's, IIRC. I think I heard someone is coming out with a modern copy soon.

Old January 25, 2017, 09:22 PM   #7
peggysue

EAA Witness Pavona I have a black with gold sparkle one in my collection. It is factory designed towards women. Trigger is very nice. The rear of the slide is “scalloped” to easily grasp it and pull the slide. Not a huge grip. Great price too.

http://www.personaldefenseworld.com/...a_rs_model0073
Old January 26, 2017, 08:13 AM   #8
walnut1704

I can't speak to the Pavona specifically, but I have two very similar guns and can speak to the format...by which I mean relatively large double stack .380's.

I have a Taurus PT638, which is discontinued, and it's one of my favorite guns. It's also my wife's favorite. It's a single action only, poly-framed, locked breach, 15 round .380. It is one of the softest shooting, most accurate, small autos I've ever owned. At this point though they are pretty difficult to find and magazines are almost impossible. I'd like another but they rarely show up on gunbroker.

I also have a Chiappa MC14. This is a DA/SA, alloy framed, blowback, doublestack knock-off of a Beretta 84. The main difference between it and the Beretta is the Chiappa has a fully enclosed slide. It has an ambi-safety that can be actuated with the hammer in either position. It uses Beretta 84 magazines, and comes with two. Chiappa is an importer and not a manufacturer. They have imported some guns that have been of questionable quality but the MC14 is made by the Turkish manufacturer Girsan. This is by my judgement a good quality gun. Metal frame, metal guide rod,and well finished. These are available from the big online gun shops, mine came from Kentucky Gun.

At first glance many shooters would say "you might as well get a 9mm" due to the size of these things. I'll disagree, though they may look almost as big in pictures and specifications they are noticeably more handy and just enough smaller to make enough of a difference. Not to mention they usually have larger magazine capacities than their bigger brothers in 9mm. All without the shock and awe (to a new or sensitive shooter at least) of a sub-compact 9mm.

On those occasions when I introduce a newer shooter to them they are well received. Especially by those of smaller stature. The big fat back straps combined with their weight make them very pleasant to shoot. They are very accurate, more so than the 9mm's of the same class in my experience. They have very large magazine capacities for a smallish gun. Ammo is a bit more expensive than the 9mm's. If you reload you'll find the .380 easy to work with. Both mine feed lead bullet reloads perfectly.

The Beretta 84 is of course another option. But I think you're on the right track with your thinking. I will might pick up a Pavona sometime myself. That's how much I like the larger double stack .380's.
Old January 26, 2017, 02:18 PM   #9
Onidracs

Thank you for the information and your knowledgeable opinions walnut1704 .

Peggysue do you own it in the 380?
Old January 26, 2017, 02:56 PM   #10
peggysue

Mine is a 9MM and the recoil is controllable. 380 might be better for a restricted shooter. Again the grips are good. Have them try one. They are really nice guns. Easy charging and shooting./

Last edited by peggysue; January 26, 2017 at 05:28 PM.
Old January 26, 2017, 08:12 PM   #11
tahunua001

it's sparkly...that's about the only opinion I've got on them. I thought about getting one, but I think I'll be going with other options this year.