The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old July 6, 2008, 06:18 PM   #1
sophijo

Handheld GPS Recommendations Please

Any recommendations for a handheld GPS for use in truck and field would be appreciated.
Thanks
Dave
Old July 6, 2008, 09:43 PM   #2
IZinterrogator

I was looking into this the other day because I thought my Garmin GPS V had died after 6 years of use (it hadn't, I just needed to take out the batteries and then put them back in). I have used my GPS V for both vehicle and field, and the Garmin Quest series seemed to be the one to have taken up the torch for dual-purpose use.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old July 7, 2008, 02:51 AM   #3
hknut

Garmin GPSMAP60CSX. Not cheap, but kick azz!

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old July 7, 2008, 06:34 AM   #4
ArmySon
Staff Alumnus

I use a Garmin Foretrex 201. It's strapped to my M4. I've hauled it around Iraq and it's gone through some serious dust storms, beatings and keeps on ticking.

Prior to the Foretrex, I used the Garmin Rhino 130. The 130 is much more expensive and has a lot of features. However, I wanted a smaller GPS so I bought the 201 prior to going to Iraq.
Old July 7, 2008, 07:09 AM   #5
Double Naught Spy

I really like my Magellan Crossover.
Old July 7, 2008, 07:59 AM   #6
IZinterrogator

Quote:
I use a Garmin Foretrex 201. It's strapped to my M4.
I've seen a lot of stuff attached to M4s, but that takes the cake.
"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!” - Samuel Adams
Old July 7, 2008, 04:04 PM   #7
grymster2007

I have the Garmin GPSMAP 60 CSx and I really like it. I have the City Navigator mapping software installed. I added a one Gb micro-SD card and have ~2/3 of the country loaded with plenty of space left over.

I've been wanting topo map software for it, but I'm waiting and hoping for a product with better resolution to become available. Meanwhile I have topo software for the computer in which I can create routes and such, then download them to the GPS receiver.

The display is easy to read, the controls are fairly intuitive, it has an electronic compass and a barometric altimeter. It acquires the birds fairly quickly and works well under heavy cover such as in the woods.

I'm pretty pleased with it.
Old July 8, 2008, 01:14 AM   #8
hknut

Dave, keep in mind you should tell us what it will be used for. I have a Garmin Etrex Vista. I used that for Backpacking and never had a problem. Then I join a 4x4 Search And Rescue unit. The Vista could not keep up in the wood at speed. I bought the 60CSX and I don't for see needing any thing else for at least 5 years.

Walk softly and carry a big SIG.
Old July 8, 2008, 03:13 AM   #9
hogdogs
Staff In Memoriam

IMHO I feel Garmin has had and still has the hands down lead in the race to make these monsters user friendly... I have operated many, many MANY units of various make and every Garmin I walked up to of any configuration was similar enuff in operation that I could operate the basic functions with out help. This is a plus when a boat capt. fails to instruct passengers the most important MOB (man over board) feature and he is the one tossed over. I have operated GPS since they were just a single channel receiver and will buy only Garmin.
Brent
Old July 8, 2008, 06:25 AM   #10
Martyn4802

+1 on Garmin's. My buddy has a Garmin on his airplane for navigation and when I was looking to buy one, he suggested that I buy a Garmin. I bought a Garmin Model 76CS, then later bought a Garmin Etrix as it is smaller and easier to carry hunting.
As mentioned above, you should specify what you want to use the GPS for, and that will dictate what you should buy.
I have not compared a Garmin to other makes, so I can't provide a comparison. However, I will be sticking with Garmin's as they are very easy to use.

Martyn
Old July 8, 2008, 09:36 AM   #11
redrick

One of the best things about Garmin to me is that you get a American when you call for technical help, I don't know about the others.
Old July 8, 2008, 12:01 PM   #12
Logs

I have a Megellan Map and love it. Check ebay for a used one around $40, I paid $170 for mine.
Old July 8, 2008, 03:44 PM   #13
Phlip

I'm shopping for a gps also. A friend let me use his Magellan Crossover a few nights ago. I was really impressed with it. He said he takes his to the woods and on the lake and it has never let him down. I'm not sure what the model number is.
Old July 8, 2008, 09:42 PM   #14
sophijo

GPS use

What got me started is that I stumbled accross a CCC (Civilian Conservation Corp) site in Michigan's UP; some concrete footings; flagpole anchor etc; and it peaked my interest. I want to "mark" it for future visits and hopefully a survey. I'd also like to use it driving around two trackers in the UP; and while fishing the Fox and Fence River systems. What do you think of the Delorme Earthmate; comes loaded apparently; with nothing more to buy.
Old July 8, 2008, 09:57 PM   #15
Double Naught Spy

Phlip, it is just called a Crossover.
http://www.amazon.com/Magellan-Cross...5572199&sr=8-1
Old July 8, 2008, 10:24 PM   #16
kingbubbatruck

Garmin 76 CSX

Well, I bought a garmin 76 CSX a while ago. I've been a longtime user of garmins (gps III, gps III+, gpsV, And someother garmin thing I put on my boat but can't remember the model number of ).

The 76 CSX has a built in compass, a nice screen, routing, etc...

REally a nice little hand held unit. I've got the roads and recreations, us maps, topo maps, and have even made custom topo maps for it.

Since I got that, I haven't really kept up with the market, but you can count me in as a Garmin fan....
Old July 9, 2008, 06:22 AM   #17
Martyn4802

Sophijo said:
"What got me started is that I stumbled accross a CCC (Civilian Conservation Corp) site in Michigan's UP; some concrete footings; flagpole anchor etc; and it peaked my interest. I want to "mark" it for future visits and hopefully a survey. I'd also like to use it driving around two trackers in the UP; and while fishing the Fox and Fence River systems. What do you think of the Delorme Earthmate; comes loaded apparently; with nothing more to buy."

I spend time in the UP also traveling the two tracks with the Garmin 76CS sitting on the passanger seat of my truck. It has a page that I keep open the has the compass showing direction and rate of speed. That GPS is a natural for what you need, and the map is pre-loaded on the 76CS, with a more detailed map available, which I have downloaded. I just hit the save waypoint, and the location I want to save is on the GPS for future use.

Martyn