The Firing Line Forums

Go Back   The Firing Line Forums > The Hide > The Dave McCracken Memorial Shotgun Forum

Old May 19, 2016, 09:17 PM   #1
bamaranger

Beretta Silver Snipe ?

I ran up on the above Silver Snipe in a local GA. The gun appears in good condition cosmetically, if I get more serious I will look at it more closely. I know to check the barrel lever as tight to the right. The front sight ramp appears correct, the barrels do not seem cut. I will check the safety, .....does this gun have inertial cocking for the second shot?

If I recall it seemed to have 26" tubes, single trigger. I did not note if the safety was selective or not. The bottom barrel had 4 stars, I could not locate a marking on the top barrel, but I did not remove it from the receiver.

How would this gun be choked? Price is under $600 bucks and I have a lesser Lanber for trade to offer the shop, I could be into the gun for less than $400.
Old May 19, 2016, 09:19 PM   #2
bamaranger

search

Just searched the forum, it would appear the top barrel is modified if the gun runs true to form.
Old May 19, 2016, 09:41 PM   #3
FITASC

4 stars is typically an IC choke designation, so top barrel is more than likely a Mod.

IIRC, this fires the bottom barrel first so you need to check that the firing pin still works.

Are you saying you need to trade your Lanber AND 400 for this? Pass.

Lanber OR 400 is decent, assuming the gun works. This gun will be about 50-60 years old, so parts might be an issue
"I believe that people have a right to decide their own destinies; people own themselves. I also believe that, in a democracy, government exists because (and only so long as) individual citizens give it a 'temporary license to exist'—in exchange for a promise that it will behave itself. In a democracy, you own the government—it doesn't own you."- Frank Zappa
Old May 20, 2016, 12:24 AM   #4
bamaranger

trade

I don't know what they'd give me for the Lanber, I don't have much in it. The asking price on the Snipe is $579.

The O/U stood out on the rack full of cheap single barrels and beat up pumps. I was very close to an impulse buy, but checked myself. Seemed like a classy, good quality shotgun. Decent piece of wood on the butt. Solid rib if I recall.

The more I ponder this, the more I back out. The gun is not really choked usefully for me, to open.
Old May 20, 2016, 07:29 AM   #5
Virginian

I had a Golden Snipe - same basic gun with ejectors - and two sets of barrels and it was a nicely made piece. The trigger did reset via an inertia block, but never a problem. I couldn't shoot it well and sold it to a guy who still has it and still loves it.