The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Conference Center > General Discussion Forum

Old June 15, 2019, 09:11 PM   #1
M88

M82G2 2.5x scope in Saving Private Ryan?

I just bought an M1D Garand from CMP with a Hi-Lux M82G2 scope offset to the side a bit so the Garand could eject brass, and a very cool leather cheek pad to offset your cheek since the scope was. I know the sniper (the American, not the German) in the movie Saving Private Ryan used a bolt gun not a Garand, think it was a Remington 1903A4? However, does anyone know if the scope on his rifle looked like it was an M82G2? I can't remember the scene exactly, but I seem to remember he "dialed in" the scope right before he shot the German in the tower, which means it probably was not my scope. Anybody remember better?
Old June 16, 2019, 02:58 AM   #2
HiBC

You can refresh your memory on YouTube. Saving Private Ryan is there in clips,and,I believe,the full movie.

I'm not a historical tech expert on the 1903A4,but I'll try for you.

The Army and the Marines had different versions of the bolt action Springfield sniper rifle.
Spielberg took some "poetic license" with the movie. The correct rifle for an Army sniper would be the 1903A4 equipped with the little 2 1/2 x 3/4 in diameter tube scope. While there MAY have been some minor variants,the common scope was the civilian Weaver 330,with a military designation of M-73(I believe)

That scope did all the work. It was NOT mechanically feasible to pop the little scope off and replace it with the long Lyman or Unertl target type scope as they did in the movie.(Which was used on Marine rifles in a 6X version)

That's just not accurate. For Hollywood,the big scope was "better drama" Maybe,but it compromised historical accuracy.

Late in WW2 they ordered some 1903A4 rifles equipped with the Lyman Alaskan 7/8 tube scope,also 2 1/2 X. It was a better scope,but the war ended and the order was canceled.

I'm sketchy on this next part,but I believe the basic Lyman Alaskan was given a facelift with a sunshade and turret covers ,etc to become the scope you have on your Garand. Production went to some outfit with the word "Ford" in the name,...but lets not call that historical fact. Its an "As I recall"
Old June 17, 2019, 10:18 AM   #3
T. O'Heir

The movie Saving Private Ryan was just that, a movie. It was not remotely historically accurate. You cannot remove the scope and put it back on a 1903A4(or any rifle) without re-zeroing.
The rear base screws were used to adjust the windage on a M73B1 Weaver scope. The later M84(also used on the M1 C and D) had internal adjustments but used the same Redfield base.
"...The Army and the Marines had different versions of..." Go here. http://www.snipercentral.com/m1903a4-m1903a1unertl/
Old June 17, 2019, 07:10 PM   #4
jmr40

He actually used 2 different scopes in different scenes in the movie. Not sure if that was a blooper, or intentional use of different scopes for different tactics.

https://www.quora.com/What-was-the-m...ctually-use-it

Winston Churchill
Old June 17, 2019, 11:20 PM   #5
tangolima

Quote:
Originally Posted by T. O'Heir View Post
The movie Saving Private Ryan was just that, a movie. It was not remotely historically accurate. You cannot remove the scope and put it back on a 1903A4(or any rifle) without re-zeroing.
WWII snipers from different nations were routinely issued with scope cases. They used those to carry rations?

-TL

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk
Old July 3, 2019, 04:21 PM   #6
M88

Popped in here on phone a few times but been away for past week or so... sorry for not getting back to this sooner. Thank you T.O,heir and jmr40 for those links. They explained everything I wanted to know. Apparently that scope on my m1D was NOT used in the movie, as I thought it might be. Not even close.

My eyes are slowly failing me over time, and iron sights are more and more difficult for me. Every rifle I own that CAN have a scope or red dot, will eventually get one. Of course many can't. So be it. With that scope on that M1D Garand I find I'm consistently pretty dead on at 100 yards. Way better than my standard M1 using iron. Haven't had it where I can shoot farther yet.

Thanks again guys