The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Skunkworks > Gear and Accessories

Old June 19, 1999, 08:20 AM   #1
chucko

I've been doing reseach into buying a gun safe. I've narrowed it down to the Liberty Eagle E-25. http://www.libertysafe.com/safes/eagle.html . I feal it gives a good comprimise between security, featuers, and size for the money.

Does anyone have any comments on this safe good or bad? I'd like to draw from the experience of others to know if I'm making a mistake or not.

I searched the TFL database for "gun safe" and didn't find anything.

Thanks
Chuck
Old June 19, 1999, 12:09 PM   #2
g4

Before you make your purchase, you might want to check out:

Rocky Mountain Safe
P.O. Box 721
Springville, UT 84663
800-787-6259 www.rockymountainsafe.com

Great product at great prices.
And no, I do not work for them.

Regards,
g4
Old June 19, 1999, 01:25 PM   #3
David Schmidbauer
Retired Screen Name

Chucko;

Here is my take on gunsafes and this if after purchase of two.

Count the number of guns you currently own, add the number of guns you think you may buy in the next two years. Multi this by 2. Buy the next biggest safe that will fit all those guns. <G>

Really, it kind of works like that. I originally purchased a safe that would fit the 12 guns I owned. Then when I got it home my wife started to add things... jewlery, important papers, camera, etc to fill it up. Prior to my move I sold that safe and when I moved in my new place I purchased the biggest American Security Safe I could find. It cost me right @ $2K (which is a meer fraction of the total cost of my arms)

Here is another way to figure. Add up the total cost of your firearms (and if you want jewlery, cameras, papers, etc). What is a good, ONE TIME, cost factor to ensure the safety of these... 10%, 25%?

------------------
Schmit, GySgt, USMC(Ret)
NRA Life, Lodge 1201-UOSSS
"Si vis Pacem Para Bellum"

Old June 21, 1999, 02:38 PM   #4
Joe 543

I agree with David. My AMSEC is full. I only wish it was full of MY toys! But, I have to share........

Joe
Old June 23, 1999, 09:26 AM   #5
fal308
Staff Alumnus

I bought the Liberty Franklin about a year ago. Haven't regretted it since. I got the taller version (72" vs 60" if I recall correctly). I figured, like the other posts, to get a safe much bigger than I really needed. Turns out it still isn't big enough. The next safe (whenever that is) will be the double wide tall model. I bought the plain granite colored model instead of the fancy painted model and saved myself some money. Besides, it went into my basement.
Old June 23, 1999, 02:37 PM   #6
bfoster

There is another route: Some of our governmental entites are disposing of the vaults in which the old (paper) computer tapes were stored. Presumably they have upgraded storage systems. I came up with a safe which is about 66" high X 70" wide (double doors) X 24" deep inside. It has 4 inches of concrete (I don't know what kind of a fire rating this gives, but it is very high), and weighs about 5000 lbs. The inside did require racks and shelves, but for what I have in this unit, I'd happily do it again. Check your local gov't surplus auctions and bid low!
Old June 24, 1999, 01:41 AM   #7
4V50 Gary
Staff

bfoster you're a cheapskate like myself...I like that.

My latest safe is about 60x24x28, 1/8 thick walls with 1/4" thick door. Sargent & Greenleaf lock. Price. FREE. The Navy was throwing it out. I asked if I could buy it (there were about 20 out there, some were big double doors like the one you described). The guy told me they were getting ready to pay someone to dump them and if I would haul it off, they'd save themselves some paperwork. I insisted on paying and he told me that the Navy considered it trash for disposal and that I would be rendering them a service.

You know, I could get use to helping Uncle Sam.

------------------
Vigilantibus et non dormientibus jura subveniunt

Old June 25, 1999, 09:04 AM   #8
Futo Inu

Gary, no wonder our taxes are so damn high. Those are obiously very valuable. Lucky you, unlucky us taxpayers.
Old July 4, 1999, 01:58 AM   #9
Lucas

bfoster:

How did you get that safe home, and into your house? You must have alot of good friends.

Old July 5, 1999, 04:46 PM   #10
Matt19

Chucko:
When you get your safe, you will find out who your friends really are. Moving one into your home can be a real hassle. Especially if it is one that is very heavy. My safe weighs 750 lbs empty. It was nothing short of a nightmare moving it in. Big, bulky and heavy. What fun. I've never regretted buying it either.

------------------
If what you know, isn't what you do, then your training is incomplete.
Old July 6, 1999, 09:55 PM   #11
bfoster

Lucas... Simple, we used a rollback. It was let down with the regular winch cable doubled back to the headache of the truck with a "snatch" block attached to the safe. This (all but) doubles the working load which the cable can safely handle. We also had chains on the safe which were readjusted every couple feet just in case. It didn't go into the house, but into the garage. It was let down onto 1" cold rolled bar stock, and moved across the cement floor into position with a couple large pry bars. The driver & I did it without other help in less than an hour, though I'd own up to breaking into a sweat.
Old July 8, 1999, 11:54 PM   #12
Ringo

There was an informative thread, also called "Gun safes" on this board back in January. I passed along some good experiences with my Browning safe...do a search for the thread, it should be easy to find.
Old July 13, 1999, 06:01 PM   #13
PKAY

I've had a Cannon safe for 3 years. 24 rifle capacity left chamber, top shelf, 4 shelf right side for handguns and other valuables. 750 pounds empty. Cannon delivered the safe through an outsource company that does only safes (the driver had just delivered 3 behemoths to various B of A branches before showing up at my house). This guy did it in a whistle using a lift gate and a heavy duty hand operated hydraulic fork lift. Once installed over a 4" concrete slab, it was securely bolted to the floor. Beautiful green metalic finish and hidden hinges. I have been very satisfied with it. BTW, my wife too has contributed to filling it up!

------------------
Safe shooting - PKAY