The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old April 19, 2016, 07:17 PM   #1
JustABeginner

Question from a beginner

I recently bought a Remington 870 Express left hand. And I don't know how to clean it. I could take it in but I want to learn to do it myself. I know it's a little irresponsible maybe to get one and not know how to clean it. However my main question is there a difference in cleaning the rem 870 and cleaning the rem 870 exp. I ask because I have been watching YouTube videos and am just wondering.

Thanks.
Old April 19, 2016, 07:31 PM   #2
brasscollector

Not a shotgun expert but I stayed at a holiday inn express last night. All kidding aside I believe the difference between the 870 and the 870express is substitution of plastic parts in the express.
Old April 19, 2016, 08:06 PM   #3
JimPage

Telling a novice on here how to clean a particular gun is nearly impossible. Your best bet is to join a gun club near you. Nearly every community has one. You should have received a manual with your gun. Perhaps that would help. But your best bet is to get help from someone at a club. Most everyone in a club will be happy to help you.

Cogito, ergo armatum sum
Old April 19, 2016, 08:38 PM   #4
sgms

google how to clean a remington 870 express you should get a mess of returns that show you how. If still in doubt the club is a very good way as well as a good idea just for being in a shooting community if for no other reason.
Old April 19, 2016, 10:28 PM   #5
lefteye

I have five Remington 870 shotguns and four are left hand versions. I recommend studying the owner's manual first. Removal of the barrel simply requires unscrewing the cap on the front of the tubular magazine, but be careful so the spring in the tube does not fly out. Removing the action from the receiver requires proper sizes of drift pin punches and care to avoid scratching or damaging the receiver or other parts. AGAIN, study the owner's manual first! Oops - if you bought it used and didn't get the owner's manual you should contact Remington and request one. 2nd Oops - unscrewing the cap on the magazine tube will not allow the spring to fly out. Removal of the metal plug in the front end of the tube should be doe carefully to avoid allowing the spring to fly out.

Last edited by lefteye; April 20, 2016 at 12:38 AM.
Old April 19, 2016, 11:02 PM   #6
stonewall50

Question from a beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABeginner View Post
I recently bought a Remington 870 Express left hand. And I don't know how to clean it. I could take it in but I want to learn to do it myself. I know it's a little irresponsible maybe to get one and not know how to clean it. However my main question is there a difference in cleaning the rem 870 and cleaning the rem 870 exp. I ask because I have been watching YouTube videos and am just wondering.

Thanks.

Boy oh boy did you pick a good gun to learn on. The nice thing about an 870 is that cleaning it is a breeze. You can disassemble it for a quick field strip/cleaning very easy. Honestly...with mine...I just wipe it down and clean the action and the barrel after a duck hunt, turkey hunt, or a day of clays. I don't go crazy with taking it apart to clean it unless it is end of season or the gun was in some particularly bad conditions (rain/coast hunting over salt water/etc).

Basically your level of clean and mine may differ. But if you are disassembling for a complete cleaning, I recommend the owners manual and someone who has done it before to be there to help you.
Old April 20, 2016, 12:19 AM   #7
MurBob

While I clean the barrel with a barrel cleaning kit, I just use a spray cleaner / lubricant on the rest of the gun.. inside the trigger assembly, receiver, etc.

I only fire mine maybe 5 to 10 times a year if that.

Did you look on youtube?
Old April 20, 2016, 06:28 AM   #8
FITASC

Your owner's manual should show you exactly how to do this.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 20, 2016, 06:38 AM   #9
Virginian

And you can download an owner's manual FREE at www.remington.com
Two tips. First, Do NOT wipe the inside of the receiver with your finger and a thin cloth. There are sharp edges that WILL cut you. Second, an old toothbrush (and an old style shaving brush) can be your friend.
Old April 20, 2016, 09:15 AM   #10
g.willikers

The youtube videos for disassembly and cleaning should show you all that's needed, from a simple field strip to complete.
There's many varieties of the 870, but the process is the same with a few exceptions for accessories, modifications and such.
Old April 20, 2016, 11:33 AM   #11
JustABeginner

Thanks,

Thank you everyone, I bought it like a couple months ago, and fired it but haven't cleaned it since as my idea on cleaning it is I will clean it right before I use it. However, I was wondering and got some clarification as to the videos I watch on YouTube say Remington 870, and as I have a 870 Express I was wondering if there was different ways to clean each style so I used the one that said 870 and used it on my 87 Express I could ruin it. I did get a manual on when purchasing the 870 Express, but also looking for other ways with visuals and talking. I plan on cleaning it with my friend that also owns a 870, but I just thought I would try to learn and have some extra knowledge going into cleaning it myself.

Thanks everyone,
AJ

Last edited by JustABeginner; April 20, 2016 at 11:35 AM. Reason: Add some extra stuff
Old April 20, 2016, 11:43 AM   #12
g.willikers

Are you this paranoid about everything?
It's a pump shotgun.
You could probably drop it in a mud hole and clean it with a garden hose.
Don't sweat it, just use it in good health as the saying goes.
Old April 20, 2016, 12:26 PM   #13
FITASC

They aren't hard to take down for cleaning, nor are they hard to clean; and unless you dunk it in G.Williker's mudhole, a basic take down for cleaning should do 99% of the time.
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old April 20, 2016, 12:43 PM   #14
michaeldarnold

I've got an 870 Express, and it's left handed. My first owned gun. My first tear down. It's a cinch. Unscrew the cap, slide the barrel off the mag tube.

Place the bolt carrier group in free float by releasing the slide with the release button. Reach up into the receiver from the bottom and on the sides of the receiver you will find the retainer clips/bars. Depress the retainer clips alternating from side to side and the slide and bolt will slide out.

From this point you can clean the receiver and bolt. The bolt will separate into two pieces, the block with the pin, and the plate that rests on the slide bars.

Further dis-assembly to remove the trigger group really isn't necessary unless you dunked your gun in the pond or mud. Assembly is the reverse procedure.
Old April 20, 2016, 12:47 PM   #15
JustABeginner

Well kind of because this is my first gun, didn't know really anything about shotguns, and just want to make sure that it'll last until the parts get too warn out (if they do). But also want to make sure I do the right things with it and respect it enough to know more about it, instead of just making irresponsible decisions with a firearm.

Second thing-

So I necessarily do not need to clean the trigger mechanism all the time? And the past two times I used it were just shooting and getting the feel, and shooting at targets. No water hah.
Old April 20, 2016, 12:49 PM   #16
Spats McGee
Staff

First of all, congratulations on the 870. I'm not a shotgun expert, but the 870 is a solid choice. With even moderate care, and unless you use it as a boat anchor, it will likely outlast you.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABeginner
Thank you everyone, I bought it like a couple months ago, and fired it but haven't cleaned it since as my idea on cleaning it is I will clean it right before I use it.
I'd suggest switching that idea to cleaning it right after you use it. AFAIK, modern shotgun powders are not corrosive, but (personally) I'd rather put a gun away clean, rather than clean it right before dirtying it up again. And if you're hunting with it, you may have reason to need to clean it aside from the powder residue. Things like, oh, falling into the water while duck hunting . . . Been there, done that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustABeginner
However, I was wondering and got some clarification as to the videos I watch on YouTube say Remington 870, and as I have a 870 Express I was wondering if there was different ways to clean each style so I used the one that said 870 and used it on my 87 Express I could ruin it. I did get a manual on when purchasing the 870 Express, but also looking for other ways with visuals and talking. I plan on cleaning it with my friend that also owns a 870, but I just thought I would try to learn and have some extra knowledge going into cleaning it myself.
AFAIK, there's no difference in breakdown or cleaning between any of the 870 models. Unscrew the end cap to the mag tube, slide the barrel off, and you're ready to work. Only once have I really detail stripped an 870 for cleaning and that was only after the shotgun wound up completely submerged.
Old April 20, 2016, 01:50 PM   #17
g.willikers

Quote:
So I necessarily do not need to clean the trigger mechanism all the time?
Just spray the insides with a good cleaner, and follow with judicious drips of lube and operate it enough to spread the lube.
But do be careful spraying plastic parts as some cleaners can damage them.
Always best to test a small area first.
Shotguns are big inside with plenty of access.
Rarely do they need a complete disassembly for cleaning.
No rifling to worry about, either.
But don't overlook the mag tube, spring and follower.
They can use an occasional cleaning, too, when you get serious about it.
Old April 20, 2016, 01:58 PM   #18
michaeldarnold

^^^THAT^^^
Old April 20, 2016, 02:02 PM   #19
FITASC

And if you ever put enough rounds through it, you might want to change that mag spring once in a blue moon.
Old April 20, 2016, 06:15 PM   #20
Dreaming100Straight

Don't be overly concerned about the 870. Just take your time and don't force anything. There are different models of the 870 (police, wingmaster, and express), but all pretty are pretty much the same as far as cleaning. Unless Remington finally fixed a problem it was having with the less expensive Express, you will likely have a problem with fired hulls jamming the chamber. The problem is easily cured by polishing the chamber with steel wool wrapped around a wooden dowel powered by a common power drill.

All this stuff can be found on youtube. Just remember, if it isn't fitting that is because you don't have things quite right.
Old April 23, 2016, 11:45 AM   #21
The Rattler

Disassembly of 870

I very recently acquired an old 870 Wingmaster made in either the late 60s or mid 80s, and an 870 Express Magnum made in the mid 90s. I had neither disassembled one before for cleaning nor ever seen it done. I did not have an Owners Manual.

On YouTube, do a search for "Basic Take-Down & Reassembly (all models) Remington 870 Tips & Tricks #9" by Synchronizer. This video carefully describes and shows each step in elementary terms and is easy to understand for a novice.

Removing & replacing the bolt back into the receiver can cause a good man to "lose his religion," but don't let it frustrate you. Every first timer has this difficulty and learns how to "hold their mouth" to successfully complete the process. I am one who has no mechanical background or instincts, and I can now do it without difficulty.

There are other good videos on this subject, but the one I recommend above is the best in literally explaining each step thoroughly.

This is something that is relatively simple and has been mastered by likely millions of 870 owners.

Good Luck.
Old April 23, 2016, 01:22 PM   #22
T. O'Heir

Always nice to see a new guy with enough sense to ask about stuff he doesn't know about.
Read the manual. As mentioned, it'll tell you what you need to do. Cleaning an 870 is a long way from rocket science.
You do not have to do much more than remove the barrel for normal cleaning.
Very partial to these myself. http://www.amazon.com/Outers-Tico-To.../dp/B01CRD5JXU

Tags
870 , 870 express , cleaning , rem , remington